Apple Allegedly Throttles Older iPhones with Degraded Batteries

Cars make an extremely conservative use of batteries to prolong their life. The pwm unit dictates a maximum current usage which is figured out ahead of time by engineers. If the battery cannot deliver that plus 20% more, then the battery is marked as empty. That 20% buffer is to prevent premature wear on the battery.

Nope nope, according to everyone else on this thread basic physics and engineering doesn't apply. Shit works the same all the time.

Makes sense when your customers can't easily replace their batteries. So instead of having people go out and buy new batteries, Apple just quietly slows down the phone. This has two benefits. One is that you don't have an angry army of people calling you out on a feature, and the other is planned obsolescence so that when people by new iPhones it does really feel fast and snappy. Cause lets be honest todays smart phones have far more power than you'll ever use, and Apple knows this.

There's an easy solution to this problem for you Apple users and that's to ask Apple to put removable batteries in their devices. Might as well ask for a SD card slot too while you're at it.

Nope nope, according to everyone else on this thread basic physics and engineering doesn't apply. Shit works the same all the time.

just explain how an aging battery can cause a CPU to perform worse. Shit stops working when voltages go out of spec. Voltages are going to be in spec. The battery would operate the device perfectly fine at normal performance levels, just with less operational time. If you have an explanation contrary to this, please share it. A cpu a any given clock rate will complete a task in the same amount of time regardless of if a battery is new or old.

just explain how an aging battery can cause a CPU to perform worse. Shit stops working when voltages go out of spec. Voltages are going to be in spec. The battery would operate the device perfectly fine at normal performance levels, just with less operational time. If you have an explanation contrary to this, please share it. A cpu a any given clock rate will complete a task in the same amount of time regardless of if a battery is new or old.

Power and energy capability go down as batteries age.

So Apple screws you over as the battery is degrading over several months, and then if you want to get the battery replaced, they charge an arm and a leg.

This reminds me of those new Windows on ARM devices, sure the battery lasts 22 hours, but you have to run Win10S and only store apps.

https://hardforum.com/threads/apple...h-degraded-batteries.1950272/#post-1043374600

As you get closer to the current supply limit of the battery you start to get voltage sags.

https://hardforum.com/threads/apple...h-degraded-batteries.1950272/#post-1043374600

As you get closer to the current supply limit of the battery you start to get voltage sags.

I understand that. But regardless of voltage sag, that alone does not result in lower benchmarks. If the voltage goes out of spec, you get issues like it turning off randomly like you noted. You don't get a slow device. It's really no different than a desktop computer. If you have a shitty or failing power supply that is delivering 11v on the 12v rail, you may experience instability, but you aren't going to see benchmarks cut in half if the system seems fine otherwise.

I understand that. But regardless of voltage sag, that alone does not result in lower benchmarks. If the voltage goes out of spec, you get issues like it turning off randomly like you noted. You don't get a slow device. It's really no different than a desktop computer. If you have a shitty or failing power supply that is delivering 11v on the 12v rail, you may experience instability, but you aren't going to see benchmarks cut in half if the system seems fine otherwise.

The higher you crank it, the more likely it is to shut off. Would you rather your phone run all day without random shutoffs, or would you rather it ran at full speed and randomly shut off?

It's an either or. As apple likes to make reliability one of their selling points, I would imagine they intentionally slowed down the processor as to control the current drain so it didn't randomly shut off, which would frustrate many people when they think they have 20 or even 40% life left.

So Apple screws you over as the battery is degrading over several months, and then if you want to get the battery replaced, they charge an arm and a leg.

This reminds me of those new Windows on ARM devices, sure the battery lasts 22 hours, but you have to run Win10S and only store apps.

You can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free for I think 6 months after purchase of the machine. Run all the x86 apps you want. Who in the blue hell would want 10S is beyond me. Even school admins don't want to deal with store apps and the policies that go along with it. The policy is disable and do not allow.

The higher you crank it, the more likely it is to shut off. Would you rather your phone run all day without random shutoffs, or would you rather it ran at full speed and randomly shut off?

It's an either or. As apple likes to make reliability one of their selling points, I would imagine they intentionally slowed down the processor as to control the current drain so it didn't randomly shut off, which would frustrate many people when they think they have 20 or even 40% life left.

At least then I'd know I had a bad battery. The end user has no idea the battery is cause of their slow phone. Perhaps it happens gradually and they just thing it's 'old' so they get a new one. In my mind, it has nothing to do with maintaining a reputation for reliable products but rather apples planned obsolescence.

On a serious note, every time I see an iPhone it's plugged into a charger. I guess people don't have chargers at home.

