App Turns Old iPhones, iPads into a Home Security System

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Someone finally came up with a clever idea for re-using out of date iPhones and iPads: turn them into a Jim Dandy home security system. All you need to complete the system, other than your old phones, is a free iOS App and you’re all set. :cool:

I have an old 3GS I've been looking to re-use. This seems like it'll fit the bill.

Couldn't you install one of those GPS tracking apps to locate the device once it's stolen? That would be a win win? You'll know when your house gets burglarized and you'll be able to find them quickly. Or do you need a data plan to use the GPS signals?

so now the thieves can steal the security system too. Nice.

as mentioned in the article, youll have a beautiful picture of them staring into the camera reaching up to take it, smile for the Fuz!

I'm all for repurposing, I already use my phone as a dashcam because I have had way too many close calls in the past few months.

Really would have been nice if they had made it run on the oldest devices - the 3GS is still fairly current (it can run the current OS.) I have one original iPhone and two iPhone 3G's sitting unused that I'd love to use for this. And an original iPad that would be good as the "monitor" system.

(The iPad is still used, as is one of the iPhone 3G's, although that 3G is about to be upgraded.)

Really would have been nice if they had made it run on the oldest devices - the 3GS is still fairly current (it can run the current OS.) I have one original iPhone and two iPhone 3G's sitting unused that I'd love to use for this. And an original iPad that would be good as the "monitor" system.

(The iPad is still used, as is one of the iPhone 3G's, although that 3G is about to be upgraded.)

The iPhone and iPhone 3G are over 5 years old already. They are positively ancient. Odds are the author of the app couldn't use older phones because of certain instruction calls needed for the OS or Camera that are only found in newer versions. It could also be possible that the 3G and older have just too slow of CPU's to run the motion tracking software.

I regularly use my old smart phones for remotes, media players, and even surveillance screens. Not a bad idea.

Back