Apple 30" Cinema Display Help!

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
I got a nice deal on a ACD 30" that was used, with the Apple Care until 2010. However, I have hooked the display up yesterday, and it looks great, I am not sure the resolution is set properly. I am using a Mac Book Pro, 2.2ghz, 120gb, 4gb ram,GeForce 8600M GT.

The display seems to be not at the full 2560x1600. Things look very big like running 1024x768 on a 20 inch. I have went to monitors, and set the display to 2560x1600 but I swear it's not right. I installed the Display CD, and ran software update. Thanks in advance! I got this from the System Profiler:

Cinema HD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: On
Mirror Status: Master Mirror
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

Edit: I took two screen shots, one with the monitor being mirrored, the other with mirror turned off. How can I run the ACD as my main display and have the toolbar at the bottom etc. and it not be in mirrored mode?

First picture is resolution while being mirrored: 1436x879"ish"
http://buyracingjackets.com/h/mirror.png

Second is mirror turned off. Both pics are screen shots of the 30"ACD 2539x1600
http://buyracingjackets.com/h/non.png

If you are mirroring, you're going to be stuck at the lowest resolution, which would be 1440x900 on a 15" MacBook Pro.

I don't know of a way to run mirroring with independent resolutions.

I don't really care about the mirroring, I just want to use the 30" at full res while I work at my desk. I need it to show the desktop and tool bar etc. I don't use the laptop display while I work at my desk. There has to be a way??

plug in the 30" and close the laptop, wiggle your mouse and you will have the 30" running full rez

Just tried that and it puts the system to sleep... Can seem to only wake it back up by opening laptop lid.

Yes I do. After shutting the lid, they keyboard is active, but the external mouse doesn't work. How long should I wait after shutting the lid to try to wiggle the mouse? I also set the power button on the display to put to sleep and wake. With the lid closed it will not wake up.

got it work but shutting the display and wiggle mouse. The problem was the mouse was hooked up to the monitor, not directly to the computer

i can tell you from my experience.

I use a BT mighty mouse and the Old BT Apple Keyboard (i love my numberpad) I attach my 24" and make sure all my other devices are active. Close the case and wait for the mbp to go to sleep. Wiggle my mouse or press a key on my keyboard and it becomes active again. This works for me in OSX and BootCamp XP.

Also one more thing is your MBP plugged in?
Check your BLuetooth settings in if you use bluetooth Keyboard and mouse. Make sure in the advanced options you check "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer"

If you don't want to run in Clamshell mode, just open System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement and drag the white bar at the top of the laptop LCD image onto the Apple Cinema Display.

osx-extended-desktop.png

That white bar.

If you don't want to run in Clamshell mode, just open System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement and drag the white bar at the top of the laptop LCD image onto the Apple Cinema Display.

osx-extended-desktop.png

That white bar.

WOW, it took all day for someone to post this??? Yes, do what he said, drag white bar (represents the Menu) to the Cinema to make it your main display when hooked-up. When you unhook everything will go back to the MBP.

Back