Aorus X570S Master - Does not fully shutdown, then fails to post after

irakandjii

n00b
I have a Aorus X570S Master that from time to time fails to post.

The failed shutdown is identifiable because the Corsair RAM LEDS remain lit. Pressing the onboard power button or the regular case button will not start the machine when it is in the state.
There are no POST Codes, the Post cod LEDS are not lit.
Windows reports no errors
The problem is intermittent, every 3-10 days, but frustrating non the less. I suspect a RMA is fruitless because of the random nature.
I have to disconnect the PSU, or sometimes reset the BIOS in order for it to start up.

If I reset the BIOS things improve for a time and then the problem returns.
The TPM settings were suspect I have set them to defaults, but noticed no difference.

Any suggestions on a cure? I really don't want to go through yet another MB upgrade.

CPU: X5950, Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600, GPU: EVGA RTX 3080ti, SSD: WD850
OS Windows 11 - Current release

PS: I have had issues with my Corsair peripherals, the RGB keyboard drew too much power so needed a dedicated USB port. I have no idea if this could be some form of USB or Corsair RGB problem.

Edited to include the PS

Last edited:
if you figure this out, let me know - for me (ASUS board, different CPU) it's always flipping a switch on a power strip to get it to shut off the rest of the way.

It posts after turning it back on 99.9% of the time though (once a half I'll get a RAM error). I've pulled the peripherals on mine - didn't change anything.

I have several systems based on this very board (some Aorus Extreme) but essentially the same. They POST very fast, like power on to desktop in under 10 seconds! Never had an issue. One even has the same memory!

cpufrost thanks for the reply
I have tried it with a plain "old school" Microsoft mouse and keyboard. It behaved the same. You reminded me of one other symptom. Once the system begins to boot I cannot access the BIOS immediately. It takes a few tries, the USB does not recognize the USB until after Windows has booted a couple of times. I thought it was the K100 drawing too much power so tried the "old school stuff", that's when I learned it made no difference.

I thought it my be a Windows thing, but I no longer have a lot of knowledge on the Microsoft boot sequence, so I have no idea if it is a potential cause.

@Iopoetve interesting. My PSU is a Corsair unit, we might have that in common???

cpufrost thanks for the reply
I have tried it with a plain "old school" Microsoft mouse and keyboard. It behaved the same. You reminded me of one other symptom. Once the system begins to boot I cannot access the BIOS immediately. It takes a few tries, the USB does not recognize the USB until after Windows has booted a couple of times. I thought it was the K100 drawing too much power so tried the "old school stuff", that's when I learned it made no difference.

I thought it my be a Windows thing, but I no longer have a lot of knowledge on the Microsoft boot sequence, so I have no idea if it is a potential cause.

@Iopoetve interesting. My PSU is a Corsair unit, we might have that in common???
Mine is an Asus Thor, but they may be the same manufacturer…. I’ve got a 1200 or 1600 in there. You?

I have the 1500AXi on the Aorus Master and EVGA 1600T2 (superflower) on the Aorus Extreme. Both systems don't have any issues with booting.
Speaking of Asus I also have a few Asus Zenith Alpha TR systems and those can have a strange issue with POST where no video is displayed and the OLED shows HDD error. Turns out that is caused by a missing signal on one of the CPU fan headers! Those systems are WC and have no fans but I had to connect one to stop that annoying issue. Interestingly enough it seemed to happen with the Quadro GPU but AMD FireGL was OK. Funny stuff. Well not funny when you spend tens of thousands of bucks on hardware and have to do all this!

I have the 1500AXi on the Aorus Master and EVGA 1600T2 (superflower) on the Aorus Extreme. Both systems don't have any issues with booting.
Speaking of Asus I also have a few Asus Zenith Alpha TR systems and those can have a strange issue with POST where no video is displayed and the OLED shows HDD error. Turns out that is caused by a missing signal on one of the CPU fan headers! Those systems are WC and have no fans but I had to connect one to stop that annoying issue. Interestingly enough it seemed to happen with the Quadro GPU but AMD FireGL was OK. Funny stuff. Well not funny when you spend tens of thousands of bucks on hardware and have to do all this!
AX1600i new last year.
Zepher yes the BIOS is current

The more I think about it, I suspect it is some sort of BIOS issue with the shutdown sequence. I sounds like it is very uncommon so I might have to just live with it for now.

Dang it just happened again. It is as if, the system goes into a sleep mode but cannot wake up. There may be an association with 5v dependent I/O.
I have multiple turn off PSU then try to restart , did not work
The cleared BIOS (even after clearing BIOS) would not restart.
Unplugged a USB Hub and it restarted on first try
I reorganized my USB connections and left the Hub out of my setup
... All was well for 3 days
Again multiple attempt to restart .. .
Disconnected HDMI for a second monitor I have
Restarted on first try ..

I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Does it do the same thing if you sleep the system instead of shutting it down?

pitingres I am not sure I will give it a try.

BIG potential breakthrough!

Now I am convinced it is a USB related issue:
Happened again this AM, if I disconnected USB KB&M I could power up. So clearly there is a connection to USB.

But, once windows 11 started, after a minute or so the system would abruptly shutdown (Immediate power off, no BSOD.. just no power).
  1. Disconnected USB then power on, in windows I noticed Razer Synapse was Updating, at ~70% done, abrupt shutdown. (repeatable problem)
  2. Checked Reddit, turns out another dude has similar problem with Razer, plus there is the low level razer bug where users can gain admin access (reported to Razer) ??? real low level coding there ???.
  3. Purged Razer from the system ( BTW needs more than an uninstall, Razer services remain, so ripped out razer directory)
Problem Gone for now ... I hope it lasts

well, that's definitely not my issue, since mine happens on a Ubuntu LiveCD even.

Back