Apex Legends launching monday(titanfall BR)

What's surprising to me is that the reception has been so positive without a third-person mode - and there are no plans to add one.

Another thing about the anti-hype release is that the various Battlefield and COD games have been notorious for having gigantic marketing budgets, to the tune of $100M+ for a game...and the games are often not even polished on release. Obviously we'll need to wait and see if the game has staying power, but there's a lot to analyze here.

What's surprising to me is that the reception has been so positive without a third-person mode - and there are no plans to add one.

Another thing about the anti-hype release is that the various Battlefield and COD games have been notorious for having gigantic marketing budgets, to the tune of $100M+ for a game...and the games are often not even polished on release. Obviously we'll need to wait and see if the game has staying power, but there's a lot to analyze here.
if you put 3rd person in then china gets involved and hordes of cheaters come in. then region locking and all that stuff will come up like it did for pubg. since respawn is US based I'm not surprised theres no 3rd person. the people getting paid to market this game are twitch streamers and all of them never played pubg again in 3rd person once 1st person came out. fortnite works in 3rd person cause it was built that way from the beginning long before they added br and building in 1st person would be a claustrophobic hassle.

That's honestly the most effective way to hype up the game now...

You have some of the biggest influencers in the industry paid to play the game for hours to hundreds of thousands of viewers that will inevitably spread the hype by word of mouth.

Watching a streamer a day or so before launch is not exactly the long drawn out hype marketers refer to. Hyped up, yes. But not to a degree associated with product launches in general like a GPU or some such.

Obviously still very effective and I would assume a lot cheaper than a full bore ad campaign.

if you put 3rd person in then china gets involved and hordes of cheaters come in. then region locking and all that stuff will come up like it did for pubg. since respawn is US based I'm not surprised theres no 3rd person. the people getting paid to market this game are twitch streamers and all of them never played pubg again in 3rd person once 1st person came out. fortnite works in 3rd person cause it was built that way from the beginning long before they added br and building in 1st person would be a claustrophobic hassle.

Yep, Fortnite was the first game where I "caved" and played 3rd person, after years of FPS only. I'm okay with it for Fortnite, which is something of a wacky arcade shooter most of the time, but for any sort of tactical shooter it basically invalidates any sort of tactical movement and ruins the game to me. But people love it because it's easier, which is why I'm surprised (and pleased) that they will not be adding one to Apex.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Personally I like this more than any other BR game so far. It is faster paced than most, has first person view, third person is stupid for games like this. The only thing I see missing is mech warriors if they add some sort of mech warrior it maybe every player should have mech call down as an ultimate. That would cement its place in BR game play.

I am addicted to this game. Sucks that I suck. Getting better. My main problem is I haven't been playing games like bf3, bf4, and cod for a couple years now. Mainly been playing arma3 for the last few years. \

If they do eventually add the mech things as well as drivable vehicles, this could be like, bonkers successful.

I am addicted to this game. Sucks that I suck. Getting better. My main problem is I haven't been playing games like bf3, bf4, and cod for a couple years now. Mainly been playing arma3 for the last few years. \

I haven't had a ton of time to play it, so right now I'm kinda still figuring out the TTK on all these weapons. It's never clear to me whether the weapon I'm looking at is any better than the one I already have since there's no damage info or anything else I can see.

same, i'm absolutely garbage, hadn't really played FPS games in years because BF1 and pubg were garbage and those were the first two FPS games i had bought since BFBC2.. BFV wasn't a whole lot better and the building mechanic in fortnite quickly got out of hand once people figured out how poorly it was implemented and took advantage of it. Apex on the other hand i've enjoyed the shit out of it but yeah you don't want to be the unlucky one getting me on your team. at least i won a game though so i got that even though i got 0 kills with 250 damage i revived my teammates 6 times so they could carry me. :)

If they do eventually add the mech things as well as drivable vehicles, this could be like, bonkers successful.

they would need a bigger map but i think this ones perfect for 60 people, games are pretty quick and there's always action. never get stuck in a 20 minute pickup loot fest like pubg.

