Aorus FI32U - @ $950(USD} -- For Sale Now

PCM explains that there are some color gamut and QOL differences between the two, but without reviewing said the M32Q was an attractive offering.

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/32-inch-1440p-high-refresh-ips-panel-options/

Will be interested to see if m32u fares as well

Sure but it's honestly nothing to write home about. HardwareUnboxed reviewed both monitors and here's the color gamut he got for both monitors.

1627424931269.png

More importantly, here's the response time performance between the two:

1627424800110.png

The FI32Q is superior no doubt about that, but it costs significantly more. If the M32U can get as close to the FI32U as the Q version does while costing a lot less, we have a real winner.

Attachments

• 1627424743205.png
    1627424743205.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sure but it's honestly nothing to write home about. HardwareUnboxed reviewed both monitors and here's the color gamut he got for both monitors.

View attachment 379071

More importantly, here's the response time performance between the two:

View attachment 379070

The FI32Q is superior no doubt about that, but it costs significantly more. If the M32U can get as close to the FI32U as the Q version does while costing a lot less, we have a real winner.
Interesting. I'm guessing it's probably the same underlying hardware, but the F model is using a better binned panel from the manufacturer than the M one. If that's the case, I'd expect the margins of superiority between them to be somewhat variable with only the worst stat being guaranteed to be better on the F than the M models. (Because the worst stat is the one that'd pull it down into a lower quality bin.)

Anyone know how to diagnose whether lighting zones intended for HDR are becoming active in SDR mode? I'm thinking my problem is somehow related to the local dimming zone feature. While the above screenshots don't show what I'm seeing, this photo (taken from my phone) shows the problem. That bluish rainbow mess right center of the screen
It flickers on and off, depending upon the lighting in-game.
View attachment 377832
Regardless whether or not the variable backlight is enabled you're still dealing with an array of lights, so it could be that the one bank on that side of the monitor is having issues while the others are not. When the variable backlight is not in use the monitor just applies the same voltage across all the backlights for uniformity.

Regardless whether or not the variable backlight is enabled you're still dealing with an array of lights, so it could be that the one bank on that side of the monitor is having issues while the others are not. When the variable backlight is not in use the monitor just applies the same voltage across all the backlights for uniformity.

That's a bit of a shame, NEC was factory calibrating to reduce backlight non-uniformity at least as far back as the mid 2000's; with multizone addressable backlights doing the same for modern HDR LCDs doing so wouldn't need any extra hardware support like NEC needed for their old prograde displays.

Edit: This mades me feel sadder the more I think about it, since while an 8/16 zone backlight is more or less useless for anything beyond crappy fakeHDR; it should be plenty to to mitigate the worst/most common backlight problems of off brightness corners.

Last edited:
Well if you swap out your motherboard and it fixes your issue then we can be pretty certain that it's the MSI TRX40 Creator. Looks like we have 3 things in common the CPU, the motherboard and the Video card. So it should be one of the three. For some reason I can't see it being the CPU, and even though the monitor is connected to the GPU I have been relatively stable since I removed the USB cable from monitor to PC. That is why I am leaning motherboard and it's USB ports/devices.
So far it appears swapping out the motherboard from MSI to Asus has resolved the issue with the monitor. Still testing but a few ways I had of guaranteeing a lock or BSOD (changing refresh rates in the nvidia control panel) no longer lock the machine. Also a particular game would take about 2 minutes to load with the monitor connected, this is no longer the case. I'll let you know if I get another blue screen.

So far it appears swapping out the motherboard from MSI to Asus has resolved the issue with the monitor. Still testing but a few ways I had of guaranteeing a lock or BSOD (changing refresh rates in the nvidia control panel) no longer lock the machine. Also a particular game would take about 2 minutes to load with the monitor connected, this is no longer the case. I'll let you know if I get another blue screen.
Well that is good to know. I am kind of happy for you and kind of sad also about the news. I definitely won't be swapping the MB out. While I do have some issues it's not unusable for me. I haven't had a BSOD since my last posted one. Still I am running without the USB cable plugged in and at 120hz for my desktop. I still have the updated MSI bios to try. It's now out of beta and it has some fix for GPU re-bar support so maybe that'll fix it.

Well that is good to know. I am kind of happy for you and kind of sad also about the news. I definitely won't be swapping the MB out. While I do have some issues it's not unusable for me. I haven't had a BSOD since my last posted one. Still I am running without the USB cable plugged in and at 120hz for my desktop. I still have the updated MSI bios to try. It's now out of beta and it has some fix for GPU re-bar support so maybe that'll fix it.
Fortunately I gained a lot more than just the monitor not crashing. As a part of the swap I changed out to a heat sink that covers the entire threadripper die bring my temps down considerable (from 90 in cpu-z stress test to 65). I can also now run my memory at 3600 whereas I was stuck with 2666 with the old MB. However, I am giddy that the monitor now works as so far the FI32U has been an awesome monitor.

