Apple announces over the ear headphones called the Apple AirPods Max...Price? $549

I saw this, the fact that Apple products usually does not have any significant discount, this is going to be a tough sell. The airpods and airpods pro specifically are great products for the price point. These, not so sure. The Sony WH-1000XM4 started at around $350 but have been discounted down to $280. Going to be rough paying double.

I saw this, the fact that Apple products usually does not have any significant discount, this is going to be a tough sell. The airpods and airpods pro specifically are great products for the price point. These, not so sure. The Sony WH-1000XM4 started at around $350 but have been discounted down to $280. Going to be rough paying double.
They will sell. Going to be a huge status symbol to younger kids. Just like beats were.

I hate my AirPods Pro. They sound like dookie and they're overpriced. I can't imagine these sound as good as other headphones in this price range. Apple does some things well and sound is not one of them.

I hate my AirPods Pro. They sound like dookie and they're overpriced. I can't imagine these sound as good as other headphones in this price range. Apple does some things well and sound is not one of them.
I would expect them to be similar to beats.

I would expect them to be similar to beats.
Those are terrible as well. They're pretty much only good for bass-heavy music and not much else. Their range is quite limited. Maybe Apple learned something from them and increased the range, but we'll see. Apple has all the R&D in the world and it makes me wonder what they're doing with all of it sometimes.

Ugh, disappointing features and pricing.

High-end cans are either wired or have an optional wired input - full stop. Another fail, these won't natively support the old iPod classics with the Wolfson DAC - IMO still the highest quality audio device Apple ever made. Not surprising since they've all but done away with headphone jacks, but still disappointing... Worst of all, give it a few months before kids start claiming Apple invented the concept of over-ear headphones :rolleyes:

My concern isn't so much the price by itself as whether or not they're worth that price. Yeah, it'll be great if they sound better than your Bose or Sony headphones, but will they sound $200 better? That could be tough. Apple has a knack for really high-quality audio as of late (the HomePod line and its laptops in particular sound surprisingly good), but there's also such a thing as diminishing returns — it may be hard to notice the difference if you're listening to thumping dance music.

I won't be surprised if the AirPods Max sell well. Don't ignore the appeal of baller status. But I also won't be shocked if they're discounted several months from now.

If Beats by Dr Dre can rip people off, why not Apple...
That may be the only thing Apple learned after acquiring Beats is the massive ripping off of their customers. But then again, they've been doing that for years now. I'd rather buy a pair of Sennheiser HD 660S any day over these things.

Step 1. remove all headphone jacks so no one can use their headphones. Step 2. Sell inferior/expensive replacement for items you just made 'obsolete'

ugh
You can use any Bluetooth headphones you want. So I’m not sure what you’re on about. Or any wired headphones you want with an adapter. Sounds like complaining to complain.

As for the topic at hand, there are plenty of headphones that cost $1000 or more. So having a high cost isn’t really what this is about. The reaction a lot of you are having is because it’s an Apple product. And quite frankly that’s silly.

It makes far more sense to talk about price to performance or even status (as has been brought up) both of which are of course in question. Like Chelica noted, there are options from both Bose and Sony that are known for their extremely good noise cancellation and audio quality as well as comfort and ergonomics. $200 better than those isn’t likely.

Although I do think Apples solution will definitely be in the ballpark of those headphones. It’s not like they’re lacking in r&d, engineering, or haven’t made similar products. And H1 is “nice to have”. The rest will be filled in by fashion and brand conscious.

You can use any Bluetooth headphones you want. So I’m not sure what you’re on about. Or any wired headphones you want with an adapter. Sounds like complaining to complain.

As for the topic at hand, there are plenty of headphones that cost $1000 or more. So having a high cost isn’t really what this is about. The reaction a lot of you are having is because it’s an Apple product. And quite frankly that’s silly.

It makes far more sense to talk about price to performance or even status (as has been brought up) both of which are of course in question. Like Chelica noted, there are options from both Bose and Sony that are known for their extremely good noise cancellation and audio quality as well as comfort and ergonomics. $200 better than those isn’t likely.

