APC RS 1500 problem or stupid user!?

VtLgsr245

n00b
Hi guys,

I wanted to protect my server from power outages so purchased a APC RS1500 redundant power unit. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1500

Either Im really thick or the unit is DOA and I just want to confirm this is the case before I package it up to send it off.

I connected the unit to the wall power, power on test completes with green light and looks ok, left it charge over night.

When I connect my PC to one of the battery backed outputs, the PC refuses to power on. if I connect the PC to one of the filtered but not battery backed outputs it works as normal.

Any ideas? DOA?

thanks guys
Ian

Install the software, connect the USB cable (not necessarily in that order) and see what the software tells you about the unit.

It's possible that your PSU is not compatible with the output of this UPS - there's a recent thread on this either in this forum or the Power Supply forum.

Did you open it up to connect the battery? They ship with it disconnected.

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

Dan,yes I connected the battery, this is the only thing I could see would be a potential gotcha.
Michael, I installed the software,connected the USB lead and the unit reports everything is green, battery charged 100% and no power outages, everything looks as expected.

However, still cant power up either PC from the battery backed outputs.

They are both usingCorsaid hx620 PSUs so perhaps thats the issue....will look for the other thread, thanks for the heads up.

Ian

Try hitting the reset button on the back of the ups.

I found the compatibility thread here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1290494&highlight=apc

Sounds like the issue is with some PSU's other than the corsair ones, it sounds a bit techy but from what I can see and understand, the Corsair HX620 should work with this APC unit.

I will give the reset button another press, did that before and nothing changed,it doesnt click or anything - should it?

tried the rest button, no joy.

Also tried connecting another device (printer) to the unit but no luck either so I guess it is busted.

Thx for your help guys
Ian

Try something really simple with no electronics - like an incandescent lamp. If that doesn't work, the UPS is the culprit.

those units are buggy.
i have the same, except the 1000.
it just blew out. all i did was unplug the powercord to the PC.
Overload light came on. internal circuitry got messed up.
i did some research, seems to be a common problem.

I would return the unit, but if you have to pay shipping back it will cost a fortune.

Back