Aorus FI32U - @ $950(USD} -- For Sale Now

LOL you guys are so salty.

I said I'd be more than glad to test BFI + VRR if you can tell how to turn the damn thing on! The BFI setting is greyed out ffs. I got VRR to work but not sure why the Aim Stabilizer Sync and Black Equalizer (BFI) are greyed out.

473309_C9ceddT.jpg

I tried connecting the display with both DP & HDMI 2.1 - both show the Black Equalizer setting greyed out.

Meanwhile, I will test Stardew out. Although I don't think my RTX 3090 SLI system will be able to handle it.

I said I'd be more than glad to test BFI + VRR if you can tell how to turn the damn thing on! The BFI setting is greyed out ffs. I got VRR to work but not sure why the Aim Stabilizer Sync and Black Equalizer (BFI) are greyed out.

View attachment 371928

I tried connecting the display with both DP & HDMI 2.1 - both show the Black Equalizer setting greyed out.

Meanwhile, I will test Stardew out. Although I don't think my RTX 3090 SLI system will be able to handle it.

I just would like ab idea of PQ, brightness, conrtrast, black levels, colors

I just would like ab idea of PQ, brightness, conrtrast, black levels, colors

First we have to get PBP and internal speaker issues sorted.....then we need to see how good its black coffee making feature is. Can it fill four expresso cups at once like the PG32UQX?

Then maybe we will get around to those secondary items of minimal importance.

First we have to get PBP and internal speaker issues sorted.....then we need to see how good its black coffee making feature is. Can it fill four expresso cups at once like the PG32UQX?

Then maybe we will get around to those secondary items of minimal importance.
Hahaha

View attachment 371928

Try if running the display at 120 Hz changes things. Maybe it does not work together with DSC or something.

Gigabyte for inexplicable reasons has not uploaded the manual on their website in English so I tried reading it in French which I've studied like well over a decade ago in school.

According to the manual it seems Aim Stabilizer Sync does not work at refresh rates under 100 Hz. So 100-144 Hz should enable it. Adaptive Sync on/off might also have an effect even though the marketing material says it should work at the same time.

Also the manual says that both DP/USB-C and HDMI should support up to 3840x2160 @ 144 Hz. Doesn't say anything about chroma subsampling tho.

Interestingly the image settings also have a Local Dimming option but I guess that might work similar to some displays where it does not have any dimming zones but will change the brightness of the screen anyway based on on-screen content.

Last edited:
Now for the most important question in the thread so far :
Does the text smear while scrolling vertically on [H]ardforum in dark mode?
People need to know..

Yeah it shouldn’t - there is a little bit of a slower pixel response on the Asus 32” mini LED monitor visible in the ufo test compared to the faster ips panels, so I was curious about this monitor by comparison.
I suppose the dark smear that’s easy to spot on VA panels won’t be obvious here without doing something more thorough like the ufo test or chase cam tests.

Last edited:
I've been away from my PC this weekend, haven't had much time to play around with it. Just played a couple rounds of BF:V to give it a decent workout.

You can enable BFI + VRR at the same time. When BFI is enabled brightness control is locked out on the display and is set at level 50. This is over DisplayPort.

There is an sRGB preset in the monitor - you can't enable BFI when in this mode. I have mine in the Custom 1 preset and set up to my liking.

No smear to my eyes when scrolling text.

I've been away from my PC this weekend, haven't had much time to play around with it. Just played a couple rounds of BF:V to give it a decent workout.

You can enable BFI + VRR at the same time. When BFI is enabled brightness control is locked out on the display and is set at level 50. This is over DisplayPort.

There is an sRGB preset in the monitor - you can't enable BFI when in this mode. I have mine in the Custom 1 preset and set up to my liking.

How bad is the HDR?

THANK YOU!!!!!

How bad is the HDR?