Although I do think Apples solution will definitely be in the ballpark of those headphones. It’s not like they’re lacking in r&d, engineering, or haven’t made similar products. And H1 is “nice to have”. The rest will be filled in by fashion and brand conscious.
Apple has had notoriously bad sound quality, so we're all eager to see if this keeps the trend of awful, overpriced sound equipment. I own many Apple things and still bash Apple. No idea why you're defending them for no reason.

And bluetooth DAC's in general are shit, these are in the bluetooth device. Audiosnobs know that wired headphones to a good DAC are superior.
Cool, but they aren’t convenient.
Audio snobs know that if you listen to music on Spotify then you’re a scrub. Better be on FLAC!

If that’s your attitude then 99% of headphones that are made for people and audio equipment in general don’t even meet your criteria. You have to be a hipster with a dedicated audio device that has a good dac along with your portable amp and $1000+ headphones.

I think it’s needless to say these aren’t for them. And that’s fine. Not every product is for them. And in fact few are. I would say again, if that’s your attitude, then you’re missing the point.

Apple has had notoriously bad sound quality, so we're all eager to see if this keeps the trend of awful, overpriced sound equipment. I own many Apple things and still bash Apple. No idea why you're defending them for no reason.

I would say the opposite. Their HomePod smart speaker is known to be amongst the best sounding smart speakers and they have had notable succsss with the beats wireless pro for people who like true wireless headphones while being active.

As for “defending them” it seems to me that there are plenty doing the opposite out of their perception. So if that’s fine then you should be just as okay with the opposite “bias” since that is what you perceive that I have. I personally feel that my assessment was fairly level, given especially my conclusion. But clearly that wasn’t of interest to you.

I should show this to my wife. She wants the Pro's, but all she does is use them to talk to people when she's cooking, holding the baby, driving, etc. I don't think it's worth spending $250+- on them when she already has AirPod's 2nd gen. I wish I never bought Apple products, because they are so overpriced.

I have no doubt in my mind that this headset will sell like crazy, just because you'll be cool if you do buy them.

I like my Aftershokz, aside from the name which annoys me the pointless use of a Z for what? They sound about as good as any of those in earbud things while not always falling out.

I should show this to my wife. She wants the Pro's, but all she does is use them to talk to people when she's cooking, holding the baby, driving, etc. I don't think it's worth spending $250+- on them when she already has AirPod's 2nd gen. I wish I never bought Apple products, because they are so overpriced.

I have no doubt in my mind that this headset will sell like crazy, just because you'll be cool if you do buy them.
I've had them fixed once, replaced twice, and they're starting to go out again. I hate them with a fiery passion. Every other firmware update seems to break them in some way when they finally start working again. They are not a good product. And even when they work, the sound is not great.

If they sound good... say Audeze Mobius bluetooth sound quality good or so and has excellent integration with your phone etc $500 isn't too bad tbh.

Watch as I scare off the Apple user with their greatest nemesis, the headphone jack.
Nd9GcQcqyAVYZtm-wlaW0IZR9n1fpfiOdyBKzC-jg&usqp=CAU.jpg
To be fair, a lot of Apple products tend to have a high cost. The reaction is natural when something normally cheap costs so absurdly high. Do you think this is normal?
apple.jpg
Realistically if you're buying a $500+ pair of headphones then you'd want a headphone jack, because it produces the best audio quality. Apple deleting the headphone jack was a bad joke, but these headphones are just sad.

Watch as I scare off the Apple user with their greatest nemesis, the headphone jack.
View attachment 307028
Reading comprehension. Read what you quoted. This takes a $7 adapter
To be fair, a lot of Apple products tend to have a high cost. The reaction is natural when something normally cheap costs so absurdly high. Do you think this is normal?
View attachment 307029
If you want stuff built to these standards then yes. I also find it ironic that the only thing you can site is an optional accessory that a lot of pros would forgo anyway in favor of using their own ergotron arms. And instead of Apple forcing you to buy an arm or a stand that they don’t even need they gave the option to simply opt out. If you ask me it sounds like Apple made every possible attempt at making it so people didn’t have to buy this.
Realistically if you're buying a $500+ pair of headphones then you'd want a headphone jack, because it produces the best audio quality. Apple deleting the headphone jack was a bad joke, but these headphones are just sad.
Again. Reading comprehension.
Clearly the intended user is phone users in general or iPhone users in particular.
99%+ of which are using a music steaming service. Apple Music, Spotify or otherwise. If you claim that this group of people is all about hi-fi best audio ever then you’re full of it. They’re catering to people who live off their phones, have a mobile lifestyle. Spend some amount of time traveling, and do most of their work from a laptop.
This has little or nothing to do with audiophiles. If you’re going to respond back, actually read what I write this time.