I haven't had a ton of time to play it, so right now I'm kinda still figuring out the TTK on all these weapons. It's never clear to me whether the weapon I'm looking at is any better than the one I already have since there's no damage info or anything else I can see.

agree.. the wingman pistol's pretty ridiculous but have to be able to aim and the damage drop off from shotguns going from 1 shot kill to crap for damage is pretty drastic from what i've seen. AR's seem to be the best, sniper rifles the bullets are way to slow unless you're trying to pick some one off that isn't looking at you. but i haven't really figured out which ones i like the most and i have a habit of running around with 2 of the same guns because it's so hard to tell some of them apart once a gun has an optical on it.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
I'm straight garbage at this game but I love it. This is the BR game for me, or at least the one I've enjoyed the most.

Getting there. First 4 rounds I was bad. Now I get at least 3 kills a game and am top 5 squad. Have yet to win. Best is second so far.

Reactions: Aix.
like this
I'm looking for a good BR type game where you don't get sniped out by a Unicum within the first 30 seconds. And no GD Building shit !!!

From what I've seen so far it looks like players have a damage pool. You have to get hit several times to be killed, and you can roll back and re-animate somewhat with health injections of some sort.

I like that idea. No more insta-kill bullshit?

What I'm really impressed with is the Set Target FPS option. I don't lI've screwingwith settings to try and figure out what makes the most difference so I just set the fps I'm looking for (100hz GSync panel so I set it to 98fps) and it does what it needs to do to keep my FPS in that range, seemingly on the fly.

Really impressive.

My 1070 is not up to the task on a 3440x1440 screen so this is a welcome option

Turn everything down except maybe tsaa and player models. I mean all the way down. I think vsunc has to be enabled for gsync btw. Regular gsync not adaptive. I don't have a gysnc monitor but use triple buffering. Update to latest drivers. The reason for all this is that you might crash and have bad hit reg otherwise. Regardless of your PC power. It doesn't matter. High settings tend to make the game wonky. It doesn't look much different on low settings either.

The game is much more survivable than pubg. I really recommend trying it with at least one friend bc they can receive you and even if you die can grab your banner and take it to a point that allows you to respawn. The game is the best br to date.

I hate all BR games right off the bat because I suck so bad at them. Then maybe 5 matches in I start to enjoy them, lol.

lowered the settings but still runs kinda bad. 60-80 fps. bunch of games where I cant find more than a pistol or shotgun. followed by one game I actually get some kills. not fun enough to keep me playing. the round I got 3 kills in there was a long fight between my team and another one which was fun. but that was the first fun round in 90 minutes of playing.

Last edited:
My issue with this game is just the lag. I've yet to get connected to a match where the lag wasn't just absolutely terrible. It seems like they don't have many west coast servers or something.

My issue with this game is just the lag. I've yet to get connected to a match where the lag wasn't just absolutely terrible. It seems like they don't have many west coast servers or something.

What???

I’m in Los Angeles and haven’t had a single hiccup. That’s odd??

The performance of this game is poopy for me. I know my 980 Ti is a bottleneck, but damn, I have to play in 1080p to really take advantage of my 165hz display. At 1440p I range from 50-70 fps (max settings.)

yeah i've heard the same thing from a friend but never once experienced that, i've pretty much always connected to the seattle server or central server for every game.. i do know there's a bugged area where if you walk inside of one of the buildings your frame rate goes to complete trash for the rest of the match but not awake enough to remember the exact area, will update when i get to play again tomorrow night.

Played some more today and the lag/server issues seem to be fixed. This is by far the best BR game i've played. EA is definitely going to make some money off of this. I like the addition of the different classes, and the balance is impressive.

Just add some more map variety and i'm set.

I finally dove in last night for the first time.

Like Titanfall 2, it runs greats - which is awesome.

The art-style doesn't seem to "pop" in any way though.. Hopefully this will be remedied as time goes on. (same goes for gun design)

But dat ping though.... This should've been implemented 10 years ago!

I want to say "this could be the one for me" but it's too early to tell.

servers are shitting the bed since yesterday for me and my friends. east to west, all having issues.