Lol, from the marketing side of things it's great. Slow down the phone, let the battery last longer, make the people want a new faster phone (isn't that the marketing term they always use? Iphone X++, the fastest one we've made yet) while you have a 3-4 year old slow as a turtle phone.
Most people won't logically equate replacing the battery to speed.

I've been driving a Camry Hybrid for over 4 years and there is no noticeable slow down when the battery is low.
Could be the Camry is less reliant on the battery than the Prius, I definitely notice why my hybrid is low, often when climbing hills (going to Tahoe, etc), you can hear the engine work way harder because now it's providing power to move the car as well as trying to charge the battery.

It shouldn't result in better CPU benchmarks.

If lithium battery is wearing out, the internal resistance increases which limits current draw and causes more heat which means more throttling... Jesus there are so many Apple bashing retards on this forum. Apple are actually one of the best at managing battery life and maintaining longevity. Meanwhile my old Galaxy Note chewed up its battery in 13 months thanks to fast charging killing the cells.

If lithium battery is wearing out, the internal resistance increases which limits current draw and causes more heat which means more throttling... Jesus there are so many Apple bashing retards on this forum. Apple are actually one of the best at managing battery life and maintaining longevity. Meanwhile my old Galaxy Note chewed up its battery in 13 months thanks to fast charging killing the cells.

So you are theorizing that the performance difference is a result of thermal throttling of the cpu based on its proximity to the lithium battery heating up with age? Rather than a software/firmware function that determines battery wear and throttles clock speed based on wear level?

I may be bashing apple for this but I would bash android at the same time if this were true of them. I'm not picking favorites, I've had an iPhone, MacBooks, and Ipods throughout the years. But it seems there business model is to push users into a new product when they don't need one, or in this case, make it so they DO need one.

This would be nice as a toggle option. Given the opportunity to have good battery life or performance would be nice.

I do see what they are trying to do which is keep battery life up, but doing so in a way that is not communicated to us is not cool.

This would be nice as a toggle option. Given the opportunity to have good battery life or performance would be nice.

I do see what they are trying to do which is keep battery life up, but doing so in a way that is not communicated to us is not cool.

that is more my point. If they do have something monitoring wear levels and adjusting cpu clock speed accordingly, there should be a notification to the user that the battery is not performing fully and they need a replacement.

On a serious note, every time I see an iPhone it's plugged into a charger. I guess people don't have chargers at home.
Not mine! Of course, I use it primarily as a phone, and don't watch videos all day long. I usually only charge every other day or every three days, usually when the charge gets down to about 40%. It does drain much faster when I listen to music, which I do occasionally. Guess I'm not the typical iPhone user.

that is more my point. If they do have something monitoring wear levels and adjusting cpu clock speed accordingly, there should be a notification to the user that the battery is not performing fully and they need a replacement.

Kind of scratching my head over that one as well. I mean,....it is not like Apple to miss an opportunity to gouge people for more money. Not like them at all.

The notification might be like, "Your battery is underperforming and needs to be replaced. Please bring it, and your wallet, to the nearest Apple store for a replacement." :)

At least then I'd know I had a bad battery. The end user has no idea the battery is cause of their slow phone. Perhaps it happens gradually and they just thing it's 'old' so they get a new one. In my mind, it has nothing to do with maintaining a reputation for reliable products but rather apples planned obsolescence.

Could it be Apple is trying to limit warranty claims on bad batteries that die before 2 years are up?

Wait a minute. Every iPhone user I have ever encountered rants and raves about how their phone never slows down like Android phones do. I am confused.

Every iPhone i've had has slowed down after 2 years.

The Camry has 200 HP, nothing slow and steady about it. (unlike the Prius)

I drove a lexus hs250h for a while. Pretty sure it had the camry hybrid engine. It wasn't nearly as bad as a prius but it never had a sense of urgency. Hitting the power button helped throttle response a lot though.

Edit: I think the button said power. It wasn't the on off button though lol. It was the mode opposite eco.

Could it be Apple is trying to limit warranty claims on bad batteries that die before 2 years are up?
The battery warranty is 1 year. I don't understand why people are shitting their pants over this, it's ridiculous to argue for the alternative. There isn't a serious person who would opt to toggle that their phone die in a half hour rather than just slowing down. Such a ridiculous idea that Apple implement a switch...a switch that would never be toggled except by some trolls.

The battery warranty is 1 year. I don't understand why people are shitting their pants over this, it's ridiculous to argue for the alternative. There isn't a serious person who would opt to toggle that their phone die in a half hour rather than just slowing down. Such a ridiculous idea that Apple implement a switch...a switch that would never be toggled except by some trolls.

