Aorus x399 - crashed, then posting issues.

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
Something may have gone into the weeds hard...

1950x with Aorus x399, updated to F3g BIOS. Had set up windows and some work stuff, steam, and a couple games. I'd played with mapping the color to the temp and did a few runs with CPUz. Temps stayed well under the 50s. One thing that stuck me as odd was it showed as dual channel rather than quad, even though I had them in the even slots per the 1-4-1 guidelines.

Did a couple days of work and went to play a game - screen went dark. Did a hard reboot, and it went back into windows - stuttered, and locked. Hard reboot again, and it showed only the logo (I had the splash screen disabled) but no BIOS info. Tried a BIOS reset, and now no post screen. Argh. I did swap in a new power supply earlier today (that EVGA 1000g2 showed up) with the temporary 750W antec. Swapped them back just to be safe.

Don't laugh - it has a nvidia 210 video card. It spends most of its days running Linux. One of these days I'll get a real card for it.

Removed all the drives, all but a single stick of memory in DDR4-2-2a, and posted. It seems like it gets cough in a loop.

There are two red lights on the board. One is a steady red on the CPU, the other is a blink on the DRAM every other second or so.

What I do have are the BIOS codes. This smell like a RAM issue, or a messed up BIOS?

a8 - verify password if needed
a9 - BIOS setup is started
64 - CPU DXE initialization is started
38 - IOH PIE initialization
3e - PCH PEI initialization
83 - Researved for EOM use (OEM DXE initialization codes)
67 - CPU DXE initialization is started
82 - Researved for EOM use (OEM DXE initialization codes)
D1 - IOH initialization error
14 - Reserved
19 - Pre memory south bridge initialization started
15 - Pre memory north bridge initialization started
14 - Reserved
66 - CPU DXE initialization is started
c0 - Reserved
D3 - Some of the architectual protocals are not available
c1 - Reserved
65 - CPU DXE initialization is started
60 - DXE core is started
C9 - Reserved
67 - CPU DXE initialization is started
a6 - Detect and install all connected SCSI devices
87 - Researved for EOM use (OEM DXE initialization codes)
3e - PHC PEI initialization
3f - Reserved
D5 - no space for legacy rom initialization
92 - PCI bus initilisation is started
D1 - IOH initialization error
14 - Reserved
14 - Reserved
be - Reserved
c0 - Reserved
81 - Researved for EOM use (OEM DXE initialization codes)
C9 - Reserved
C4
f8
3e
8e
D5 - no space for legacy rom initialization
c0

https://i.imgur.com/gwr8VP9.jpg

Seems like a dead thread but, this is a know problem with this board. The bios gets corrupted. Check the Gigabyte forums., This happened to me.,

Seems like a dead thread but, this is a know problem with this board. The bios gets corrupted. Check the Gigabyte forums., This happened to me.,

I suspect that is what is going on. Chatting with them, they said to start the RMA process. Parts for the other two cluster nodes showed up, so will be able to swap components around this weekend to confirm the motherboard is the issue.

I had this happen two times (two boards) during my TR build.

GigaFail strikes again.

Same memory and CPU were migrated over to another board... so the issue was with the board. Will be doing the RMA this week, now that I know what component it was.

Back