Apple 32" 6k monitor

Discussion in 'Displays' started by bigbluefe, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

No way to connect the XRD display to a RTX Titan.

2. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

LOL.

3. thelead

thelead 2[H]4U

You can (presumably) if you have a motherboard (or thunderbolt card) that has DisplayPort in to TB3 out like this one:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145110

I was going to buy the apple display to test it until I saw the price. I can’t justify buying a $6K computer display.

4. Sitti_S

Sitti_S n00b

And a stand or/and vesa mount

5. thelead

thelead 2[H]4U

$6K includes the stand

6. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

No, it's called appeal to relevant experience and knowledge. Of which you have none.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Interesting niche motherboard solution. If you buy the Apple display for PC use, now you are locked into relying on niche motherboards or add-in cards for as long as you own the display. Interesting they did that on a Z390 board and not an X299.

8. thelead

thelead 2[H]4U

Agreed but it is a great motherboard from my experience. I can’t believe other high-end motherboards haven’t included this.

9. Sitti_S

Sitti_S n00b

Oh ok, I thought you were talking nano-texture glass version. This apple pricing is really a mess. I wonder what their profit margin on these monitors is.

10. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

It's almost certainly high, but probably in line with Apple's usual margins and not unexpected for pro gear. When you know you'll never sell it in large quantities, you have to make up for that in premiums.

On this note: I wish Apple would repeat what it did with the Power Mac G5 way back when and release a Mac Pro that's aimed more at enthusiast consumers than pros. Say, a Core i9, 16GB of base RAM and a Radeon VII. I don't think it'd happen simply because it would require a whole new mainboard and redesigning some of the enclosure (since it wouldn't have eight PCIe slots or 12 DIMM slots), but one can dream.

11. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

The base Xeon W-3223 processor isn't really that expensive though, listing at $749. It shouldn't be the reason for the high price, even figuring in a high-end motherboard at $1000, they could have made a base version that was much cheaper. The issue with that is, how many people are going to add all of the other options the current base version has and still buy that version with the base processor for $5999.