Apple 24" LED Cinema Display, better than the dell u2410?

ar09

Gawd
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB382LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1MzE
Apple 24" LED Cinema Display
Mini DisplayPort
178°/178° Viewing Angle
330cd/m2 Brightness
1000:1 Contrast Ratio
14ms Response Time
16.7 Million Colors
3-Port USB 2.0 Hub
2.1 Channel Speakers
iSight Webcam with Microphone
MagSafe Power Connector

---
14ms response time! that's slow, right!?

is the apple cinema (the most recent) monitor, better than the u2410 dell monitor?

Last edited:
I can only speak to the quality of the Apple display, it's quite wonderful. The only caveat is the glare from the glass screen, if the lighting in your computer area glares onto your LCD a matte screen might be a better option.

Cheers

It certainly isn't worth double the price of the dell, you can get the dell 24" on sale around $450.

Of course the Apple screen is much better.

Instead of the u2410 grainy, dirty screen coating you get blissful clean glossy coating + real glass overlay

Of course the Apple screen is much better.

Instead of the u2410 grainy, dirty screen coating you get blissful clean glossy coating + real glass overlay

And a ton of glare.

That 24" cost more than my 30" dell (refurb). I guess if your into glossy and mac than its great.

14ms response time! that's slow, right!?

No, not unless you're picky and are going to play a lot of FPS games.
It's an honest number, measuring a black-white-black-transition (off-on-off). Most manufacturers go with the lower grey-to-grey-transition number in their spec sheet.

The lack of input options really sucks. I'd like to connect a hdmi/dvi device to it.

Its a great monitor and all but not worth the $900IMO.
The difference shouldn't be that big between the two, and Id say just save the $400 and get the dell and avoid some nasty glare at times.

The Cinema Displays are very high quality, and they're manufactured with much greater consistency (in terms of quality and standards) in my opinion.

The Cinema Displays are very high quality, and they're manufactured with much greater consistency (in terms of quality and standards) in my opinion.

... with pretty much the exact same LCD panels from pretty much the exact same LCD panel manufacturers as the Dells, so... ;)

I think people focus entirely too much on what the monitor looks like and not how the monitor looks... (read that two or three times if you must, it makes a lot of sense actually).

... with pretty much the exact same LCD panels from pretty much the exact same LCD panel manufacturers as the Dells, so... ;)

I think people focus entirely too much on what the monitor looks like and not how the monitor looks... (read that two or three times if you must, it makes a lot of sense actually).
You're for getting to mention that they're cherry picked. Same model, yes. But you are sure you're buying a quality display.

Besides, there's more to an LCD than its panel.

Love ipad,love apple:),so……

So what does that have to do with the monitor? just because you like apple, and apple makes that monitor, doesn't make it a good monitor, and if you buy it solely on the fact that apple makes it, then I'm speechless

is the apple cinema (the most recent) monitor, better than the u2410 dell monitor?
Such a question is too vague for a proper response. I mean a cheap TN panel at 120Hz will be better for 3D gaming than the most expensive Eizo LCD.

Here you have the Dell U2410 which is a wide gamut monitor with 10-bit LUT (16,7 million colors from 1,07 billion) that allows to display correctly 2 different color spaces (sRGB and Adobe RGB) without any issue. This monitor compared to the Apple Cinema Display is much better for image editing because of such flexibility. You can also rotate the screen easily because of its excellent stand. It has also lots of inputs, HDMI, DisplayPort, component and composite.

Now, you have the Apple Cinema Display which can display only sRGB color space but with a better contrast ratio. sRGB is enough in most of case and a higher contrast is better for watching movies. You can forget about the LED (white LED here), it is just a marketing stuff when we are talking about IPS panel except for energy saving. I mean as WLED is limited to narrower gamut, it cannot replace wide gamut CCFL you have in U2410 so it is not possible to simply say LED is better than CCFL (RGB LED are better but not WLED). This monitor comes also with speaker, microphone and iSight camera so it is made mainly for general users which own already an Apple computer because of the limited input.

