Apartments Demand Tenants 'Like' Facebook Page Or Face Action

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not an expert on crap like this but I'm predicting the apartment complex in question is going to be backpedaling on this one real quick. I can't believe the property management even approved such a stupid idea. I wonder how many likes they have after the news picked this one up. :eek:

Tenants of the City Park Apartments told KSL that a “Facebook addendum” showed up taped to their doors Thursday night. The contract requires tenants to friend the City Park Apartments on Facebook within five days, or be found in breach of the rental agreement, though some of the tenants already signed a lease agreement months ago. The document also includes a release allowing the apartment to post pictures of tenants and their visitors on the page.

That can't have any legal standing, can it? What if there are tenants without a Facebook account? Are they going to force them to create one or threaten eviction?
Good point. I know plenty of people who do not participate in social media (FB, Twitter, etc.)

That can't have any legal standing, can it? What if there are tenants without a Facebook account? Are they going to force them to create one or threaten eviction?

They owned up to their huge misstep by saying that tenants are not obligated to follow section 5 (this addendum).

I can't find a reliable link to the source but if you search through Facebook you can find a copy of the letter from the complex that stated they went too far with it.

Social media is out of hand. I think it would be ok to ask people to willingly ask for a "like", but not require it. As another poster said, what happens if you don't use social media? Very stupid.

Social media is out of hand. I think it would be ok to ask people to willingly ask for a "like", but not require it. As another poster said, what happens if you don't use social media? Very stupid.

Millennials now make up most of the workforce and we lack critical thinking skills plus we also only think of ourselves. We use Facebook so everybody else does too, right?

Good point. I know plenty of people who do not participate in social media (FB, Twitter, etc.)

I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others....I continue to use old fashioned email and sometimes (EGHADS....) use the phone to talk to another human being. My last three jobs in education asked if I used social media....I told them I could scream out a window....they laughed and I was still hired.

Total bullshit.
I don't have any Facebook,. Twitter or any of that shit.............those apartment management people could go fuck themselves.

Now.......get off my lawn.

How about being such a good property manager/landlord that tenants willingly and without provocation "like" you on Facebook? Crazy, I know.

LOL, they posted notices on their doors months after they had already signed a lease. This apartment complex is going to get absolutely shellacked in court.

They owned up to their huge misstep by saying that tenants are not obligated to follow section 5 (this addendum).

I can't find a reliable link to the source but if you search through Facebook you can find a copy of the letter from the complex that stated they went too far with it.
If they're not obligated, why include it in the lease contract to begin with? They should just rip the section out now that they've been caught with their pants down.
LOL, they posted notices on their doors months after they had already signed a lease. This apartment complex is going to get absolutely shellacked in court.
If I'm not mistaken, current tenants cannot be compelled to accept addendums to the contract they originally signed until the current lease expires.

In America, don't you have freedom of speech constitutionally protected, including the right to not speak?

If they'd stuck to it, I'd have created a fake facebook page followed them and posted nasty things on their page every day until the blocked me ;) I'd also make sure I had a new place to live at the end of my lease :D

I also wouldn't sign the release that allows them to post pictures of tenants. It presents a danger to some people who are trying to protect themselves and their children by keeping their location a secret from stalkers, violent exes and others.

I also wouldn't sign the release that allows them to post pictures of tenants.

This. Not only do I not use facebook (or any of the other social media garbage), We have insisted that other family members NOT identify our kids or us in any picture they happen to post.

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you.

LOL on the latest Yelp review. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
upload_2016-6-1_17-31-52.png

I'll sign the release that allows them to post a picture of me, but only if *I* get to choose the exact picture they use. Heh heh heh.

Reading the form, if that isn't extremely one fucking sided. You have to friend them, going forward all changes to policies and request from management will be posted on Facebook and are considered received by every single resident the moment that they are posted. However management will not receive any work request via Facebook and you are not allowed to consider anything received by them until you physically hand it to them. If you are already assuming (and requiring) that everyone has Facebook and uses that for communication from you then it should be just as reasonable for those people to communicate back to you via Facebook.

If they're not obligated, why include it in the lease contract to begin with? They should just rip the section out now that they've been caught with their pants down.

If I'm not mistaken, current tenants cannot be compelled to accept addendums to the contract they originally signed until the current lease expires.

That might be a little bit of a gray area and also depends on their contracts. While certain things such as your rent might be locked in due to your contract, in most cases they can make changes to overall policies whenever they want within certain scopes. If your landlord decides that as of next Monday there is no parking in this certain space because they are making it handicap only spot you have to follow that right away. Or if people keep doing something bad and so they decide not to allow some certain thing. An example was the complex of somebody I knew sent out letters because people kept letting their kids leave their toys all over the side walks and all over the grounds. So new policy stated they would start throwing away anything left laying around in their way when trying to do lawn work if it wasn't next to your patio. I have also seen places threaten fines for people that don't pick up dog shit if the problem starts to become bad. Now they can't suddenly decide that everyone is going to pay a $1000 a week support fee or something like that. But it isn't that unheard of to allow at least smaller scale policy changes to be allowed during your contract cycle. That holds true for many things. Your cell phone carrier or tv service company probably has something in there how they have the right to change any policy they see fit at any time. That said I would consider this more of the shouldn't be allowed area of changes, but in general certain changes might be allowed depending on what they are.

....use the phone to talk to another human being...
Good golly, you mean to tell me that a phone can actually talk to another person? I mean for real? Surely you must be pulling my leg. :p

Back on track, I do not participate in "social media" either, unless you consider lurking on a couple of online forums "social media". Heck, I do not even carry a cell phone, much less a 'smart' phone, anymore. I guess I would have to look for a new place to live if I lived in a place such as this one.

I will get on the phone or heaven forbid use a car.Piss on social media

Either that or some very old person that only has a vague idea of what social media actually is.^

In America, don't you have freedom of speech constitutionally protected, including the right to not speak?

This is not a free speech issue. Free speech has more to do with the government suppression of speech than some asshat apartment manager.

Even the year-old Yelp reviews are terrible. Probably why they tried to enforce rules to curb the bad ones. I'm sure they thought that was easier than just fixing the problems.

Back