I reserve judgement until the reviews are out. High quality headphones can get really pricey. The funny thing is that the Apple fan boys bought everything in stock already. Apple.com has a 12 to 14 week turnaround on orders now.

i don't understand the cult of apple. i'm sure these headphones will be a good product. i'm also pretty sure that there's already others on the market that do the same thing or better for less. and probably don't look butt ugly either. but then beats were the same way and those sold like hotcakes.

For me it all depends on their sound. Right now my airplane setup is Sennheiser IE800S IEMs for sound quality, and then I wear my Sony WH-1000XM4 over the top of them just for their active noise canceling. So if Apple can match the sound of my IE800s and match the noise cancelling of the Sonys, $500 is about a $800 savings for me and it would be way more convenient.

That being said, I highly doubt they will sound as good as my IE800s. But I am curious to give them a listen in an Apple store and find out.

i don't understand the cult of apple. i'm sure these headphones will be a good product. i'm also pretty sure that there's already others on the market that do the same thing or better for less. and probably don't look butt ugly either. but then beats were the same way and those sold like hotcakes.
Actually, pretty much all noise cancelling headphones suck. I own the Sonys and Quietcomforts and they both sound like garbage. I would pay $1k for a pair that combined something like HD650 sound quality with the Sony noise cancelling ability.

I doubt these Apple ones will be able to pull that off, but IF they did these would sell like hotcakes and be a bargain.

Reading comprehension. Read what you quoted. This takes a $7 adapter
Yea and it's still more cumbersome than including it in the device.
apple-iphone-watch-20160907-5185.0.0.jpg
If you ask me it sounds like Apple made every possible attempt at making it so people didn’t have to buy this.
Doesn't sound like it'll appease their shareholders.

Clearly the intended user is phone users in general or iPhone users in particular.
What gave it away? Was it the $500+ price tag?
99%+ of which are using a music steaming service.
Citation needed.

I'm sure they'll sound great and I'm sure it'll be sold out the day they're released. Doesn't change the fact that Apple users will pay $500+ for them and I get to laugh at them... again. That's like half the price of a Macbook. That's more expensive than a PS5. That's more expensive than a RTX 3070. None scalper prices of course. My Kingston Hyper X headphones are pretty awesome and I paid like $40 for them.

Yea and it's still more cumbersome than including it in the device.
View attachment 307061
And? Cry more. Again, no one is using high Fidelity audio anymore. So it doesn’t matter. Stats below. Feel free to refute.
Doesn't sound like it'll appease their shareholders.
You’re such a hypocrite. You complain about pricing and then complain About profit.
What gave it away? Was it the $500+ price tag?
good troll.

Citation needed.
No wonder why we always get into arguments, you are out of touch with the industry.
https://www.spin.com/2019/09/music-streaming-80-percent-of-music-industry-overall-revenue/
This is your old data on all music sales and not just while people use phones. Virtually nobody on computers or phones even downloads music anymore. Let alone rips CDs or listens to high Fidelity flacs.
I'm sure they'll sound great and I'm sure it'll be sold out the day they're released. Doesn't change the fact that Apple users will pay $500+ for them and I get to laugh at them... again. That's like half the price of a Macbook. That's more expensive than a PS5. That's more expensive than a RTX 3070. None scalper prices of course. My Kingston Hyper X headphones are pretty awesome and I paid like $40 for them.
Good for you. Part of the reason why your posts regarding Apple are so annoying is because you only value a very specific set of things. And other people value other things you consider to be stupid and then you have to take a crap on it.

Cynicism aside, at the end of the day it just sounds to me like you hate Apple because you wish you could have their business model.

Last edited:
I thought my B&O H9 was expensive...

That said though, if the sound quality is phenomenal it may just be worth it for me. The bluetooth connectivity on my Airpods and Airpods Pro are super easy to use and reliable.

