Aorus X570 Master 1.2 Problems Posting, looping to F4

irakandjii

n00b
I have an Aorus x570 Master ver 1.2, bought 3rd qtr 2021. No overclock standard settings
BIOS: F36e, current as of posting
CPU: X5950
Memory: is QVL - CMW32GX4M2D3600C 64 gb, set to profile 1 for 3600. This has recently been installed to replace some g-skill memory that failed.
Video: is nVidia 3080 series
PSU: Brand new Corsair Ax1600i, replacing a power supply that failed.
I have changed the CMOS battery, double checked all connections, fresh install of windows

Symptoms
  1. Frequently on a cold start, yet randomly, the system does not boot into windows. The POST messages cycle up to F4 then pause and repeat. This does not stop.
  2. If I perform a shutdown, by holding down the start button or turning off the PSU, the system most likely restarts properly.
  3. I have not noticed the problem on a warm restart yet. This is where I would use the windows command to restart without turning off the power.
Anyone have an idea on what might be wrong and how to correct it?

I'd rule out the RAM failing to train first... which is what happens on cold boots but not on warm restarts.

Move the RAM back to stock (XMP off) and give it a go for a few days.

Edit: Did a quick check. F4 means recovery firmware is loaded.

I'm going to guess something it didn't like kicked it to the secondary BIOS. (Maybe the RAM as I mentioned above?)

Are both BIOSes running F36e or just one?

AFAIK on the X570 Master, there's a switch to lock the BIOS so it doesn't randomly jump to the backup. You could try that as well.

Last edited:
I'd rule out the RAM failing to train first... which is what happens on cold boots but not on warm restarts.

Move the RAM back to stock (XMP off) and give it a go for a few days.

Edit: Did a quick check. F4 means recovery firmware is loaded.

I'm going to guess something it didn't like kicked it to the secondary BIOS. (Maybe the RAM as I mentioned above?)

Are both BIOSes running F36e or just one?

AFAIK on the X570 Master, there's a switch to lock the BIOS so it doesn't randomly jump to the backup. You could try that as well.
Thank you this was very helpful, sometimes I can't see the forest due to the trees.

Turns out setting the bios selector switch to "main only" solved the problem.

Both bios's are F36e
It was always defaulting to the second bios, now it is on bios one.

Looks like there is something wonky in the process that decides to load the secondary bios and then something wrong in the handover causing the problem where if you leave the switch on the "auto select bios" position.

You're lucky you picked a Gigabyte board that actually has that BIOS selector switch... ;)

You're lucky you picked a Gigabyte board that actually has that BIOS selector switch... ;)
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. The problem is still there just less frequent. There is clearly something wrong with the BIOS sub-system and Gigabyte has not responded to my ticket. I guess my options are to use it and risk one day a complete failure or spend yet more money and purchase a competitors product.

I will do that tomorrow in the morning, too exasperated to do it now lol. I'll keep the post updated.

Back