App Updates Also Mandatory for Windows 10 Home Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you a Windows 10 Home Edition owner? You should probably read this.

Maybe it's because the same updating mechanism is used for both, but according to a thread in the Microsoft answers forums, those running Windows 10 Home will get Windows Store app updates in addition to regular Windows updates without the ability to turn either of them off.

Well it's a good thing don't use the Windows Store and have no plans to ever use it as long as I live.

Oh wait, I'm using Pro anyway...

yup, pro here as well. Nothing worth a damn in the windows app store anyways, just dumbed down versions of some programs I can just as easily get from the source website.

And yet another reason to keep running Windows 7.

Maybe Microsoft is just trying to keep people from installing the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Guess I'll be waiting for the App/Hack that puts me back in control of how updates are installed on my systems.

Windows 10 here and it schedules when to restart to apply updates. Which is great if you left something running and lost everything cause of this.

I'm ok with windows updates being forced (by default), however there should be the option to turn it off. Apps? WTF I'm not using a god damn tablet.

There is this, which doesn't give us what we want (or specifically, need), but it's a start at least...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

More in line with what we need, are these solutions. The last one is perhaps the least intrusive, but unfortunately only applies to WiFi, which is a bit narrow-sighted on M$ part given that I for example am on a metered connection yet hook in as many systems as I can via cable.
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10-rtm/

I have no issues if this takes off. Saves me going to 10 different sites just to find patches for all my stuff. One stop shopping would be fine. Works just like the phone "app update bug fixes done".

Don't overthink this

Why is everyone so concerned with Windows 10 "forced updates"? That's all I've been reading. Don't you need to update things sooner or later any way?

Now with that being said, is the Pro version the best version to get?

Why is everyone so concerned with Windows 10 "forced updates"? That's all I've been reading. Don't you need to update things sooner or later any way?

Excellent point. This issues has a LOT of history in the Windows world. Many have complained about the lack of centralized Windows update system and fragmentation forever. Now that Microsoft tried to address that it's like the none of that was ever an issue and should be up to every individual PC user to decide what updates that should receive and thus we're back to square one.

It's a complex issue for something as complex as Windows in which Microsoft doesn't have complete control. I've long argued that Microsoft really shouldn't be the arbiter of updates because I saw this a long way coming. Once Microsoft is or looks like the one controlling updates it was easy to see who'd take the blame for bad updates even for code that didn't come from Microsoft.

Free updates to the latest and greatest coupled with technical issues coupled with who knows who the hell would be making update decisions coupled with it's not even our code that broke your system coupled with why did you let me refuse an update that you knew I should have? Good damn luck with that.

I guess you missed when M$ rolled out 3 months of updates earlier this year (and in December of last year) that had one broken update each month. Yes, they were removed eventually but if you had auto updates enabled and you were one of the poor saps whose system was affected then the removal meant bupkis because you were already screwed.

Because of this sort of thing happening where the updates are beta at best many, such as myself, choose to wait a few weeks to see what shakes out in regards to broken updates so we can choose to not install stuff that messes with the functionality of our systems.

.When M$ decreed that 10 Home users were going to get updates whether they wanted them or not I shot my middle finger in the air and said a hearty FU to them and their free upgrade. I paid for this PC, built this PC and I'm not letting them decide how I use it.

The problem here is forced. There are many reason why a user doesn't want his OS/app to randomly download an update anytime it wishes to do so. Myself for example, I'm on ADSL, therefore with it's limited speed, any update will hog my bandwidth and this would be an issue if I'm doing stuff such as streaming or playing online games. Therefore I always disable auto updates for any applications. Even on Steam, I set an update schedule to only download update when I'm asleep at night. Yes I'll update eventually, but I want to do it at a time of my choosing.

Apart from that, I also avoid updating immediately as updates sometime do create issues. This is especially important for drivers and OS updates. Better to wait and ensure there are no issues before installing them myself.

Having an option is always good. I have no idea why Microsoft seems to be against people having an option.