My conclusion is these two monitors are different and can be better depending of your needs.

/me just can't stop laughing at this... seriously, he can't...

To paraphrase Rick James...

"Kool-Aid is a helluva drug..." ;)
Laugh all you want. This is why I'm sorry idiocy isn't painful.

@OP

The choice depends on your use. If not doing incredibly colour sensitive work, you can just get a U2410, calibrate it and go on your merry way. Still, if accurate colours are paramount, high-end models have hardware LUTs and strategies to improve colour and brightness uniformity. Besides, expensive models tend to have their panels cherry picked and some even do extensive testing to ensure uniformity across the panel. Lower-end products, such as that Dell, on the other hand, are often plagued by shady QC and often have tinting or banding issues. Not all units do, though, so you might have to go through a few before finding one you're satisfied with.

Also, don't limit yourself to that Apple vs that Dell - there are many other good alternatives.

Considering the iMac 27 which is no cheap computer also has LCD panel issues (like yellow tinting) I wouldn't buy into the Cherry Picking too much. At the end of the day Apple still needs to build enough monitors to sell and if the panel manufacturer can't supply enough flawless panels Apple isn't going to halt production.

Considering the iMac 27 which is no cheap computer also has LCD panel issues (like yellow tinting) I wouldn't buy into the Cherry Picking too much. At the end of the day Apple still needs to build enough monitors to sell and if the panel manufacturer can't supply enough flawless panels Apple isn't going to halt production.
That's true, but LG's production of those 27'' displays was remarkably flawed. That and, as you say, high demand, explain the issue.

Do note I'm not arguing that Apple monitors are flawless or even in the same category as Eizo or Quato displays. I'm just noting that they're better than monitors int he U2410 price range.

Can you even use this monitor with a PC?
I don't think you can without jumping through hoops and, even then, I don't think it's ideal. I was working with the assumption that the OP had a mac, though,

It has been the general consesnsus among image professionals that the 23" Cinema display is a better monitor, in terms of accuracy, consistency, and color uniformity.

We have a 2 u2410's, one is great the other is meh... one dell2405, outside of lag its an excellent monitor, and the misses has 24" imac at work, and 23" ACD at home.
The 23" is clearly the best monitor out of all of them.

Does anyone know how you can get a 24" apple cinema display working with a PC? I tried googling it, and some people said some ATI cards with display port can work with it, but apparently only some specific models are compatible... Any ideas?

It has been the general consesnsus among image professionals that the 23" Cinema display is a better monitor, in terms of accuracy, consistency, and color uniformity.

We have a 2 u2410's, one is great the other is meh... one dell2405, outside of lag its an excellent monitor, and the misses has 24" imac at work, and 23" ACD at home.
The 23" is clearly the best monitor out of all of them.

The 23 inch you are referring to is 1920x1200 and fairly old from 2005-2006 or so?
What specifically makes it better?

I acquired one from a friend in a trade and use it as a secondary monitor to my NEC EA231WMI-BK. Is it possible I should be using this as my primary monitor and have wrongly skipped over it simply based on its age?

OF COURSE the Apple display is better! It doesn't have the stupid matte grainy sparkly finish! Which doesn't help with reflections anyway, it just creates a diffuse blur on the screen instead of a sharp reflection that is easier to ignore. There's a REASON that all large LCD TVs are glossy.

I would love to see a PC focused monitor that is IPS, LED, and glossy like the Apple display, but that actually had multiple inputs like DVI, VGA, etc, instead of just DisplayPort. I wish manufacturers would actually read these boards and understand what their customers want! Why they are not copying Apple on this boggles the mind.

And for the record, I hate Apple.

Yeah, the reason is clueless consumers. People buying monitors seems to have smartened up and doesn't buy that crap anymore. Aside from apple consumers it seems :eek:

Back