I tried Mass Effect 1 Legendary Edition just now and didn't really see a huge difference with it enabled or disabled. I've been using a LG 32GK850F 32" 1440p VA display for the past few years. I'll say the HDR implementation here seems better than on that display. On the LG everything orange / red was way over exaggerated. Here the color is more uniform.

Also, when HDR is on you can't enable BFI.

Wow okay! So I had it on sRGB mode this whole time. Put it on Standard and now BFI + VRR works. However, can you (or anyone else) explain the supposed benefit of running BFI + VRR? Also, what setting should BFI be in optimally? It defaults to 10 - I set it at 12.

How bad is the HDR?

HDR on this monitor looks pretty good - in DOOM Eternal and BF1.

That is not uncommon. Many reviews of other monitors mention the same

Yup, had to turn HDR off to enable BFI.

Overall this monitor's image quality seems way worse than an OLED monitor's. Gameplay is amazing in DOOM Eternal with HDR and ray-tracing + HDR in 4K 144Hz. I've yet to see (perceptibly) the benefit of running BFI + VRR so I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about.

Wow okay! So I had it on sRGB mode this whole time. Put it on Standard and now BFI + VRR works. However, can you (or anyone else) explain the supposed benefit of running BFI + VRR? Also, what setting should BFI be in optimally? It defaults to 10 - I set it at 12.

HDR on this monitor looks pretty good - in DOOM Eternal and BF1.

Yup, had to turn HDR off to enable BFI.

Overall this monitor's image quality seems way worse than an OLED monitor's. Gameplay is amazing in DOOM Eternal with HDR and ray-tracing + HDR in 4K 144Hz. I've yet to see (perceptibly) the benefit of running BFI + VRR so I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about.
The Hookerablowablooo is about motion clarity. BFI helps jump the hurdle of sample & hold limitations and achieve near CRT like levels of motion clarity. Combined with VRR the immersion breaking screen tearing is eleminated....thus giving the best of all worlds....4k crispness paired with CRT like motion clarity without the drawbacks of screen tear. That is why its a big deal if done well....Older SDR games like BF4 and Counter Strike would be total tits on it.

If you like HDR 4k144 then may I suggest you throw away both your oleds and pick up the PG32UQX, which not only produces a far superior sizzling 1600 nits HDR....but also dispenses a mighty fine double expresso steamed oat milk latte!

The Hookerablowablooo is about motion clarity. BFI helps jump the hurdle of sample & hold limitations and achieve near CRT like levels of motion clarity. Combined with VRR the immersion breaking screen tearing is eleminated....thus giving the best of all worlds....4k crispness paired with CRT like motion clarity without the drawbacks of screen tear. That is why its a big deal if done well....Older SDR games like BF4 and Counter Strike would be total tits on it.

If you like HDR 4k144 then may I suggest you throw away both your oleds and pick up the PG32UQX, which not only produces a far superior sizzling 1600 nits HDR....but also dispenses a mighty fine double expresso steamed oat milk latte!
Hmm.. that is quite interesting. I will definitely have to test this out more.

Here's the weird thing though - with BFI + VRR (all other settings in game the same), in DOOM Eternal, the FPS dropped from a constant > 120fps to like 70 - 90fps (sometimes even lower). HDR was off. Is that normal? Does having BFI + VRR cause FPS to drop like that?

Also, need to figure out the correct brightness/contrast levels for this display. Have it currently on "Standard" picture mode and BFI at 12 (default is 10).

Will look at getting the PG32UQX. Why are you getting the FI32U if you already have the Asus display? Just for BFI + VRR?

Hmm.. that is quite interesting. I will definitely have to test this out more.

Here's the weird thing though - with BFI + VRR (all other settings in game the same), in DOOM Eternal, the FPS dropped from a constant > 120fps to like 70 - 90fps (sometimes even lower). HDR was off. Is that normal? Does having BFI + VRR cause FPS to drop like that?

Also, need to figure out the correct brightness/contrast levels for this display. Have it currently on "Standard" picture mode and BFI at 12 (default is 10).