You're being ridiculous. We aren't talking about batteries lasting a half hour, we're talking half a day. I would much rather use my phone with gradually less battery life yet full performance. Same with my computer. If for some reason my computer ran half as fast, I'd be bullshit. If my phone battery wears down to where it lasts less than half a day, guess what, I replace the battery. But I wouldn't have to deal with it being a slow pos for no particular reason of my own doing.

You're being ridiculous. We aren't talking about batteries lasting a half hour, we're talking half a day. I would much rather use my phone with gradually less battery life yet full performance. Same with my computer. If for some reason my computer ran half as fast, I'd be bullshit. If my phone battery wears down to where it lasts less than half a day, guess what, I replace the battery. But I wouldn't have to deal with it being a slow pos for no particular reason of my own doing.
I'm not being ridiculous...I actually read the fucking article. Try it some time...

This isn't about "old" phones/batteries. The 6s is an "old phone," hence the headline but the issue is not about Apple throttling old phones. This is about a specific issue in regards to the 6s. The 6s had a limited recall because batteries were found to have manufacturing defects. Then an iOS update was pushed out to address random shutting down of the rest of the 6s. The speculation is that Apple is throttling these 6s' so they wouldn't have to recall the rest of them.

The evidence is a guy who took his 6s and replaced the battery, which is what the recall did. Logic would dictate that if his battery had issues replacing it would result in a performance increase, not that the OS was throttling the CPU :/

Regardless, I'm calling bullshit on this argument you've concocted about a toggle. Don't even want to get into it, you're simply trolling. In regards to EVs, I have an eGolf and the car goes into limp mode when the battery depletes let alone what it will do when the battery actually degrades. Like a phone, a car must fail safe, which isn't the case for your home PC since it doesn't matter one way or the other that it stay on in the event of a voltage sag. Using a hybrid for comparison is ridiculous because that will rely on the motor when the batteries aren't functioning correctly and if people were discussing this topic in good faith rather than trolling that fact regarding hybrids would have precluded their use as an example.

I'm not being ridiculous...I actually read the fucking article. Try it some time...

This isn't about "old" phones/batteries. The 6s is an "old phone," hence the headline but the issue is not about Apple throttling old phones. This is about a specific issue in regards to the 6s. The 6s had a limited recall because batteries were found to have manufacturing defects. Then an iOS update was pushed out to address random shutting down of the rest of the 6s. The speculation is that Apple is throttling these 6s' so they wouldn't have to recall the rest of them.

The evidence is a guy who took his 6s and replaced the battery, which is what the recall did. Logic would dictate that if his battery had issues replacing it would result in a performance increase, not that the OS was throttling the CPU :/

Regardless, I'm calling bullshit on this argument you've concocted about a toggle. Don't even want to get into it, you're simply trolling. In regards to EVs, I have an eGolf and the car goes into limp mode when the battery depletes let alone what it will do when the battery actually degrades. Like a phone, a car must fail safe, which isn't the case for your home PC since it doesn't matter one way or the other that it stay on in the event of a voltage sag. Using a hybrid for comparison is ridiculous because that will rely on the motor when the batteries aren't functioning correctly and if people were discussing this topic in good faith rather than trolling that fact regarding hybrids would have precluded their use as an example.

How do you know your car goes into limp mode?

hmmm... some of you guys love to stab at apple at every chance.

If it was Android, perhaps some of you guys would defend it and put the idea on a pedestal.

If it was Android, perhaps some of you guys would defend it and put the idea on a pedestal.
You don't even have to wonder. Just go over to XDA and peruse the custom ROM discussions and, except for bench testing, every single conversation will address how to undervolt the cpu to eek out some extra time from the battery.

ha ha...
apple user: i love my apple products because they "just work"
me: yeah that's about right. after about a year they still "just work", "just slower!!!" LOL!!![H]!!!

but it's not, its apple. so....

p.s. F**K A**LE

p.s.s. [H]

I drove a lexus hs250h for a while. Pretty sure it had the camry hybrid engine. It wasn't nearly as bad as a prius but it never had a sense of urgency. Hitting the power button helped throttle response a lot though.

Edit: I think the button said power. It wasn't the on off button though lol. It was the mode opposite eco.

They have an eco mode that slows the throttle response to save gas.
I do like the low end boost the electric engine give the car. Noticeably faster off the line than the 4 cyl.
I also like the 40 MPG around town. Much better than my previous 4 cyl that only got 18 MPG around town.
The 17 gallon tank gives me over a 650 miles per tank, around town. :D

Back