Apple Accuses DOJ Of “Smear” Campaign

HardOCP News

[H] News
Watching these two go back and forth with the name calling and accusations reminds me of a grade school argument during recess. I'm just trying to figure out how Apple thinks this is a "smear" campaign.

“As Apple well knows, the Order does not compel it to unlock other iPhones or to give the government a universal ‘master key’ or ‘back door,'” reads the filing, which notes that the phone itself belongs to San Bernardino County, where shooter Syed Rizwan Farook was employed. Because, as part of his employment, he’d previously consented to making his phone available to be searched, the government contends that there is no Fourth Amendment issue.

Well, as I see it, the FBI searched the phone ... and in the search, found it encrypted. Search over. LOL. Besides, didn't the FBI "accidently" reset the password? FBI just needs to enter "that password" and VIOLA, phone unlocked. LOL. This drama is getting old, fast.

Well, as I see it, the FBI searched the phone ... and in the search, found it encrypted. Search over. LOL. Besides, didn't the FBI "accidently" reset the password? FBI just needs to enter "that password" and VIOLA, phone unlocked. LOL. This drama is getting old, fast.

Thats about the end of it. They mad because no backdoor. I support Apple on this.

Terrorist murder Americans. FBI seeks Apple's help in collecting information that could prevent future attacks. Apple refuses to help placing themselves on the side of people who don't care if people die...

Terrorist murder Americans. FBI seeks Apple's help in collecting information that could prevent future attacks. Apple refuses to help placing themselves on the side of people who don't care if people die...

Hello Mr. DoJ. Sorry we're far beyond being influenced by this silly little propaganda.

DOJ is taking Apple to court because the FBI already lost the case against them

This is like Nintendo of America taking somebody to court, losing, and then getting Nintendo of Japan to sue somebody

DOJ keeps saying its "Not to get a backdoor into phones" when repeatedly in it and the FBI's trial they wanted a hacked firmware so they could use it willy nilly

The problem is once you have a hacked firmware, you can just stick it onto any other iphone of the same model and voila, full access

Apple even offered to give the FBI all the data on the phone, but no, FBI wanted a hacked firmware

This is the same shit that went down with Snowden and Lavabit email system, where the FBI etc wanted the SSL keys to the servers so they could download the entire server, Lavabit said no, they would only give Snowden & the reporters emails, FBI/DOJ etc acted like utter spoiled children and kept demanding so Lavabit just shut down

And Lavabit is in the same boat as apple, if they just give the FBI/DOJ full access to all their systems, what's the point of having encrypted phones etc?

Also what about other countries? A firmware with a backdoor will work on an american phone just as much as one sold in any other country, thus giving the USA exclusive access to Apple's security no other country has

DOJ/FBI is overstepping their bounds and they know it, why the rest of us are screwed and have to encrypt all our files with 7zip etc to secure our essential stuff like passwords/health records etc

In fact, Apple should argue that, if they give the FBI the security keys, they have to give them to every other government on the planet

I bet you if that happened with 24 hours all government agents would stop using Iphones

DOJ is taking Apple to court because the FBI already lost the case against them

This is like Nintendo of America taking somebody to court, losing, and then getting Nintendo of Japan to sue somebody

DOJ keeps saying its "Not to get a backdoor into phones" when repeatedly in it and the FBI's trial they wanted a hacked firmware so they could use it willy nilly

The problem is once you have a hacked firmware, you can just stick it onto any other iphone of the same model and voila, full access

Apple even offered to give the FBI all the data on the phone, but no, FBI wanted a hacked firmware

This is the same shit that went down with Snowden and Lavabit email system, where the FBI etc wanted the SSL keys to the servers so they could download the entire server, Lavabit said no, they would only give Snowden & the reporters emails, FBI/DOJ etc acted like utter spoiled children and kept demanding so Lavabit just shut down

And Lavabit is in the same boat as apple, if they just give the FBI/DOJ full access to all their systems, what's the point of having encrypted phones etc?

Also what about other countries? A firmware with a backdoor will work on an american phone just as much as one sold in any other country, thus giving the USA exclusive access to Apple's security no other country has

DOJ/FBI is overstepping their bounds and they know it, why the rest of us are screwed and have to encrypt all our files with 7zip etc to secure our essential stuff like passwords/health records etc

Wow, You got this all fucked up don't you?

The FBI is part of the DoJ and so it's only ever been the DoJ doing anything, anything the FBI does they do as part of the DoJ.

The Court Order is damn clear, Apple doesn't have to give the hacked firmware to the FBI, they can do the whole thing in Apple's labs with Apple's computers. I am not quoting that court order for the tenth time. Nothing requires Apple to give the FBI the hacked code or the phone with the code in place.

Only Apple possess the encrypted keys allowing a software push and update.

And I have not seen where Apple said they would extract the data and give it to the FBI, linky please.

I will always stand with Apple on this. Because the company that owns the phone did not take proper steps to control the device does not mean that Apple has to allow the DOJ in. The only real problem is that the DOJ doesn't want to disassemble the iphone, remove the memory modules and directly access the storage. (or even directly access that piece of the PCB that the storage resides on.) Unless there is something built in by apple to wipe the memory in the even that the case is breached I really doubt that they would be so limited in that scenario.

Then they are free to turn a server farm on to crack the encryption on the data. Reassemble it into a readable format and go to town. I fail to see how this makes the device uncrackable. It just makes it somewhat troublesome to crack without hardware intervention.

I am under the opinion that some DOJ employee screwed up and now they can't get the data and are trying to pin it on Apple rather than look like a moron. And through all of the effort I would be it is someone rather high up.

That's just my humorous observation in this case. I could be wrong.

Gotta respect Apple for sticking it to the feds . They clearly won't be making any profit but a lot of bad press. It's almost like Apple and MS are swapping the good cop /bad cop routine.

That's almost as believable as the FBI spying on citizens and collecting private information for political gain...

Oh wait, that actually HAS happened.

The FBI doesn't care, they use atrocities to set legal precedent. The victims should feel insulted they are only tools for the FBI to exploit to manipulate such a gullible public.

The FBI is sitting around waiting for the next atrocity to do the same all over again.

Back