And? Cry more. Again, no one is using high Fidelity audio anymore. So it doesn’t matter. Stats below. Feel free to refute.
How can I cry if I never buy?
You’re such a hypocrite. You complain about pricing and then complain About profit.
I don't think you understand sarcasm.
good troll.
See, you're getting it.
No wonder why we always get into arguments, you are out of touch with the industry.
https://www.spin.com/2019/09/music-streaming-80-percent-of-music-industry-overall-revenue/
This is your old data on all music sales and not just while people use phones.
What you said is that phone or iPhone users are streaming 99%. That link says 80% of the industries revenue comes from streaming. I don't think that's the same thing.
Virtually nobody on computers or phones even downloads music anymore. Let alone rips CDs or listens to high Fidelity flacs.
I do use YouTube a lot for music, but why are you then buying a $500+ headphone set for streaming audio quality? A music CD and a cheaper wired headset would produce better audio quality than iTunes with Apple's headphones. You're paying audiophile prices without the audiophile quality. Apple makes you "FEEL" like an audiophile with these prices.
Good for you. Part of the reason why your posts regarding Apple are so annoying is because you only value a very specific set of things. And other people value other things you consider to be stupid and then you have to take a crap on it.
Usually important things. I'll point our crap when I see it and guess what this is? I'm not saying this headphones won't sound good and perform well, but there's probably cheaper better products that'll do the job better, usually with a headphone jack wire. Bluetooth usually doesn't sound good unless you spend a lot of money, and it's still worse than a headphone jack wire.
Cynicism aside, at the end of the day it just sounds to me like you hate Apple because you wish you could have their business model.
Nah, I'm a nerd. I'm more aware of how awful and overpriced their products are. I can't help but question everything. I never take anything at face value.

Last edited:
Well, at the very least it makes people easy to identify when they own these products. Particularly useful in my job (a fool and his money is easily parted...)

How can I cry if I never buy?
you’re doing it now it’s called complaining.

I don't think you understand sarcasm.
this might explain a lot about you. There is zero difference between your “logical arguments” and sarcasm.

See, you're getting it.

What you said is that phone or iPhone users are streaming 99%. That link says 80% of the industries revenue comes from streaming. I don't think that's the same thing.
It is more than close enough. A chunk of the rest of that 20% of revenue is literally from things like commercial licensing and movie licensing. Unless your argument is that consumers are pirating music (specifically lossless audio too not lossy mp3s - the only argument that would prove customers are listening to hi fi audio) there isn’t really any other place that it’s coming from.

I gave you data, feel free to refute with your own data.
I do use YouTube a lot for music, but why are you then buying a $500+ headphone set for streaming audio quality? A music CD and a cheaper wired headset would produce better audio quality than iTunes with Apple's headphones. You're paying audiophile prices without the audiophile quality. Apple makes you "FEEL" like an audiophile with these prices.
Again, and? It has long been shown that people really do not care about accurate audio. A good portion of the population likes vinyl records and tube amps. Neither of which are accurate at all. People just want something that sounds “nice.”

This is a consumer class product for consumers.

Usually important things. I'll point our crap when I see it and guess what this is? I'm not saying this headphones won't sound good and perform well, but there's probably cheaper better products that'll do the job better, usually with a headphone jack wire. Bluetooth usually doesn't sound good unless you spend a lot of money, and it's still worse than a headphone jack wire.
Which again no one uses (in the consumer market). And clearly no one cares about. The problem with a lot of your arguments comes from the fact, which I mentioned before, that you are only seeing your own personal opinions. And not what the market is interested in or desires. That is why there is a big disconnect between what you think something should be worth and also what people are willing to pay for.

you probably are one of the people that complained a lot when the AirPods first came out. “Wow people will probably lose these all the time.” Turns out it’s what the Market wanted. And now every third-party on the planet makes completely wireless iems.

Nah, I'm a nerd. I'm more away of how awful and overpriced their products are. I can't help but question everything. I never take anything at face value.
Again, being overpriced is only relative to what you think something is worth and not what other people think something is worth.

Well, at the very least it makes people easy to identify when they own these products. Particularly useful in my job (a fool and his money is easily parted...)
what, that people value convenience, ease of use, items in apple ecosystem, and some level of fashion?

Back