APC SUA1500RM2U how noisy is it?

So I've got a crazy idea which probably won't work, but I wanted to ask.

I want to get a 2u rackmount UPS for my home theater system. Rackmount simply because I want something rectangular in a horizontal configuration that will fit nicely in the bottom shelf of my entertainment stand. Floor space is limited for larger boxy units like the regular SUA1500.

I'm looking at a refurbed SUA1500RM2U, since its an extremely reliable unit and can be gotten for a good price.

Does anyone have one of these and can tell me how noisy it is under normal operation? I understand it has a fan which is always on. Is that fan audible? If so can it be replaced with a quieter fan without compromising the stability of the unit.

Any other units recommended for this use case?

Thanks?

Last edited:
That is a really good question. I've only ever been around those units when they where in a rack full of screaming servers.

The APC product page simply says "Audible noise at 1 meter from surface of unit: 46.0dBA", but doesn't say what load or conditions that's for.

louder than I would want in a living area.
Don't know about replacing them but given the limited air inlet space I don't see it getting enough cooling with really quiet fans under load.

The older sua1500 and 1000 don't run the fans unless they are providing power from the battery. I have a sua1500 at my feet right now.

The older sua1500 and 1000 don't run the fans unless they are providing power from the battery. I have a sua1500 at my feet right now.

Are you speaking about the floorstanding units or the rackmounts?

I've got an SMT1500, non-rackmount sitting below my desk. The fan is always running but its completely inaudible. If the rackmount version was the same for noise level, I'd buy one for my entertainment system. Either SUA1500RM2U or newer SMT1500RM2U would be fine.

Back