Will look at getting the PG32UQX. Why are you getting the FI32U if you already have the Asus display? Just for BFI + VRR?

I think you may be confusing the "Black Equalizer" feature with BFI. Black Equalizer is a visual thing - it's used to modify black levels. They claim you can get advantage in gaming by turning it up - like see enemies in dark corners that you wouldn't normally be able to see, etc.

"BLACK EQUALIZER - The Black Equalizer deepens the details of the dark side on the scene without affecting other display areas. Enabling this feature to reveal all of your hidden enemies!"

In the monitor "Aim Stabilizer Sync" = BFI (Black Frame Insertion)

To have both BFI and VRR you would want to see "Aim Stabilizer Sync" On and "Adaptive Sync" On in the monitor's OSD.

I think you may be confusing the "Black Equalizer" feature with BFI. Black Equalizer is a visual thing - it's used to modify black levels. They claim you can get advantage in gaming by turning it up - like see enemies in dark corners that you wouldn't normally be able to see, etc.

"BLACK EQUALIZER - The Black Equalizer deepens the details of the dark side on the scene without affecting other display areas. Enabling this feature to reveal all of your hidden enemies!"

In the monitor "Aim Stabilizer Sync" = BFI (Black Frame Insertion)

To have both BFI and VRR you would want to see "Aim Stabilizer Sync" On and "Adaptive Sync" On in the monitor's OSD.
Okay, thank you for that info. I feel sheepish; I did confuse the Black Equalizer with the BFI. I was able to turn BFI "ON" with HDR set to 'ON' as well - you mentioned above that this was not possible?

Can you also suggest what settings (i.e. Picture Mode to use and what Brightness/Contrast) should be applied for the best picture?

Also, what is the "Advanced Contrast" setting? It's at '0' by default - I put it to '2' and the desktop looks amazing (not that that is a 'test' but the picture looks a lot better to my eyes).

And then, what is Overdrive? I put that to 'Picture Quality" - should this setting remain off?

Here's my current setting with BFI + VRR:

Mku0mNN.jpg

Just to be clear:

1.) Can we use HDR with BFI + VRR? It let me turn BFI on with HDR on in the OSD

2.) What are the best Picture Mode & Settings to use (brightness/contrast etc.)?

3.) What is Overdrive and what does it do? Is it worth turning on for gaming?

4.) Settings like Advanced Contrast etc. - worth turning on/fiddling with?

Okay, thank you for that info. I feel sheepish; I did confuse the Black Equalizer with the BFI. I was able to turn BFI "ON" with HDR set to 'ON' as well - you mentioned above that this was not possible?

Can you also suggest what settings (i.e. Picture Mode to use and what Brightness/Contrast) should be applied for the best picture?

Also, what is the "Advanced Contrast" setting? It's at '0' by default - I put it to '2' and the desktop looks amazing (not that that is a 'test' but the picture looks a lot better to my eyes).

And then, what is Overdrive? I put that to 'Picture Quality" - should this setting remain off?

Here's my current setting with BFI + VRR:

View attachment 372274

Just to be clear:

1.) Can we use HDR with BFI + VRR? It let me turn BFI on with HDR on in the OSD

2.) What are the best Picture Mode & Settings to use (brightness/contrast etc.)?

3.) What is Overdrive and what does it do? Is it worth turning on for gaming?

4.) Settings like Advanced Contrast etc. - worth turning on/fiddling with?

1) I'm not able to enable Aim Stabilizer Sync when HDR is on. Make sure the picture mode says "HDR 400" or one of the other HDR presets. In your photo you're currently on the "Custom 1" preset which is a non-HDR mode. You can test this by going to display settings in Windows and toggling HDR on. This will turn on HDR on the monitor. When this is on Aim Stabilizer Sync and Black Equalizer are disabled for me.

