Apple a No-Show at CES

Stupidest thing I have ever read.

Kinda smart actually, if the hardware or the professionals had actually gotten the iPad first, they'd look for productivity and functionality, but since it was given to the lifestyle reviewers it got points just for being shiny. "There's no market for it so lets make one"

BTW, just to summarize the philosophies.

To a PC user, computers are tools, it's value is determined by how much you can get done and your ROD.

To a Mac user, it's a lifestyle accessory and status symbol.

@Zumino Zufeilon: mate, you are kinda missing the point. Yes, I agree with you that portability wise (weight and battery life) there is nothing in the market that can compete with what Apple has to offer in the MB range (be it MB or MBA) for the price they do, but as of now they don't sell a lot because "its a good system" but because "its cool", because lets be honest: their lack of compatibility with so many existing stuff as of now makes it a no-no for plenty of people, me included (and I have both an Ipad and an Ipod at home, and I have having to use Itunes for everything; and I also don't like the "for-dummies-OS" they have (because if something doesn't work at first, you will have hell to make it work).

BUT, you can't talk about upgradeability as it "not being important for most of the people" when we are not most of that people. Most of us will never ever buy a computer that can't be tweaked to our liking, wether we like the OS or not. Period. If we complain about many little things such has having to hack NVIDIA drivers to be able to use physx with an ATI, do you think any will accept to pay an arm and a leg for a desktop computer that one can't tweak, nor overclock, nor nothing?!?!? If they were to sell the OSX on its own (and its funny there was such a big discussion with M$s monopolistic empire only because they bundled their OS with their internet explorer...but then you HAVE to use apple hardware with its software) we could argue wether its superior or not than Windows...but, as a fact, as you can't compare both OS in the same system (legally) then I couldn't care less about wether its better or not because the whole "use me but don't touch me" thingy is not for plenty of us, in a forum like this.

All in all, its about politics. As computer users (well, the hardcore ones) are totally against closed environments (and pro compatibility and tweaking) and that goes to the waste when you buy an Apple product, (because its just "use me") there is nothing to like, because there is nothing you can do on an Apple product that can't be done on a computer...but otherwise, good luck with gaming.
Also, as there are so many retarded fanboys buying and defending their products because "they are Apple and as such they are better" that ones gets sick. Hey, I have friends who are audio producers and started learning with programs designed for Apple and, as such, they have Apple products...and I'm perfectly ok with that. If you like the OS and the programs it has to offer, but are well aware of the trade-offs its perfectly ok to use an Apple product, but defend it against a storm when somebody talks about what kind of PITA the Itunes can sometimes be....well...

@Soulblaze: mate, you should shut the fuck up, mature a little and stop being such an arrogant asshole. If you consider that this is a "hardcore" forum where many people not only spend a fortune on pc hardware yearly BUT also have distributed-computing farms running 24/7 for a good cause (and I can tell you that the power bill is not cheap) you should realise how retarded is your comment about "being poor" when 99.9999% of the users who do not own an Apple product is not because they can't but because they DONT WANT TO.

So, I say again, shut up. Zumino Zufeilon made plenty of valid points, all of it with a really polite attitude. You should to the same or leave.

Kinda smart actually, if the hardware or the professionals had actually gotten the iPad first, they'd look for productivity and functionality, but since it was given to the lifestyle reviewers it got points just for being shiny. "There's no market for it so lets make one"

Facts to the facts: we have an Ipad at home because we won it as a price. The truth is: I would have never bought it on my own because I write a ton in plenty of forums and for writing is probably worse than any mobile phone (and I you have to carry a keyboard then you are defeating the purpouse of the Ipad in the first place :rolleyes: ) BUT, if you spend your time on the internet looking at content (videos, blogs) and do little writing then its MARVELOUS. Seriously, its super light, goes fast for what it does and the screen is superb. But, like I said, I would have to use it alot to accept the price-tag it has, but I know some people who own one because they are 24/7 checking content on the internet (be it stock charts, e-mail) and they needed something better than a mobile phone, but small enough to be carried easily.

To a PC user, computers are tools, it's value is determined by how much you can get done and your ROD. To a Mac user, it's a lifestyle accessory and status symbol.
My Mac is a "production" machine: I use it pretty much exclusively for getting work done and for common activities like web browsing and listening to music. In other words, the Mac is the "central hub" of my computing. My PC is a gaming machine: I use it almost exclusively for not getting anything productive done. For me, the Windows PC is little more than a glorified game console; something I boot when my goal is to waste time and shut down when I'm done wasting time.

What exactly does that say of your theory?

