Apple and Qualcomm Settle All Patent Suits

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Apple and Qualcomm have settled all patent litigation as the parties have agreed to a settlement that requires Apple to make a payment to Qualcomm. The companies have reached a six-year licensing agreement with a two-year option to extend and a multiyear chipset supply agreement. Apple is expected to continue to develop its own chipsets so it can't be held hostage by third party suppliers again. Qualcomm shares jumped 23% after the announcement; its biggest gain in 19 years. The deal was brokered while the jury was hearing the opening statements in court. Qualcomm still faces FTC case related to anticompetitive behavior.

Qualcomm said the arrangements are expected to generate $2 per share in additional earnings, though analysts cautioned it was not clear how much of that was coming from the license deal versus the supply agreement. Analysts were also unsure whether Apple’s a onetime payment under the deal represented unpaid royalties from the past two years or a down payment on future royalties. Intel did not immediately respond to Reuters request for comment.

Thanks to Jim Kim for the news!

Good because Intel modems suck. I went back to my iPhone X with a Qualcomm modem from an iPhone XS Max because I had consistent cellular reception and drop call issues. My AT&T iPhone 7 Plus also had an Intel modem that blew chunks.

Hopefully the 2020 iPhones will go back to using the QC modems as I won’t touch another iPhone with an Intel modem. Will probably have to skip out on the 2019 iPhones as I’m guessing it’s too late to put the QC modems in them.

Intel Corporation today announced its intention to exit the 5G smartphone modem business and complete an assessment of the opportunities for 4G and 5G modems in PCs, internet of things devices and other data-centric devices. Intel will also continue to invest in its 5G network infrastructure business.

“We are very excited about the opportunity in 5G and the ‘cloudification’ of the network, but in the smartphone modem business it has become apparent that there is no clear path to profitability and positive returns,” said Intel CEO Bob Swan. “5G continues to be a strategic priority across Intel, and our team has developed a valuable portfolio of wireless products and intellectual property. We are assessing our options to realize the value we have created, including the opportunities in a wide variety of data-centric platforms and devices in a 5G world.”

That completes the puzzle.
It does, and also supports exlink assessment that Intel smartphone modems are crap.
I don't understand the Qualcomm's allergies.. are they overpriced? Don't tell me its the fees, everyone sues everyone for fees, or rounded corners. Development of your own, sure, everyone should... Not many can. Still a lot of Qualcomm hate as if not a legit company or some such.

Back