I tend to wait to update when I'm not in the middle of something as opposed to working on something or playing a game and my computer black screening then rebooting and then updating while I was in the middle of it.

Excellent point. This issues has a LOT of history in the Windows world. Many have complained about the lack of centralized Windows update system and fragmentation forever. Now that Microsoft tried to address that it's like the none of that was ever an issue and should be up to every individual PC user to decide what updates that should receive and thus we're back to square one.

It's a complex issue for something as complex as Windows in which Microsoft doesn't have complete control. I've long argued that Microsoft really shouldn't be the arbiter of updates because I saw this a long way coming. Once Microsoft is or looks like the one controlling updates it was easy to see who'd take the blame for bad updates even for code that didn't come from Microsoft.

Free updates to the latest and greatest coupled with technical issues coupled with who knows who the hell would be making update decisions coupled with it's not even our code that broke your system coupled with why did you let me refuse an update that you knew I should have? Good damn luck with that.

Nobody wants their work or gaming to be interrupted by a forced update. They should just force the update during the next voluntary shutdown, not nag about it and bump people to desktop in the middle of a game.

God Microsoft, even my phone doesn't force me to update apps...

Can this company do anything right? You'd think that after the start screen fiasco they'd have made some effort to not frustrate their users with unnecessary forced anything.

I remember setting up a weekend long render in some raytracing program on the amiga and my father pulling the plug because he had to vaccum clean the room.

Forced restarts despite telling it NO WAIT NO DO NOT DO THAT WAAAAAIT and turning it off and registryediting suck.

.When M$ decreed that 10 Home users were going to get updates whether they wanted them or not I shot my middle finger in the air and said a hearty FU to them and their free upgrade. I paid for this PC, built this PC and I'm not letting them decide how I use it.

This.

I'm not opposed at all to automatic updates, as long as I have a choice to disable them and self manage my updates if I so choose. I'm not about to let M$ dictate terms of how I use a computer that I built and own to me. They can take that shit and blow it out their ass.

And why are we talking about the OS updates in a topic about app updates ?

If we're talking about essential programs like Internet Explorer or Edge (and I am not certain that we are), then there's a fine line between the two categories you named.

And why are we talking about the OS updates in a topic about app updates ?

Do you honestly think M$ can update an app without issue when they can't update their OS's without issue? Whether it's an app from their app store or the core OS itself, the fact remains that I want the ability to manage my PC. Now, if they were willing to subsidize my PC builds I'd be willing to let them dictate how and when my OS got updated. Until then... nope.

I'm guessing MS thinks the Home version is for an average non-power user (the mom/dad/uncle aunt etc type), and that security updates should be installed on forced auto because they are clueless and a liability when it comes to updating.

That being said, I think there should at least have been on option to turn it off. However, at least it does means at least the non savvy user base will not unpatched with the caveat that if a bad update is pushed out, they will could have issues. Pros and cons. As for the app store stuff, meh, couldn't give a shit.

I'm guessing MS thinks the Home version is for an average non-power user (the mom/dad/uncle aunt etc type), and that security updates should be installed on forced auto because they are clueless and a liability when it comes to updating.

That being said, I think there should at least have been on option to turn it off. However, at least it does means at least the non savvy user base will not unpatched with the caveat that if a bad update is pushed out, they will could have issues. Pros and cons. As for the app store stuff, meh, couldn't give a shit.

I have to figure it's at worst a wash. It's beyond incredulous to ignore all the issues associated with unpatched software and say Microsoft should just let everyone regardless of capability decide what to install. People talk of bricked systems yet ignore malware that targets unpatched systems

I'm not saying that forcing all updates is anywhere near the ideal solution but acting as though it's nothing but trouble and just ignoring patches is the perfect solution isn't all that great either.

You can still turn off auto updates for Windows 10 Home by going into services.msc and stopping/disabling the service for it.

Then you can re-enable the service to do your updates when you feel like.

That being said, I think there should at least have been on option to turn it off.

