Aorus X299 w/ 7820X and NVME/HDD detection

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been on the forums. I have been in contact with Gigabyte about the issue below, but what I can't seem to get out of them is an answer to my PCI lane question. I have followed the manual which indicates when I populate certain slows, sata ports XYZ become disabled.

So, we are talking about an x299 system with a 7820x and an Aorus x299 ultra gaming. I noticed that when I populate M.2 M2Q-32G, one of my SATA harddrives does not show up nor does the NVME drive that is populated in that M2Q-32G slot.

My system is setup as the following: I have my main boot drive as a Samsung 970 EVO NVME. I have three additional SATA SSDs (all three are Samsung SSD), a 2TB WD Black drive and a Samsung 950 pro that are being detected. With that said, I have another WD 1TB black in the system and a Samsung 970 Evo Plus drive that are not being detected. I know the drives work so that's not a problem. I moved some SATA cables around and nothing. This has led me to believe that I just don't have the PCI lanes available for these drives.

The NVME slot on the board that is troublesome is M2Q-32G which is the last slot, bottom right. What I have found is that when I remove the M.2 from M2Q-32G, my WD 1TB black harddrive will show up. When I put my NVME drive in M2Q-32G neither that particular NVME drive or my 1TB WD Black drive are usable drives.

Now I know some of that is repetitive, I just wanted to make sure we all understood what I am talking about. So Gigabyte has been on repeat with SATA port 4,5,6,7 being disabled when I populate M2Q-32G. I get it, no problem. I need all my drives, so that kind of sucks. The answer I am actually looking for is if I drop say a 7900X in with 44 lanes, does this problem go away?

Just a quick breakdown of my system:
Aorus X299 Ultra Gaming
Intel i7 7820X
EVGA RTX 2080TI FTW3
Asus Xonar sound card
Samsung 870 Evo m.2 nvme
Samsung 870 Evo plus m.2 nvme
(3) Samsung Evo 970 Sata SSD's
2TB WD Black HDD
1TB WD Black HDD
Windows 10 64-Bit

Thanks Everyone.

Chris

Did you try putting the nvme drive in the third nvme slot? If you use M2M and M2P you only lose sata port 0

Afaik, adding a CPU with more lanes wil only give you more lanes for the X16 slot's, not the nvme/sata which are limited by the chipset lanes, not the CPU ones.

Denpepe

Yes. So when I populate the third slot it disables my spin drives due to the slot being used which is expected. However, I do not detect the nvme drive in that slot. The nvme drive works fine if I put it in any of the other two slots, etc. It is very specific to that last slot where I run into issues. If I can get it working, I can probably do without the spin drive that isn't usable because of ports being disabled, but would love to still use it if possible. Thoughts?

What I meant with the third slot is the one you are not currently using. You only have 2 Nvme drives if I read correctly so just use the 2 remaining slots.

The way it's wired, it doesn't seem like you can do anything other than using an add in pci-e card (for more sata or pci-e devices). Buying a 7900x can help with the limitations of your pcie lanes but only with add in cards. I would suggest either buying bigger drives to consolidate.

Using the 1st with an m2 sata will disable 0. With pci-e it should work fine and cause no sata issues.
Using the 3rd m2 will disable the 4-7 sata's. It doesn't matter if it's an m2 or nvme according to the manual.

Your notes are a bit weird and don't seem to be accurate. Can you correct my notes as needed.

Aorus X299 Ultra Gaming
Intel i7 7820X
EVGA RTX 2080TI FTW3
Asus Xonar sound card (where does this reside?)

1x pcie nvme - Samsung 870 Evo m.2 nvme (I assume this is the 970) 1st
2x pcie nvme - this is shared with pci-ex4 PCIEX4_1 - Samsung 870 Evo plus m.2 nvme (I assume this is the 950) 2nd

You can only pick 1 of these 2
{3x pcie nvme - Samsung 970 Evo Plus
or
1TB WD Black HDD} on 4, 5, 6, or 7

(3) Samsung Evo 970 Sata SSD's (I assume these are 860 evo's?) 0, 1, 2 sata
2TB WD Black HDD 3 sata

Windows 10 64-Bit

You can't do anything about the 5th sata drive or pcie drive without an add in. Assuming you have lanes to use. Which you might not.

Reading the manual again.....

Last edited:
I will just have to use an addon card if I want to use them all. You are correct.

Right now:

M.2 slots 1 & 2 have a 970 EVO and the 950 Pro.

SATA Ports 1,2,3 - Samsung 960/970 EVO SSDS
SATA Ports 4/5 - 2 TB WD Black and 1TB WD Black

So my 970 EVO Plus is the odd man out at this point.

Now my Xonar is just below my RTX card. I don't have the manual in front of me to tell you exactly the slot name.

Sounds like I might just need say a 7900X or 9820X or something with more lanes.

i had a x299 aorus gaming 7 pro which is damn near the same board with like 3 different components. I also had weird issues with 2x m.2 drives When i used the top two the system worked. When i used the top and bottom the drives wouldnt show up at all in BIOS and when i used the middle and bottom slot windows would go into recovery.

It almost acted like it installed windows on both drives.

No matter what i did the second drive wouldnt show up in windows. I tried everything i possibly could to no avail. Eventually talking to Gigabyte Support since i think its a BIOS issue they said they couldnt replicate the issue and went through the paces and the repeated responses and eventually issued me a RMA. Not wanting to deal with RMA and getting the same board back or even a replacement since its likely a BIOS issue i declined and changed to a diff board.

In conjunction with this the board wouldnt use two m.2 slots on CPU lanes. It only allocates one m.2 slot CPU lanes and the other two are via PCH as well as they are seriously lacking the BIOS dept and with BIOS updates. Which also was an issue that further drove me away from gigabyte.

Back