Apple Announces The iPad Pro

I don't think most people are that stupid when comes to devices in the price range. Plus I don't think there's as much overlap in the target markets of a Surface Pro and iPad Pro as some might think.

One area where there is overlap, designers and artists that are interested in digital ink, the iPad Pro might be an appealing alternative to an x86 Windows device. But for people that are looking for traditional laptop capabilities, desktop software, expansion and docking capabilities, etc., I don't see that crowd flocking to the iPad Pro.

From what I've seen I like the iPad Pro, I think it has a place but it's nowhere near being a laptop replacement. There's nothing about the iPad Pro beyond it's size that addresses the inherent issues mobile OS tablets have in being true laptop replacements.

Yup. If it was a surface competitor Id look at it next month since I'm planning on buying a laptop and surface pro is one I'll look at add are some of the feels and perhaps a MacBook(long shot but I'll look)

I have a 10" Windows 10 tablet and while yes I can run all kinds of Windows software on it, no way in hell I would do anything truly productive without whipping out the keyboard and mouse.

So while I am impressed with the fact that you can run windows on such a small device, I think the OS is too complex for the form factor. Where as something like iOS was designed from the ground up to work in a small from factor with limited inputs.

So while I am impressed with the fact that you can run windows on such a small device, I think the OS is too complex for the form factor. Where as something like iOS was designed from the ground up to work in a small from factor with limited inputs.

Windows RT is a subsystem that was built from the ground up to work like iOS with tablets and touch. The problem is, which is well known, not enough quality apps in the Windows Store. It's not exactly a wasteland but it's just not nearly good enough to compete with the App Store and Google Play. I think that situation will improve if Windows 10 becomes popular, as the Xbox moves to Windows 10 and the migration tools that make it easier to move iOS and Android apps over come online.

I doubt app parity will happen anytime soon, but if there are indeed in time 1 billion or more Windows 10 devices and Microsoft sticks with Windows 10 beyond three years which I'm pretty sure is part of the plan to help build up the number of Windows 10 clients before another major OS release, then the app situation could at least be decent relative to the competition.

This is by far the biggest challenge of Windows 10 IMHO. Even if the numbers are there and Windows 10 but the app situation doesn't improve, Windows will be in tremendous trouble. Without a healthy app ecosystem Windows can't be a competitive consumer OS.

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2......two years later.

But you do realize that people will say Apple invented it. :D Also, they will say that this is why Microsoft is so far behind, because they never would have thought of something like this. :rolleyes:

Meh, I will order one and try it out for a while. If I end up not liking it, resale is always pretty good on Apple products.

So if one company makes sliced bread, no other company can make it also?

Of course not. It's just that Apple has built its reputation on being ultra-innovative and while every company will over-hype products at least occasionally, Apple always seems to have that dialed in to 11. Take for example their description of the Smart Keyboard Cover for the iPad Pro:

The only thing we didn’t reinvent was the alphabet.

The new Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro.

For many, a keyboard remains a convenient way to get work done or get thoughts down. The new Smart Keyboard completely reimagines this centuries‑old invention to add even more flexibility to iPad Pro. With new technologies that free you from switches, plugs, and even pairing, the Smart Keyboard is the perfect blend of full‑size utility and outstanding portability.

http://www.apple.com/smart-keyboard/

In all fairness I'm not saying that Apple actually copied the Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro from the Surface line. Apple did file a patent for this idea back in 2011 that was granted in 2012. Given that the Surface line came out in 2012, it looks like Apple and Microsoft were close to each other in thinking of roughly the same idea.

But when a significant competitor has had a actual product in market for three years before you, even if you had the same idea independently of that competitor at roughly the same time, they still came to market three years before you and in that time have had multiple interactions of the concept. It's just the kind of thing that people naturally scoff at, and not only Apple, Microsoft and others do the same thing and get the same kind of criticism. But again, with Apple the hype dial is always at 11.

Back