Apartment Clubhouse / Wireless Implementation

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I have to setup wireless LAN in an apartment clubhouse soon. Within the clubhouse there will be leasing employee PC's and then there will be a business center with computers for residential use. Additionally, we would like to have a wifi hotspot in the pool area.

I would like to segment the employee LAN from the public LAN for obvious security concerns.

What type of hardware would you guys recommend to make all of this happen?

Hi,

After doing a little research the Gateway 7001 AP's look pretty impressive for the price.

However, how would I go about affordibly segmenting two LANs?

exactly what hardware is already in place there? are these PCs you speak of already there or are you planning their deployment? just deploying the WAP?

separating the LANs is a piece of cake:

Internet --- Firewall #1 --- Public LAN --- Firewall #2 --- Private LAN

Hi,

There is no existing infrastructure. I will be working on this within the next couple of weeks. I am just trying to figure out what type wireless hardware would be the best and also how I could compltely segment the employee pc's from the pool area hotspot.

lomn75: I understand your point, however, what affordable hardware would you use for this?

BTW: there are 4 employee PC's and there will probably be a maximum of residents 5-20 people on the AP at any given time.

Well, "affordable" is a very relative term. Your home-user-$70-router can do the job but it's not what I would consider appropriate for mission-critical access and flexible firewall stuff.

If, however, we're looking at primarily browsing and email, and the possibility of 15-minute downtime is acceptable, I think even those would be fine -- just keep a couple on-hand as backups if one goes down.

How would I go ahead and segment with a soho router? Also, what is the prefered method of doing this?

Just like the diagram I posted. Disable the WiFi on # 2. DHCP on both routers. Router #1 gets ISP settings, #2 gets DHCP.

Any forwarding settings that need to be applied or will it work like that out of the box?

CeD said:
Any forwarding settings that need to be applied or will it work like that out of the box?
Out of the box for basic use, forwarding if you've got a webserver or the like internally.

Back