Anyone else get random crashes, and occasional black flickering textures with ambient occlusion enabled? I've had to disable AO.

Really solid game! I had a few matches today that were unplayable due to lag but that’s the only issue I’ve ran into. I like all of the classes. I haven’t really found a gun that stands out but it seems really balanced. I think the player size is perfect. The ping feature is great!

I’d like to see something done about the shield. Being able to recharge your shield indefinitely may be a little much.

No fall damage is great.

Watching shroud play this game is absolutely insane.

Really solid game! I had a few matches today that were unplayable due to lag but that’s the only issue I’ve ran into. I like all of the classes. I haven’t really found a gun that stands out but it seems really balanced. I think the player size is perfect. The ping feature is great!

I’d like to see something done about the shield. Being able to recharge your shield indefinitely may be a little much.

No fall damage is great.

yeah every game shroud plays he makes it look fun. then when I get in its boring/cant find any good guns/game takes 5 minutes to join match/server lags and the issues go on and on. its definitely a free game. they have a patch coming next week

No fall damage is great.

Shroud is a god at this game. I feel like he plays it at a completely different pace than anyone else I've watched, and that includes a lot of the other big BR streamers. I honestly think he's better at Apex than he is at PUBG, and he's arguably the best PUBG player out there.

Shroud is a god at this game. I feel like he plays it at a completely different pace than anyone else I've watched, and that includes a lot of the other big BR streamers. I honestly think he's better at Apex than he is at PUBG, and he's arguably the best PUBG player out there.
do all the characters have the same movement speed? it looks like hes running so fast. I think its cause his fov is turned up or hes playing a character I havnt.

I personally find games based on the Quake engine (Or in this case, the distant relative Source) easier to play. I don't know what it is about PUBG but I can never hit shit, and it just doesn't 'feel' right.

Jumping into this game just feels very natural for anyone who's played shooters in the past. They really nailed the mechanics.

My only current issue is that there are some definite server issues, and the lag can be real sometimes.

Game is additive as hell. Easily the best BR game on the market now, who knew one of EA's studio's could hit it out of the park......

do all the characters have the same movement speed? it looks like hes running so fast. I think its cause his fov is turned up or hes playing a character I havnt.

I'm honestly not sure about character speeds. It sure feels like Caustic is slower than others, but I don't know if that's just in my head or not. As far as Shroud goes, I think he just maximizes the momentum building off of sliding as much as he can. He slides on every single down-slope that he comes across, even the tiny ones. He also plays a lot of Bangalore and Wraith, both of whom have speed increase abilities (Bangalore has a passive that boosts speed when she gets shot at, and Wraith's "Q" ability is a boost while it's active).

Game is additive as hell. Easily the best BR game on the market now, who knew one of EA's studio's could hit it out of the park......
Well considering Titanfall and Titanfall 2 were phenomenal games in the gameplay department I'm not very surprised that Apex is great as well. Guess EA learned it's lesson by not stealing the spotlight from Respawn to promote yet another Battlefield game.

I installed this game last night with pre notions that it would suck and I would hate it because I don't really like BR games. I actually had a good time playing it. It kind of reminds me of Tribes Ascend in regards to the hill slides.

I kind of hope they add in a normal TDM/DM game modes. This is a fairly solid shooter, and honestly, i'd enjoy playing some classic game modes over BR personally.

Is this game something you have to be ultra twitchy to compete in or is there some form of strategy/stealth also involved? The last twitch shooter I played was UT and that was many years ago. Metro, Fallout, Far Cry, Tomb Raider are more my pace these days... /feelin old. For reference I haven't played any BR modes for any game out there except the original AM/TAM for UT2K4.

Is this game something you have to be ultra twitchy to compete in or is there some form of strategy/stealth also involved? The last twitch shooter I played was UT and that was many years ago. Metro, Fallout, Far Cry, Tomb Raider are more my pace these days... /feelin old. For reference I haven't played any BR modes for any game out there except the original AM/TAM for UT2K4.

I wouldn't call it ultra twitchy....and there is a lot of strat/stealth involved. Its basically Titan Fall minus the Titans in a BR game.

Back