2) If you're not doing color critical work it's personal preference really. Right now I have mine set to around 35 brightness. I raise it during the day when there's more light coming in. I left contrast at 50. Some people like colors to be more saturated while others like them more uniform. Really just a matter of playing around with the settings and making it look good to you IMO.

3) Worth using, yes. Good article here: https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-overdrive-on-a-monitor/. To my eyes the "Picture Quality" preset looks the best. The other options seem very aggressive.

4) I haven't made any changes here yet

Hmm so either this or upcoming Acer XB323QK. Will be interesting to see if the Acer is worth the extra $300-400.

1) I'm not able to enable Aim Stabilizer Sync when HDR is on. Make sure the picture mode says "HDR 400" or one of the other HDR presets. In your photo you're currently on the "Custom 1" preset which is a non-HDR mode. You can test this by going to display settings in Windows and toggling HDR on. This will turn on HDR on the monitor. When this is on Aim Stabilizer Sync and Black Equalizer are disabled for me.

2) If you're not doing color critical work it's personal preference really. Right now I have mine set to around 35 brightness. I raise it during the day when there's more light coming in. I left contrast at 50. Some people like colors to be more saturated while others like them more uniform. Really just a matter of playing around with the settings and making it look good to you IMO.

3) Worth using, yes. Good article here: https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-overdrive-on-a-monitor/. To my eyes the "Picture Quality" preset looks the best. The other options seem very aggressive.

4) I haven't made any changes here yet

You are absolutely right - I turned HDR on in Windows and the monitor now shows HDR modes (HDR 400, HDR Game, and HDR Movie) - BFI and Black Equalizer are indeed greyed out!

gou0z6S.jpg

I guess what's confusing to me is I had it in sRGB mode earlier, played DOOM Eternal and turned HDR on in the game and it looked like HDR was working? Was that not the case? Does HDR need to be turned on in Windows Settings for it to work properly? This is my first stab at using HDR (although I had the first 4K 144Hz Asus PG27UQ back in 2018 but never used HDR back then). If I didn't have HDR turned on in Windows and the Aorus monitor was set to sRGB mode, how did HDR work in games like DOOM Eternal and BF1?

Also, just installed Win 11 Pro this evening - looks amazing so far:

VoHv3LY.jpg

Last edited:
I guess what's confusing to me is I had it in sRGB mode earlier, played DOOM Eternal and turned HDR on in the game and it looked like HDR was working? Was that not the case? Does HDR need to be turned on in Windows Settings for it to work properly? This is my first stab at using HDR (although I had the first 4K 144Hz Asus PG27UQ back in 2018 but never used HDR back then). If I didn't have HDR turned on in Windows and the Aorus monitor was set to sRGB mode, how did HDR work in games like DOOM Eternal and BF1?
Games often don't respect the Windows HDR setting and allow it to be turned on/off separately. It's usually the better option when most non-OLED displays look like crap on the desktop with HDR enabled.

If you have a LG CX/C1 you can also test BFI on that to better experience the effect. It's the OLED Motion option deep in the Picture menu. LG is one of the few that allows HDR + BFI because they don't use backlight strobing but you quickly see why it's usually not allowed: It kills HDR highlights to the point that it looks like you are running in SDR. Basically the intent of BFI is to improve clarity in motion by breaking the sample and hold behavior of displays vs how our eyes work. BFI can be especially helpful in fast paced games like Doom Eternal but personally I leave it off in most games.

Baasha Surround doesn't work with non-native resolutions, just FYI. Never has, as far as I'm aware.

This thing is also great for productivity purposes. 120hz just in regular Windows usage is a big improvement. I've been using a 32" 4K 60hz display for a long time now as my primary work monitor. Hooked this update today and now wondering how I can go back :)

Games often don't respect the Windows HDR setting and allow it to be turned on/off separately. It's usually the better option when most non-OLED displays look like crap on the desktop with HDR enabled.