Any good UFO test pics of this monitor? How's the motion clarity vs good 1440p 240hz panels?

Any good UFO test pics of this monitor? How's the motion clarity vs good 1440p 240hz panels?
RTNGS is testing now. There's kind of a dearth of good technical reviews - but the monitor is fantastic.

I think that you would want to compare 32 vs 32 - and the pixel density of 4k 32 is fantastic. A 1440 32 only has 1080p 24 density (which bothered me). There is also the problem of pushing frames - my 3070 struggles to get 100 fps in games with good graphics. If you don't care about the graphics and want super fast motion - IDK. You'd have to make your own decisions on what to give up for what you gain.

I've had one issue in one game, but in all other respects I cannot complain. It's a great monitor

Perhaps RTNGS will answer the question in a few weeks

Been running with the monitor for 4 days and zero issues. There does appear to be an incompatibility issue between the FI32U monitor and the MSI Creator TRX40 motherboard.

Been running with the monitor for 4 days and zero issues. There does appear to be an incompatibility issue between the FI32U monitor and the MSI Creator TRX40 motherboard.
Been messaging with gigabyte support and basically they can't believe the monitor is the cause, I told them I got the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when the USB uplink port is connected and they are wanting me to test my CPU *sigh*. I keep telling them I basically don't have any issues since I disconnected the USB uplink port to motherboard cable but it's like those words are invisible to them lol.

Been messaging with gigabyte support and basically they can't believe the monitor is the cause, I told them I got the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when the USB uplink port is connected and they are wanting me to test my CPU *sigh*. I keep telling them I basically don't have any issues since I disconnected the USB uplink port to motherboard cable but it's like those words are invisible to them lol.
This is a weird enough issue that unless you can shiboleet your way to an engineer somehow getting any sort of resolution will probably be impossible.

I may have possibly found a solution. I was doing a google search on MSI and USB issues and came upon a known bug in some MSI motherboards and older USB Card readers. The bug seems to cause a communication failure for the device which sounds different than my problem but in a way the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION signals a problem with an outdated driver or firmware and maybe the USB just loses it's connection randomly when win10 polls the USB ports so it thinks the drivers are corrupt causing a BSOD. So it wouldn't hurt to try it since the fix is simply changing a couple of bios options. Under Advance and USB Configuration, Disable XHCI Hand-Off and set Legacy USB Support to auto. That's it. So I plug in the USB Uplink port, and so far no crashes and I have been switching between games at 4k 144hz HDR and non HDR games for the past 2 hours. Even did my old definitely will crash test and it didn't after a couple of tries. I am actually kind of shocked this seems to be working. Going to have to try it more over a couple of days to make sure, but so far so good. 🤞

Finally managed to get this one from German markets(I live in Finland).
First of all this is a NICE upgrade from 32" Qnix uhd3216r(60Hz). After 2-3h of usage I can say that I'm NOT going back to 60Hz. What picture profile settings have you found the most enjoyable to use?

Finally managed to get this one from German markets(I live in Finland).
First of all this is a NICE upgrade from 32" Qnix uhd3216r(60Hz). After 2-3h of usage I can say that I'm NOT going back to 60Hz. What picture profile settings have you found the most enjoyable to use?
I played with a few but I'm back to Standard

Based on the rtings measurements, seems to have the same 10ms input lag as the M28U. Disappointing. hopefully its a firmware bug as mine arrives next week.

Based on the rtings measurements, seems to have the same 10ms input lag as the M28U. Disappointing. hopefully its a firmware bug as mine arrives next week.

Lag on the M28U drops down to 7ms with VRR enabled. TFTC classifies less than 8ms of lag to be Class 1 so I don't see how 7ms would be a deal breaker. It's not the best sure, but it will not be noticeable in actual use.

1628366730834.png

1628366778382.png

So I couldn't find any real reviews, but I was up late last night and went on a shopping spree.

Ended up buying this monitor. I've been disappointed with a few 4K monitors I bought in the past, so I didn't want to cheap out.

This is not for my main rig (I run ultrawide) but it will be for my second desk to use on PS5. Should have it next week, I will do a video and take lots of pictures.

Attachments

• 1CBB4392-571F-4F5F-8BB5-92BD671166D9.png
    1CBB4392-571F-4F5F-8BB5-92BD671166D9.png
    702.9 KB · Views: 0
I ended up returning my FI32Us - both of them I received had white uniformity issues - yellowing in the corners. I can deal with backlight bleed issues over white uniformity any day. Didn't want to keep dealing with panel lottery for now so thought I'll just wait a bit longer to see what else comes out this year.

In regards to input lag I wasn't able to "feel" anything. Mouse movements felt pretty much instantaneous to me. It could just be that I'm not super sensitive to lag.