My Mac is a "production" machine: I use it pretty much exclusively for getting work done and for common activities like web browsing and listening to music. In other words, the Mac is the "central hub" of my computing. My PC is a gaming machine: I use it almost exclusively for not getting anything productive done. For me, the Windows PC is little more than a glorified game console; something I boot when my goal is to waste time and shut down when I'm done wasting time.

That's exactly how I do it as well. I build my gaming PCs for just that purpose, and use them accordingly. I personally prefer the OS X workflow and (almost universally customizable) keyboard shortcuts to that of Windows--though that's certainly not how it is for everyone who has both.

One thing I have always preferred for production and work on Windows is Adobe's implementation of Photoshop. The native full screen support on Windows always made me more comfortable working in PS, all the way from about PS 3.0 or thereabouts.

I never understood why people are so eager to stereotype OS use cases.

@Zumino Zufeilon: mate, you are kinda missing the point. Yes, I agree with you that portability wise (weight and battery life) there is nothing in the market that can compete with what Apple has to offer in the MB range (be it MB or MBA) for the price they do, but as of now they don't sell a lot because "its a good system" but because "its cool", because lets be honest: their lack of compatibility with so many existing stuff as of now makes it a no-no for plenty of people, me included (and I have both an Ipad and an Ipod at home, and I have having to use Itunes for everything; and I also don't like the "for-dummies-OS" they have (because if something doesn't work at first, you will have hell to make it work).

BUT, you can't talk about upgradeability as it "not being important for most of the people" when we are not most of that people. Most of us will never ever buy a computer that can't be tweaked to our liking, wether we like the OS or not. Period. If we complain about many little things such has having to hack NVIDIA drivers to be able to use physx with an ATI, do you think any will accept to pay an arm and a leg for a desktop computer that one can't tweak, nor overclock, nor nothing?!?!? If they were to sell the OSX on its own (and its funny there was such a big discussion with M$s monopolistic empire only because they bundled their OS with their internet explorer...but then you HAVE to use apple hardware with its software) we could argue wether its superior or not than Windows...but, as a fact, as you can't compare both OS in the same system (legally) then I couldn't care less about wether its better or not because the whole "use me but don't touch me" thingy is not for plenty of us, in a forum like this.

All in all, its about politics. As computer users (well, the hardcore ones) are totally against closed environments (and pro compatibility and tweaking) and that goes to the waste when you buy an Apple product, (because its just "use me") there is nothing to like, because there is nothing you can do on an Apple product that can't be done on a computer...but otherwise, good luck with gaming.

Also, as there are so many retarded fanboys buying and defending their products because "they are Apple and as such they are better" that ones gets sick. Hey, I have friends who are audio producers and started learning with programs designed for Apple and, as such, they have Apple products...and I'm perfectly ok with that. If you like the OS and the programs it has to offer, but are well aware of the trade-offs its perfectly ok to use an Apple product, but defend it against a storm when somebody talks about what kind of PITA the Itunes can sometimes be....well...

Hating something because it has fanboys is, IMHO, as retarded as hating it because it's a Ford, or a Chevy, or a PC or a Mac. Judge each thing by their merits alone, and pity those fools who are too wrapped up in their fanboyism to actually examine the world around them. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if a great many of the "diehard defending fanboys" are coming at it from the side of "always being attacked". If one is almost always being insulted and belittled, one tends to reach a point of fighting back. Unless one is Ghandi, but there aren't many Ghandi's around.

I will agree with you that a number of people might buy a Mac because they are "cool", but I would argue that a much larger number (at least in the circles I travel in) buy them because they offer the best compromise of power and portability, and wrap it up in a box that is both elegant and durable. It's no toughbook, but it'll take a beating better then most laptops. And does so with a battery that actually lasts all or most of the flight to New Zealand or Europe from the US.

I would also greatly argue the 'lack of compatibility". When I first, reluctantly, started using a Mac, I got one of the first gen Intel iMac's, and the first thing I did was bootcamp it. Gradually, I stopped using bootcamp at all, until now there is only one program that I use with any regularity that doesn't have an OSX equal. (and it runs just fine under Parallels). I haven't had any issues compatibility wise in a long time with my Mac, and in fact I have more issues with compatibility with Office7's stupid file formats, and usually use my Mac to fix them when they are truly wacky.

Considering it is a work machine, I don't game often on it. But it runs EvE Online just fine, and that's all I need it for. Mac's aren't gaming systems, they aren't meant to be. But the hardware is actually fairly decent for gaming. But I don't buy it to game. I buy it to work. It's also why I'm such a fan of the "for-dummies-OS" as you put it. It's a work machine, I don't want to have to fight with it to get it working. I just want it to work. But, by-the-by, Terminal = plenty of customization if you want to get into it. Almost as much as is available for Linux, you just have to spend a bit of time tweaking it, just like you would a W7/W8/Linux box.