I'd settle for a setting that would delay the forced updates for 30 or 60 days, and instead just notified me there are updates waiting. That would at least give me time to install them at my convenience, and only force the updates if I waited too long.

I don't see a big deal I run classic shell on my win 8.1 laptops and no way am updating to 10.
from 7. Every one says 8.1 is faster but my 2 win 7 laptops are smoother than both my 8.1 machines. Screw MS I ain't letting MS dictate updates they fu@#up all year long. Wait until they install a bad update and brick a majority of standard user machines!!!! They will try to weasel their way out....

Others have said it before, but I'll make is simple. Here's why I don't want forced updates of any kind, app or OS:
1) updates can be (and too frequently are) buggy. Either they cause problems or corrupt data or don't actually work. I don't wanna be MS's guinea pig.
2) I don't always finish my work by the end of the day, and few things are as frustrating as coming back to the computer in the morning to find that the OS has updated itself and rebooting, losing me a whole pile of browser tabs and resetting my workspace in Eclipse.

I anticipate some judicious use of services.msc if/when I upgrade to Win10.

Others have said it before, but I'll make is simple. Here's why I don't want forced updates of any kind, app or OS:
1) updates can be (and too frequently are) buggy. Either they cause problems or corrupt data or don't actually work. I don't wanna be MS's guinea pig.
2) I don't always finish my work by the end of the day, and few things are as frustrating as coming back to the computer in the morning to find that the OS has updated itself and rebooting, losing me a whole pile of browser tabs and resetting my workspace in Eclipse.

I anticipate some judicious use of services.msc if/when I upgrade to Win10.

1) that is why OS updates go to fast ring insider builds first, then slow ring insider builds, then Home, then Pro & Enterprise.
2) Change time & day for restart then :
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-lets-you-schedule-windows-update-restarts/
schedule-update-1.png

What are you people complaining about? There's no reason why anyone here should be running home and not pro. Home is for people that don't know what the hell they're doing with a computer. Home is for your parents. Those people seriously need automatic updates. If you're a power user, if you're [H], you run pro and you turn off auto updates if you need to.

What are you people complaining about? There's no reason why anyone here should be running home and not pro. Home is for people that don't know what the hell they're doing with a computer. Home is for your parents. Those people seriously need automatic updates. If you're a power user, if you're [H], you run pro and you turn off auto updates if you need to.

Exactly. Worse case scenario, you should have spent 0-20 bucks to get an 8 Pro license when when those offers were available. Even if you only used it for an upgrade to 9 (or as it turns out, 10).

Education version here.
Comparison
Wikipedia Chart

can the education edition be installed on multiple motherboards?

I'm not sure if i can upgrade to win10 now and upgrade my PC later and still have a valid key?

the restriction is only for OEM right? and edu is not considered oem i guess?

1) that is why OS updates go to fast ring insider builds first, then slow ring insider builds, then Home, then Pro & Enterprise.
2) Change time & day for restart then :
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10-lets-you-schedule-windows-update-restarts/
1) It doesn't matter. Microsoft have already shown that buggy patches are to be expected.
2) It sounds like I'd have to do this every time there's a patch. That's not acceptable from a user perspective.
What are you people complaining about? There's no reason why anyone here should be running home and not pro.
Because Pro costs 50% more, when I only need a couple dinky features (like deferred updates, and backing up to a network drive) that were arbitrarily selected to be excluded from Home.

1) It doesn't matter. Microsoft have already shown that buggy patches are to be expected.
2) It sounds like I'd have to do this every time there's a patch. That's not acceptable from a user perspective.
Because Pro costs 50% more, when I only need a couple dinky features (like deferred updates, and backing up to a network drive) that were arbitrarily selected to be excluded from Home.

So buy a Windows 8 license. They're 65 bucks. You upgrade it once to 10 and from then on you can just install 10 directly.

65 bucks is way WAY less than what you paid for any other upgrade, other than 8 when itw as 0-25 bucks (which apparently many on this board didn't take advantage of for whatever reason).

Back