AP Brand Recomendation

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys. I'm sure there are posts about AP recommendations, but figured I might start a fresh one for my own benefit.

Currently we have 3com POE based APs. They are BG, but not the greatest. We are looking for APs that are capable of multiple VLANs and multiple SSIDs. Besides grabbing something like a Cisco 1131AG or a 1141 I have no idea what else is out there and is as good or if not better than the Cisco. On of the catches is that we are looking to implement some wifi in our warehouses (so extreme heat, cold, dust, and god knows what else) to accommodate not running cables under the street.

So H guys. Can you recommend me a POE Access Point that has at least b/g, capable of multiple ssids, rugged, and fairly priced. Depending on Cost Managed would be nice, but they amount of APs we will need (About 10) it's isnt necessary

Last edited:
Two thumbs up for HP ProCurve wireless from me..rock solid, handles loads well, HP has a management utility for them too.

how do they respond to the extremes of outside? That is my only concern is that we are putting these in places where it gets HOT and COLD

Outside I couldn't tell ya....I saw you mention warehouses though, and we have some at one client which is a jet engine production facility. Including one in a large shipping bay area of that client, while not "outdoors"..it's still susceptible to variables like hot 'n cold 'n damp.

My experience with production plants...those steel buildings with wicked high ceilings...it's not as dusty as you're think way up there in the roof rafters, which is where you usually put your wireless gear.

I've deployed the Cisco 1242AG series APs in several warehouse environments and they've been rock-solid. Both stand-alone and LWAPP managed. The 1240 series are supposed to be designed for warehouse environments, can take extreme hot/cold. As for outdoors, I'd recommend the 1300 series outdoor APs/Bridges. I've deployed dozens of those things and they, too, are rock-solid.

+1 for Cisco. Installed a few 1242s with POE and they are rock solid. I'd love to check out the 1252s which have N. You can also put a host of various antennas on them to get some pretty good range.

Pepwave would fit. I have had great luck with them. I couldn't use on last job due to cost had to go with ubnt but i like pepwave

Back