It says there are always exceptions...and there always are. It says you own a Mac because you prefer OSX over Windows for what you do. You cant use a Mac and not realize that plenty of people buy Macs as a status symbol.

Overpriced for what you're using it for.

Just to elaborate, you picked a far more expensive machine to do something that can be done just as well on a cheaper one. That's a lifestyle (or status) choice rather than one that i would consider practical.

Overpriced for what you're using it for.
You're right. I paid much, much more for my PC than I did my Mac, and it's used sparingly. That would make it my "status symbol", wouldn't it? Lots of money; relatively little utility. Right in line with your theory. Except, well, completely reversed.

Imagine that.

Just to elaborate, you picked a far more expensive machine to do something that can be done just as well on a cheaper one. That's a lifestyle (or status) choice rather than one that i would consider practical.

:confused:

Is this [A]scetic|Forum now? We're suddenly ruled by economy and abstinence? I guess I should swap my Scythes for stock fans, un-mod my PSU (I wonder if I can get that warranty sticker back on there!), replace my Zalman with the stock Intel HSF and maybe ditch my PC's AVR + 5.1 setup since a cheap pair of beige speakers will do the job.

Fuck me, I must be in the wrong place.

:confused:

Is this [A]scetic|Forum now? We're suddenly ruled by economy and abstinence? I guess I should swap my Scythes for stock fans, un-mod my PSU (I wonder if I can get that warranty sticker back on there!), replace my Zalman with the stock Intel HSF and maybe ditch my PC's AVR + 5.1 setup since a cheap pair of beige speakers will do the job.

Fuck me, I must be in the wrong place.
That's not what he's saying. HardOCP has always been about the best bang for bucks. So he's advocating that a cheaper machine that has the same performance is better than going for the aesthetic look. For example, you modded your machine to get more performance out of it.

Bunch of hogwash! Apple is at NAMM every year showing off their music software. They usually have the biggest booth on the floor too.

How the do they show off logic and garageband!?! :eek:

Hey, we don't have a proper working arpegiator, undo on software synths or fully functioned tools, but its only a bit more expensive and its a different grey!?

That's not what he's saying. HardOCP has always been about the best bang for bucks. So he's advocating that a cheaper machine that has the same performance is better than going for the aesthetic look. For example, you modded your machine to get more performance out of it.

Uh, it's always been about performance.

Unless you've spent the majority of your time hanging out in the ATI/AMD area, it's always been about push the envelope, not keeping the wallet fat.

Don't believe me? Just visit the eyefinity threads. Yeah, that's all about bang for buck.

Uh, it's always been about performance.

Unless you've spent the majority of your time hanging out in the ATI/AMD area, it's always been about push the envelope, not keeping the wallet fat.

Don't believe me? Just visit the eyefinity threads. Yeah, that's all about bang for buck.
No, it's a mixture of both. Every review conducted by Kyle, Steve, etc has value/cost taken into consideration where they are all about best bang for bucks. Don't believe me? It isn't just on the ATI/AMD category as you claim but on Intel and other products too.

No, it's a mixture of both. Every review conducted by Kyle, Steve, etc has value/cost taken into consideration where they are all about best bang for bucks. Don't believe me? It isn't just on the ATI/AMD category as you claim but on Intel and other products too.
Don't believe you? Seriously...you want to throw down on people who have five+ years on you about what this forum is or is not?

Don't believe you? Seriously...you want to throw down on people who have five+ years on you about what this forum is or is not?

Are you seriously trying to start an arguement over what this forum is about? Get a life.

How did I start this or any argument in this thread?
Do you even know how to fucking comprehend the english language? Get a dictionary.

You're using registration date as proof that they're more experienced than I am? Wow, that's kind of dumb. FYI I have an old account on this forum, I just choose not to use it, TYVM.

You should try explaining why you believe it's dumb to assess one's authority and/or experience about a particular space relative to one's involvement in it.

You could even post your response from your phantom account...you know, providing evidence for your bullshit claims and all that nonsense...

"You should try explaining why you believe it's dumb to assess one's authority and/or experience about a particular space relative to one's involvement in it."

tCp90.gif

Kinnect, $56 worth of hardware selling for $150. Let the Apple bashing continue. ;)

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The Consumer Entertainment Show is in town tonight. Go and see it. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am an Apple Fanboy." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.

- Pun on joke from the animated novel/movie "The Watchmen"

Back