Apple Announces The iPad Pro

Steve's description of the announcement is every bit as exciting as the announcement was.

They basically just copied everything that Samsung has been doing for years (split-screen, stylus). If I'm going to spend $800 on a tablet, it will be a Surface Pro 3 because at least you can use it for actual productivity tasks.

The initial rumors that came out about this were right on the money and it's clearly targeted at the same markets as larger pen enabled Windows tablets and hybrids.

They basically just copied everything that Samsung has been doing for years (split-screen, stylus). If I'm going to spend $800 on a tablet, it will be a Surface Pro 3 because at least you can use it for actual productivity tasks.

Digital pen enabled devices have been around for much longer than the Surface or Samsung SPen (Wacom) devices. But the spirit and current market motivation for this is the growth in larger Windows tablets and hybrids, almost all of which have some kind of pen technology.

Digital pen enabled devices have been around for much longer than the Surface or Samsung SPen (Wacom) devices. But the spirit and current market motivation for this is the growth in larger Windows tablets and hybrids, almost all of which have some kind of pen technology.

Yes but Samsung was the one that started really pushing it with the current generation of tablets and phones.

Regardless, I don't see the iPad Pro competing with the Surface Pro. The notion that the A9X chip is going to compete with Skylake is ridiculous on its face. Desktop level performance? Maybe if you are comparing it against a 5 year old eMachine or a Mac but I don't see the A9X competing with even a Geforce GTX 960. And then there is the fact that it doesn't run the full version of Office.

iOS power users rejoice!

ahhaa. 800 stones for an arm powered tablet? yeah, no

Yes but Samsung was the one that started really pushing it with the current generation of tablets and phones.

Regardless, I don't see the iPad Pro competing with the Surface Pro. The notion that the A9X chip is going to compete with Skylake is ridiculous on its face. Desktop level performance? Maybe if you are comparing it against a 5 year old eMachine or a Mac but I don't see the A9X competing with even a Geforce GTX 960. And then there is the fact that it doesn't run the full version of Office.
Forget desktop performance; people who would want an Apple tablet probably aren't going to be looking for the best CPU. The fundamental problem with this competing against Surface Pro is the OS. I expect Apple to find out that their mobile tablet users aren't going to want a bigger device that doesn't run their desktop apps.

Look at the size of those, who are they for, giants? They need to be at least 3 times smaller.

Surface Pro is something I'd buy if I had the cash and need. It is getting up there in size and weight though.

12.9 inches is really pushing it. I'd say it is too big. We're at laptop sizes and probably weight. It does not offer the mobility and flexibility of a tablet, but will probably be a low battery life and hot laptop. I think Apple missed the mark here, but it will sell anyways.

Look at the size of those, who are they for, giants? They need to be at least 3 times smaller.

I guess I am the odd man out ... as my eyes have gotten older I want bigger ... I won't get a phone smaller than 5" ... with that big a phone a 13" tablet is perfect ... I need to upgrade my 27" 1440P monitor to 4K next year (hopefully something in the 30s) ... and my projector I use for TV is 100" ... sometimes smaller is neither more convenient or better :cool:

Stylus has been there for the longest time way before the Samsung even introduce any mobile device. Same as Split screen....

Phone yes, in tablets though Samsung has pushed it the Surface Pro line has sort have been main event for last couple of years, at least with larger devices. I know there is a Galaxy Note 12 that's in this class but I don't think it's been much of a market hit.

The iPad Pro is aiming at a narrower market than the Surface Pro and it think that's one reason why Microsoft was happy to do an Office demo.

Will this thing Bend in half I think it's great we have such small devices with little or no practical use except taking pictures and videos.

I know plenty of people with surface pro's and none of them would use this instead. They all use them as laptop replacements and run all their windows software on them.

I write software and work from the couch sometimes, so I went with an ultrabook instead (the surface kickstand is better for a table), but I really like the surface pro 3 kit.

So...

32GB model = $799

128GB model = $949

128GB LTE model = $1049

Stylus add-on = $99

Keyboard case = $169

That is some serious profit margin they have going on there.

So...

32GB model = $799

128GB model = $949

128GB LTE model = $1049

Stylus add-on = $99

Keyboard case = $169

And some seriously stupid (with their money) fans that buy the crap.

