Apple Apologizes and Offers $29 Battery Changes

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Apple has offered up an apology for the recent debacle of slowing down iPhone cpu's in older model phones. They just wanted to make your phone last as long as possible. Also, in addition to this mea culpa, they are going to offer a $29 battery change out for your iPhones (6 and later) throughout the year of 2018. I don't know about anyone else but that satisfies me and I'll get a new battery next year for my iPhone 7.

We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.

I'm pretty sated by this move as well. Wish they'd offer it for old iPod Nanos, too.

OK now just give us the option to optimize battery use or keep the battery at it's normal performance level.

I'd have to think that would reset upon installation of a new battery, or at least be dynamic enough to handle restoring performance (guessing that's what you intend?)

Yeah, I don't think this is going to help the situation. The issue is that WITHOUT DISCLOSURE, Apple throttled the performance on phones with aging batteries. They betrayed their customers' trust, full stop. Adding salt to the wound, every other major phone manufacturer has announced that they don't throttle performance, instead they change the way the batteries charge to mitigate the effects of a degraded battery. If Apple was honest and transparent about what they were doing from the beginning, there would be no issue. But they LIED about it to their customers, and were caught. That kind of damage to your reputation will last years, if not decades. A $29 battery offer is probably appreciated by those affected, but their next phone purchase may be from another brand regardless!

How many billions have they made by tricking people to upgrade their phones because of this scam? Also $29 may seem like a fair deal, but the reality is even with this they are going to make even more money off the people they tricked. These battery replacements should be absolutely free for the stunt they pulled.

First and foremost, we have never — and would never — do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades.
Funny how apple doesn't see cutting the speed of the cpu in half as degrading the user experience, that's exactly what it is and it drives them to upgrade. How dense is apple? The reality distortion field is still strong at apple.

8e1528353c706001f9214d785e760d5f0b811e455a57527fdd85223b30f2c1f2.jpg

Last edited:
$29 for a new battery - installed? That's a great deal. Considering most people didn't think this was a problem anyway, and most people buying new iPhones probably weren't doing it because the old was was "too slow" but because they need the newest, shiniest, I'll say we're fine. Hope lesson is learned.

We're sorry we got caught fucking you over by slowing down your phone to hide the reason some people hate non replaceable batteries, so we will only charge you a little bit to replace a battery that everyone else gets for $5. What an amazing deal right? Everyone else is only getting those crappy unbranded chinese batteries in their phones and you are getting an Apple branded chinese battery for only 6 times the price!

I haven't paid more than $8 for a replacement battery in years..my last one which was a high capacity upgrade over the stock cost me a whopping $4.99 shipped. $30 and you have to ship the entire phone in (Ergo you are out of your phone a week)? LAWL Get the F out of here with that noise apple. The fact that Apple users are so used to paying 10x more than everyone else for the same service that they are acting like this is a deal is absolutely hilarious to me.

Funny how apple doesn't see cutting the speed of the cpu in half as degrading the user experience, that's exactly what it is and it drives them to upgrade. How dense is apple? The reality distortion field is still strong at apple.
Nope, Apple just doesn't care. They just want to sell phones.

Talking head on CNBC just said he thought the cost to Apple for a battery was about $10. He is guessing only 25% or so will actually go for the replacement battery.

The way the tax code and corporate expenses are handled, Apple will probably write off the difference between $29 and their list price as a "promotional expense".

If you buy a new phone to fix the slow issue, they make money. If you replace the battery, they make money.

Talking head on CNBC just said he thought the cost to Apple for a battery was about $10. He is guessing only 25% or so will actually go for the replacement battery.

The way the tax code and corporate expenses are handled, Apple will probably write off the difference between $29 and their list price as a "promotional expense".

If you buy a new phone to fix the slow issue, they make money. If you replace the battery, they make money.
And probably not even 10$, apple uses small batteries, not even 3000 mah

Btw they going to do it quickly or you have to leave your phone?... I was told currently you have to leave it, which surprised me ( being as you always read apples service is incredible)

Each battery replacement they do should come with a free punch to the face. The should undo the update and replace all batteries in previous models for FREE. Treating the iphone like a status symbol is just crazy. Apple has been doing this for years and their costumer base just enables the bad behavior by upgrading.

If you are an Apple iphone user please seek help for your mental disorder.

