Apex Legends Hits 50 Million Players

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In a tweet that Eurogamer spotted, Respawn's CEO revealed that Apex Legends has hit 50 million players merely 4 weeks after the surprise launch. Roundhill Investments has been tracking the progress of Apex Legend's meteoric rise, and notes that it took Fortnite almost 5 times as long to hit 50 million players. Right now, Apex Legends has 160,788 viewers on twitch, compared to about 179,000 for Fortnite and 52,235 for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, but how far Apex Legends will continue to rise remains to be seen. Either way, this is undoubtedly great news for Respawn and EA.

Check out the celebratory video here.

While some are pegging Apex Legends as the "Fortnite killer", it seems Epic is still doing pretty great. Thanks to the Marshmello concert, Fortnite had its biggest event ever on February 2nd with 10.7m players, and on February 16th had its biggest non-event day with 7.6m. Fortnite also has the advantage of more platforms, with significant player numbers on Switch and mobile.

im done with it due to complete BR burnout, but apex is a much, much better game and a lot of fun. The characters yell out comms automatically, or if you middle click on ANYTHING- enemy, item, area, the game tells your team. its really nice not having to voice chat with randoms. but the best part of all- when you start shooting someone they done turn into a skyscraper in 0.00576432 seconds.

I never jumped on the BR bandwagon until Apex. I'm quite pleased with it. I didn't play fornite because the building and 3rd person turned me off. I heard a lot of bad from PUBG, too.

Now if they do something about the hackers and glitches like speed reloading and bunny hopping. Would be even better.

Game would be better with TDM modes like Fortnite tosses in 50v50 is damn fun and who cares if you win, we refreshing to play that with the kid, as not everything needs to be this spend forever finding someone to shoot.

Hunt suffered from this with the non stop sneak around, I could only handle that repetition for a few hours before writing that game off as Kyle's fault for saying it was good when he was clearly visiting Colorado

And I’m still playing. Both on console with friends and on pc with the few who play.

Glad to see it succeeding.

3 man squads killed it for my group as stupid as that sounds. 2 man or 4 man is fine, but since a lot of our group come in pairs, someone gets left out. The option to chose to play a man down instead of a forced rando would be nice as well.

3 man squads killed it for my group as stupid as that sounds. 2 man or 4 man is fine, but since a lot of our group come in pairs, someone gets left out. The option to chose to play a man down instead of a forced rando would be nice as well.
Solo and duo are in the mix according to multiple sources.

Never tried Fortnite or PUBG, but this game is incredibly fun.

Glad there is competition out there. Personally, it is still not a replacement for Fortnite for two reasons; One it isn't cross platform which kills it for me pretty much (my kids play Fortnite on their Switches, I join them sometimes on PC). Second, my kids are pretty young and Fortnite does a good job of keeping the violence cartoony. No blood or anything.

I haven't played it in a couple weeks but my oldest son still does. I'm just not that good and the rounds take too long for too little reward. Fortnite had the same issue. You land, spend a bunch of time powering up and finding guns and then I end up dying in my first squad fight more often than not. There is definitely satisfaction in winning the round and killing multiple other squads, but it isn't enough (for me) to make up for all the failed attempts. I think that's why I like Rainbox Six Siege (no time spent finding guns and power-ups). I'll still die in my first engagement sometimes and have to wait out the round, but it's quick. And you can man the cameras and do something somewhat helpful even if you're dead.

I wonder how epic will bankroll their store if apex has stolen all the fortnite players. It's much harder to loss lead when your golden goose is gone

Glad there is competition out there. Personally, it is still not a replacement for Fortnite for two reasons; One it isn't cross platform which kills it for me pretty much (my kids play Fortnite on their Switches, I join them sometimes on PC). Second, my kids are pretty young and Fortnite does a good job of keeping the violence cartoony. No blood or anything.

I'm a parent too. I don't see the problem with blood or violence. As long as s/he knows that guns are to be respected and not a toy. I've taught my girl to know that a) Don't point any gun at anything you don't want to be around anymore. permanently. This includes nerf guns and the like.

I agree with the cross platform point. Having the ability to play with my family who own just an Xbox would be very nice. I really hope this comes to the game.

Apex is amazing, perfect for esport, now Respawn need to start rolling out content before monetizing it.
first a ladder or ranking system, also a solo mode more maps and champions.

Not saying that 50 million isn't impressive but I always take this with a grain of salt when It comes to free to play games. One thing they don't take into account is how many people installed it and tried it once only to never play again. Its easier to hit big numbers like this when there is zero cost involved to try it out.

Not saying that 50 million isn't impressive but I always take this with a grain of salt when It comes to free to play games. One thing they don't take into account is how many people installed it and tried it once only to never play again. Its easier to hit big numbers like this when there is zero cost involved to try it out.

I've installed it and never even launched it. Liking (I SPENT THE MONEY I HAVE TO PLAY IT) Black Ops 4 way too much. More realistic guns/hunt and next to zero of the sub-teenager crowd. My kids have it on their PC's and still play Fortnite religiously. They're too heavily invested to change I think.

I think Apex Legends is about the worst game ever. I actually cannot stand it now. Movement compared to Black Out is a 1 on a scale of 10. Signed up my friend Joe to play and he logged in and logged out hahah. I wish they would make Black Out free to play.

I’m still a PUBG player, I like the slow pace and build up for the intense fights and the realistic vs cartoonish style of gameplay.

My last match last night I got smoked by a hacker - that is my biggest issue with the game. They really need to fix the hacking and now this new bug where you see the loot on the ground you just can’t pick it up.

Its a fun game but I suck at it. I might pick it up again once there are many new maps or maybe a solo play option. 90% of the time I get grouped in with people that are too trigger happy and give away our groups position too early in the game.

Watched people play this. Same map every time. Looks like other shooters, get the other team before they get you

Good for them but after 2 years of BR games I’m sort of burnt out. Back to the single player grind for me for the foreseeable future.

I think Apex Legends is about the worst game ever. I actually cannot stand it now. Movement compared to Black Out is a 1 on a scale of 10. Signed up my friend Joe to play and he logged in and logged out hahah. I wish they would make Black Out free to play.

I find BLOPS4 to just be too laggy and mushy (even on a 7700k/1080Ti on low/med settings). I played it since it came out, but for being a premium AAA game, they do not have their act together and their engine is terrible.

I tried PUBG and Fortnite, although very briefly and I could not get into either. I am hooked on Apex legend though. This would be the first online shooters I have spent this much time on since Counterstrike 1.5.

Yes, but that's the case with all f2p player counts.
So comparing it to Fortnite is a direct comparison

I find BLOPS4 to just be too laggy and mushy (even on a 7700k/1080Ti on low/med settings). I played it since it came out, but for being a premium AAA game, they do not have their act together and their engine is terrible.

*backs away slowly*

I've been playing it(blops4) for a month on an i3 2300/GTX1070. I thought it ran amazing considering. (although Ryzen 5 2600/new board/ram arrived today)

Only shooter I play anymore is Squad. I can't stand Battle Royale mode in any game, Squad is just more my type of thing in general. if I want a twitch fest I just load up Overwatch for some mindless fun.

Back