And some seriously stupid (with their money) fans that buy the crap.

This is to general a statement. Im assuming Apple is looking for broad enterprise adoption with this (they pounded medical hard in their demo, and I know ipads are in airplanes) and an extra 100 dollars isnt much in those contracts.

Seconded.

This is to general a statement. Im assuming Apple is looking for broad enterprise adoption with this (they pounded medical hard in their demo, and I know ipads are in airplanes) and an extra 100 dollars isnt much in those contracts.

Sorry, next time I'll be sure to pass it by you first. :rolleyes:

I was talking about your average consumer, not an industry. Though, it begs the question as to why you would spend so much on something that can be accomplished on a $200 android tablet....

I guess I am the odd man out ... as my eyes have gotten older I want bigger ... I won't get a phone smaller than 5" ... with that big a phone a 13" tablet is perfect ... I need to upgrade my 27" 1440P monitor to 4K next year (hopefully something in the 30s) ... and my projector I use for TV is 100" ... sometimes smaller is neither more convenient or better :cool:

Might be cheaper to buy some reading glasses :)

So...

32GB model = $799

128GB model = $949

128GB LTE model = $1049

Stylus add-on = $99

Keyboard case = $169

Fuck that pricing for an ARM tablet and it probably only has 2GB DRAM. I'd rather get a Surface Pro 4 or a cheaper better ARM tablet with SAMOLED display.

This is to general a statement. Im assuming Apple is looking for broad enterprise adoption with this (they pounded medical hard in their demo) and an extra 100 dollars isnt much in those contracts.

Great, so now the cost of my medical insurance will be going up even more to pay for these giant tablets.

Except, all the medical offices I've been in over the past year (so many I've lost count) were using PC's. Even the disk they provided with the CT scans came with a Windows application to view the images.

Guess it's mainly the medical schools that have bought into this over priced apple junk.

Might be cheaper to buy some reading glasses :)

It is the price of being an enthusiast ... you are not a computer enthusiast if your monitor is smaller than 24" (unless you have three or more then you get your status back) ... you are not a home theater buff if your viewing screen is smaller than 60" (same as you cannot be a home theater enthusiast with fewer than 5 speakers) ... c'est la vie ... being an enthusiast comes with its price (but also the rewards) :cool:

I think they're perfect, the smaller one should cover a wall in my house. The bigger one would make a cool garage door.

It is the price of being an enthusiast ... you are not a computer enthusiast if your monitor is smaller than 24" (unless you have three or more then you get your status back) ... you are not a home theater buff if your viewing screen is smaller than 60" (same as you cannot be a home theater enthusiast with fewer than 5 speakers) ... c'est la vie ... being an enthusiast comes with its price (but also the rewards) :cool:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

Sorry, next time I'll be sure to pass it by you first. :rolleyes:

I was talking about your average consumer, not an industry. Though, it begs the question as to why you would spend so much on something that can be accomplished on a $200 android tablet....

This is not targeted at average consumers. This is targeted at professionals, artists and businesses use that won't have any problem with the price. Also to some extent students looking for digital pen note taking which isn't as easy with the money but get much from digital pen notes. This crowd would be toughest because there are lots of good and cheaper digital pen tablets for this purpose and the iPad Pro doesn't look to bring anything at new to this area for now.

So...

32GB model = $799

128GB model = $949

128GB LTE model = $1049

Stylus add-on = $99

Keyboard case = $169

Yeah, I saw that. They went totally stupid with pricing for the Pro model and accessories. Not that anyone is surprised, but they pole vaulted over Microsoft's positively stupid pricing for their useless Surface tablets. Still, it'd be really funny-cakes if the iPad Pro outsold the Surface Pro (and it probably will too).

Not to worry, there will be lots of suckers and sheep slurping this up like gravy and biscuits or a 2 bit whore

"It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it." - Steve Jobs, Apple co-founder

Funny how Apple is even copying their competitors product names. They had to add Pro to the name to try and make people think its as good as the Surface Pro.

Doesn't Apple have any original ideas left?

Why didn't they just call it the Super-Mega iPad :)

Back