Surely this is a firmware issue. Gigabyte monitors have typically had great input lag
From the RTNGS report: 'it has slightly higher than usual input lag, especially when gaming at 60Hz'

... Who buys a 144hz monitor to game at 60hz?

Okay, so that review looks pretty good. A little disappointed with HDR performance, but that it to be expected with HDR400.

Overall, though, it's looking good. Definitely like that BFI works with VRR, that is hard to find. And there is really nothing else decent in the 32" range, so I think I made the right purchase.

Monitor should arrive on Thursday, will want to test out some PS5 and Blu-Rays and see how it does.

I wish the PG32UQX was equivalent to this in pixel response. Would have made it a keeper.

So I am doubting the lag results on the FI32U from RTings now because HUB measured lag on the M28U and got less than 1ms of lag. RTings gets 7ms but that's the result HUB gets if they factor in display refresh + response time. I have a feeling the lag on the FI32U is going to be a lot less than 13ms once HUB measures it, and the upcoming M32U should also have very low lag as well.

1628789647523.png

Last edited:
Interesting. I trust both sites, but I do enjoy the HUB editorials better.

My guess is the method which RTings is using to get their results. Their results are almost always higher than what HUB measures. On the CX, RTings get's around 6ms of lag while HUB gets less than 1ms. On the Acer X27 RTings got around 14ms while HUB gets 7ms. I'm just going to assume that the 13ms figure RTings is getting for the FI32U is on the high side and HUB will probably get a result that's at least half of that.

rtings measures are input lag+response time and some others stuff included i think like tftreview do;

As long as they are consistent, measuring lag when the pixel actually appears on the screen as the bodnar devices measure (lag + pixel draw) vs. measuring just lag (subtracting pixel draw time ) are both valid. I like seeing the total lag time, personally.

As long as they are consistent, measuring lag when the pixel actually appears on the screen as the bodnar devices measure (lag + pixel draw) vs. measuring just lag (subtracting pixel draw time ) are both valid. I like seeing the total lag time, personally.

I'm just pointing this out because people are making it seem like the M28U and FI32U have unplayable amounts of input lag and are not suited for any competitive gaming which is clearly not the case at all. Both of these monitors are going to be just as responsive as anything else out there. Of course most the claims about unplayable amounts of input lag came from Reddit so what was I expecting...

Imagine if they knew the early LCD screens had 50+ms response times and people gamed on them... They'd need to be wheeled into the psych ward!
Not to mention they ran at 60 Hz and the game itself might not have run at 60 fps in any consistent manner.

Now it's this weird arms race where you "need" to have 240+ Hz, run graphics on low so the game never drops a single frame, then spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing over frame capping, sync options and input lag. It's a lot about marketing pushing this narrative and people seeing high level players utilizing some 24" 1080p screen and then thinking this is what they must also use or else they are at a disadvantage.

Meanwhile a lot of people play these same games on console with more varying framerates, TVs with a ton of input lag, controllers that add some input lag etc and do just fine.

I'm not saying none of this matters and improving display performance is not good, just that there is a lot of unhealthy obsession about it. I swear people that have those frametime stats constantly running in the corner are always looking for those framedrops and probably would not even notice them if they did not have the statistics.

Last times I remember being bothered by input lag was playing on my KS8000 in HDR mode (35ms input lag, SDR at 21ms was fine to me) and before that when my HDMI was routed through my Denon receiver which added a ton of input lag. Still use the same receiver, it just never receives anything but optical signal for audio.

Well all I can say is this monitor is great for me. I don't notice input lag all that much. Maybe if I am really looking for it I might notice something, but I kind of doubt it and at that point I am not actually going to be playing the game, I am going to be playing a different game called find the input lag. I can tell this monitor is better in input lag than my old Dell 3014 but that is about it. IIRC the Dell 3014 was a 33ms vs this one which from what I read here in earlier posts is 14ms. I will never notice it anymore when gaming if 33ms didn't bother me before.

As far as the USB issues I was having. It definitely looks like a MSI USB issue and XHCI hand off. I have had 2 BSODs in the 10 days since my last post. And I couldn't reproduce the 2 BSODs I had. Not sure what happened there, but 2 different games (both pixel graphics 2d games Forgone and Hollow Knight) was the last thing that did it. I immediately tried them again when I rebooted and tried several times to reproduce the crash but couldn't do it. Since then haven't had any issues at all. I had one error with the new 3D Mark CPU benchmark but it resolved itself when I turned off HDR in windows and re-ran the test. It ran till it got to 4 threads then when initializing the screen, the monitor like disconnected itself from the PC. No input signal, I had to turn the monitor off then on again to get it back. Then I reran the tests with HDR off since that seemed to be the stumbling block and it ran fine till the end. So as far as I am concerned I think the problem is solved, or at least under 99% solved. I probably would have said 100% solved if not for those 2 BSODs from the 2d games that I can't reproduce.

Back