Apple announced a partnership with Globalstar for better Satalite services

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
https://wccftech.com/apple-steals-starlinks-lunch-announces-450-million-satellite-investment/
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/app...-globalstar-others-for-satellite-texting.html
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022...llite-made-possible-by-450m-apple-investment/

This should let Apple and Globalstar have their services operational before SpaceX and T-Mobile can do the same, as Globalstar already completed its FCC requirements and SpaceX is still waiting on approval.
The Apple solution will also let the phone report back locations to emergency services not just messages.

The big question of the day is application and precisely how useful this will be to 'most people'.
If satellite texting was a tool we could use carte blanche, then I think it becomes immediately useful. Emergency services only is very limited and although it could potentially save lives, doesn't offer much utility for almost all use cases.
I suppose it will be peace of mind for those that would otherwise have to choose life vs cutting off an arm.

All that said, 450 million is a lot for something that will be used very little. Everyone in an urban location will still be using cellular for emergencies. I suppose between this and the new Apple Watch Ultra: sailors, back packers, and those involved in outdoor extreme sports will have tools that are cost effective and that they may own already that could save their lives.

The big question of the day is application and precisely how useful this will be to 'most people'.
If satellite texting was a tool we could use carte blanche, then I think it becomes immediately useful. Emergency services only is very limited and although it could potentially save lives, doesn't offer much utility for almost all use cases.
I suppose it will be peace of mind for those that would otherwise have to choose life vs cutting off an arm.

All that said, 450 million is a lot for something that will be used very little. Everyone in an urban location will still be using cellular for emergencies. I suppose between this and the new Apple Watch Ultra: sailors, back packers, and those involved in outdoor extreme sports will have tools that are cost effective and that they may own already that could save their lives.
But it isn't though, Apple currently makes around $160 million in profit a day.
It also lays the groundwork for them to become the gold standard in a few things, lots of places around the world where there isn't a cell signal, the emergency response unit where I am keeps a half dozen 90's looking brick satellite phones for when they have to do rescue work in the brush or mountains. Each has price tags that make the 14 Pro look like a budget alternative. I know Canada has a lot of dead zones, plenty around me and they have lots of motorcycle accidents in those stretches yearly, they even have road side markers letting you know which way to go for the nearest bit of cell service so you know if you should turn back or not to call 911 should you encounter an accident.

But it isn't though, Apple currently makes around $160 million in profit a day.
It also lays the groundwork for them to become the gold standard in a few things, lots of places around the world where there isn't a cell signal, the emergency response unit where I am keeps a half dozen 90's looking brick satellite phones for when they have to do rescue work in the brush or mountains. Each has price tags that make the 14 Pro look like a budget alternative. I know Canada has a lot of dead zones, plenty around me and they have lots of motorcycle accidents in those stretches yearly, they even have road side markers letting you know which way to go for the nearest bit of cell service so you know if you should turn back or not to call 911 should you encounter an accident.
If they're moving towards that then I suppose it matters a bit more. In the interim it matters very little.
It would be interesting if the next step in "cellular" technology isn't cellular at all but all satellite based. That would finally make it possible to receive and give calls everywhere in the world. In theory also break up all regional monopolies. And make it possible to actually have "real" world-phones that don't cost an excessive amount to have service everywhere.
That seems like a decade minimum in the future. And Apple themselves would probably benefit considerably more if they owned the satellite business or at least a piece of it (that's neither here nor there though).

Not to necro post, but every time I see this headline I keep reading "Apple announced a partnership with WorldStar HipHop".......maybe its just me....

To add some meat to this thread: the satellite SOS feature is active now in the US and Canada. It'll come to France, Germany, Ireland and the UK in December.

As before, it's not something that will make you rush out to buy an iPhone 14 or 14 Pro any time soon. If you're already getting one, though, it's nice to know it's there. From the interviews I've seen, Apple is fully aware this won't replace a dedicated satellite phone or communicator — this is more for someone who only occasionally ventures off-grid, like hikers who get hurt on the trail.

T-Mobile's Starlink teamup is considerably more ambitious, of course, but it's also not coming until late next year at best and is tied to one carrier. It could be a long while before satellite service is regularly filling in coverage gaps for more than "injured leg please send help" messages.

Back