Funny that all the butt-hurt is from non iPhone users. Most of the people who actually own an iPhone (including me) sees this as a great olive branch for what was pretty much a non-issue. That said, it's too bad they removed the headphone jack and TouchID which means my next phone won't be from Apple.

I get that this is an issue because they failed to disclose it but...

I don't get the hate for this. Apple wants you to be able to use the phone for as long as possible by extending the life of the phone battery by slowing other unnecessary processes down. People complained about poor battery life with the iphones in the past, this is one way they solved it, but now that it was disclosed that they achieved this by slowing down the phone to preserve battery life, people are up in arms, probably most android fanboys.

Yes, I do have an iphone 6 and noticed it slowed down but I care about how long it lasts than how long my apps load which isn't really that big of a deal..... It slowed down what? A millisecond? But at the same time its old and battery life hasn't really gone down much.

Had no issues prior to this “debacle” but I’ll take the cheap battery replacement.

I don't get the hate for this. Apple wants you to be able to use the phone for as long as possible by extending the life of the phone battery by slowing other unnecessary processes down. People complained about poor battery life with the iphones in the past, this is one way they solved it, but now that it was disclosed that they achieved this by slowing down the phone to preserve battery life, people are up in arms, probably most android fanboys.

Yes, I do have an iphone 6 and noticed it slowed down but I care about how long it lasts than how long my apps load which isn't really that big of a deal..... It slowed down what? A millisecond? But at the same time its old and battery life hasn't really gone down much.
I don't have a problem with what Apple is doing, I just didn't like that they kept it a big secret.

So they saw the masses enraged and with great reflection and swift action they waved the sparkly in the face of the crowds and lo, they all did sigh a great sigh for they knew their salvation was at hand and the great and powerful did pull them in as a child and held them. Do not worry little one,...it will be alright, and they did sigh a great relief for they knew they were safe,...even if they were $29.00 lighter in the pocket. :)

Yes, I do have an iPhone 6 and noticed it slowed down but I care about how long it lasts than how long my apps load which isn't really that big of a deal..... It slowed down what? A millisecond? But at the same time its old and battery life hasn't really gone down much.
The issue is people didn't know about and instead of getting the battery changed they went out and dropped money on a new phone. No Apple doesn't want people to keep their own phones. They want you to go out and buy a new one since they didn't disclose they were purposely slowing down phones. Apple knew what they were doing. Hope they get sue too hell and back. Even tho like all class action lawsuits the ones effect typically don't get much out of them.

It's funny how iphone owners think this is great, and non-iphone users laugh at how the iphone owners are still being ripped off.

iphone owners upgrade because they think their old phones are getting too slow. apple admits to slowing down older phones for "battery reasons." -> clearly wrongdoing here since they know downgrading performance will likely result in user upgrading.

iphone owners who were too cheap to upgrade now get replacement batteries for $29 installed instead of the regular $79 installed. they rejoice. -> um what? you all should be demanding that this "algorithm" be removed OR demanding a new upgraded phone, NOT be satisifed with a replacement battery...

The issue is people didn't know about and instead of getting the battery changed they went out and dropped money on a new phone. No Apple doesn't want people to keep their own phones. They want you to go out and buy a new one since they didn't disclose they were purposely slowing down phones. Apple knew what they were doing. Hope they get sue too hell and back. Even tho like all class action lawsuits the ones effect typically don't get much out of them.

I don't think the slowing down was noticeable whatsoever. Most people upgrade iPhones because of the need to have the latest and greatest... The slowing down was only noticed with benchmarking.

I don't think the slowing down was noticeable whatsoever. Most people upgrade iPhones because of the need to have the latest and greatest... The slowing down was only noticed with benchmarking.

If it wasn't noticeable, it wouldn't be known today... The simple fact that it came out publicly is because people noticed.

If it wasn't noticeable, it wouldn't be known today... The simple fact that it came out publicly is because people noticed.

It came out with a benchmark, if it was a big problem then there would of been tons of news how every 6/6s had to upgrade.

Instead we have news articles talking about people NOT upgrading and now we have posters saying people were forced to upgrade lol.

Any view point posted in this thread is still vastly superior to being with Samsung.

It's almost like they're a business.

Yep I certainly don't love Apple (their whole philosophy is basically the opposite of what I want from products) but as long as most consumers continue not caring why would Apple change? Every Apple blunder a bunch of neckbeards claim it's the end of Apple and that they are going to lose tons of sales, etc. It never actually seems to happen though.

I am not sure why anyone would think Apple would lose any business over this. There is a mentality at work which will serve to absorb this and keep on following the sparkly.

The only blunder I am aware of which is costing Apple sales is the removal of the headphone jack. I say that as my niece was an avid Apple fangirl. For Christmas she gave me a present. I opened it up, and inside was her iPhone, with a nail through it. I looked up and she had a Pixel in her hand, then said, "they fucking removed the head phone jack,..screw em".

She was really pissed off about that and seemed to take it very personally. Seems some Apple users really liked that head phone jack.

I honestly don't get how you folks are surprised that Apple, or any mega-company, tried to get away with this kind of thing. It is All about profit, and Zip about ethics. That's just the way big business works. I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I talking partisan politics.

It came out with a benchmark, if it was a big problem then there would of been tons of news how every 6/6s had to upgrade.

Instead we have news articles talking about people NOT upgrading and now we have posters saying people were forced to upgrade lol.

Any view point posted in this thread is still vastly superior to being with Samsung.

It came out with a benchmark because when he swapped out his battery his phone felt faster. How would one prove this? By running a benchmark. :p

software update “for checking battery health”

apple dummie- updates phone, slows the heck down, then opens app to tell you why it’s slow

phone is still slow

Planned obsolescence still in effect

nice try apple

All this would need to not be an issue is a little warning baked into the OS like OSX has. When your battery is degraded in your laptop, a yellow triangle comes up telling you that's the case. They could have done the exact same thing they did and most people who are using degraded batteries in 2 year old phones would have been fine with it. I really don't think this is going to be a big deal one way or another in the long run. Yes it would have been nice that Apple alerted you to performance issues so you could make that decision yourself if you want to keep rocking the old battery or get a new one. But that's not how Apple works most of the time. Apple makes decisions for you so you don't have to. If you're using an Apple product I expect them to tailor settings to whatever they deem important, so if you don't like how it works go buy something else... (Coming from someone with Apple products)

I think Apple is getting too big these days for the average person to really understand them as a company. They haven't changed their philosophy in a long time, but they have been gaining more customers who aren't familiar with how they operate. Apple has always been a company who makes a device how they want it to work, then it's up to the user to conform to it. In order for the relationship to work well, the user must be fine with letting Apple control the experience, regardless of what it is. If you're worrying about things like slowdown because of old batteries, then you are not really their intended customers. If you disagree or try to fight the Apple experience, you're going to have a bad time. If you can handle giving up control, you'll be more than happy with your devices.

I am not sure why anyone would think Apple would lose any business over this. There is a mentality at work which will serve to absorb this and keep on following the sparkly.

The only blunder I am aware of which is costing Apple sales is the removal of the headphone jack. I say that as my niece was an avid Apple fangirl. For Christmas she gave me a present. I opened it up, and inside was her iPhone, with a nail through it. I looked up and she had a Pixel in her hand, then said, "they fucking removed the head phone jack,..screw em".

She was really pissed off about that and seemed to take it very personally. Seems some Apple users really liked that head phone jack.

Dude your neice sounds crazy. Was that the only gift she gave you? What was your response to getting a broken present?

You are talking to someone who never knew phones had headphone jacks to begin with. :)

Yeah, I don't think this is going to help the situation. The issue is that WITHOUT DISCLOSURE, Apple throttled the performance on phones with aging batteries. They betrayed their customers' trust, full stop. Adding salt to the wound, every other major phone manufacturer has announced that they don't throttle performance, instead they change the way the batteries charge to mitigate the effects of a degraded battery. If Apple was honest and transparent about what they were doing from the beginning, there would be no issue. But they LIED about it to their customers, and were caught. That kind of damage to your reputation will last years, if not decades. A $29 battery offer is probably appreciated by those affected, but their next phone purchase may be from another brand regardless!
Looks to me like the damage lasted minutes as evidenced by this thread. Apple sells some mighty tasty kool-aid. :p

I don't know about anyone else but that satisfies me and I'll get a new battery next year for my iPhone 7.

I'm pretty sated by this move as well.
$29 for a new battery - installed? That's a great deal.
Funny that all the butt-hurt is from non iPhone users. Most of the people who actually own an iPhone (including me) sees this as a great olive branch for what was pretty much a non-issue.

Back