If you have a LG CX/C1 you can also test BFI on that to better experience the effect. It's the OLED Motion option deep in the Picture menu. LG is one of the few that allows HDR + BFI because they don't use backlight strobing but you quickly see why it's usually not allowed: It kills HDR highlights to the point that it looks like you are running in SDR. Basically the intent of BFI is to improve clarity in motion by breaking the sample and hold behavior of displays vs how our eyes work. BFI can be especially helpful in fast paced games like Doom Eternal but personally I leave it off in most games.

I see. Okay so I turned HDR off in Windows and will just use it in games that support it.

My OLED display is not the CX, it's the Alienware AW5520QF - does that have a BFI or BFI-type setting?

I played some BF4 last night with BFI + VRR on the Aorus FI32U - it looks great and feels great but it's hard for me to feel a perceptible difference when compared to 4K 120FPS gameplay- both feel great. I'm so used to gaming on the 55" Alienware that the 32" feels tiny. I guess it's a matter of getting used to.

Baasha Surround doesn't work with non-native resolutions, just FYI. Never has, as far as I'm aware.

Yes, but that's why PBP mode should have bifurcated the display into two tiles. When I had the Dell 8K monitor (UP3218K) back in 2017, it was two tiles of 3840x2160 - that's why it needed 2x DP cables to run 8K 60Hz. This Aorus FI32U should have ideally split the UHD resolution into two tiles of 1920x2160 so that when trying to run "Surround," the "surround resolution" should have been 3840x2160. Instead it split it into two UHD tiles which is straight up worthless, even for productivity since the image is distorted.

I'm sure there's a monitor out there that can do that properly. Would have been fun to finally run all DX11 games in 3090 SLI. Oh well... :rolleyes:

I see. Okay so I turned HDR off in Windows and will just use it in games that support it.

My OLED display is not the CX, it's the Alienware AW5520QF - does that have a BFI or BFI-type setting?

I played some BF4 last night with BFI + VRR on the Aorus FI32U - it looks great and feels great but it's hard for me to feel a perceptible difference when compared to 4K 120FPS gameplay- both feel great. I'm so used to gaming on the 55" Alienware that the 32" feels tiny. I guess it's a matter of getting used to.
The Alienware does not have BFI afaik. With BFI you should mainly notice that things in motion stay in focus better.

sure there's a monitor out there that can do that properly.
I'm still not understanding why you are trying to do this in the first place. From what I can understand, you want the monitor to split the image into two separate 1920x2160 tiles and then use software to stich the images back together into a simulcrum of a standard 4k image?

What does this get you?

I'm still not understanding why you are trying to do this in the first place. From what I can understand, you want the monitor to split the image into two separate 1920x2160 tiles and then use software to stich the images back together into a simulcrum of a standard 4k image?

What does this get you?
He's running an SLI setup so I think what he's trying to do it render two different 4k images (one on each card), which is more efficient than having the two cards trying to render one 8k image (one card will bear the brunt of that as SLI doesn't evenly split the workload when rendering one image).

He's running an SLI setup so I think what he's trying to do it render two different 4k images (one on each card), which is more efficient than having the two cards trying to render one 8k image (one card will bear the brunt of that as SLI doesn't evenly split the workload when rendering one image).
I can see that on the gpu end - but there has to be some induction of processing delay somewhere to stich the images back together (one would think)?

This is literally the stupidest thing to do that I have heard all week. I have never heard of Pron viewing being so tasking as to need to divide the
GPU load!

I got mine today and am running into the EXACT SAME ISSUES BAAASHA WAS HAVING!

I installed my spare 3090 onto it and NOTHING happened......
1625616851029.png

I WAS SO FURIOUS I CALLED BOTH EVGA AND GIGABYTE TECH SUPPORT!!!
I feel so stupid as EVGA told me that I have to take the plastic bag OFF the 3090 before installation!
1625616928638.png

So I did that AND STILL NOTHING IS HAPPENING! At this point I have narrowed it down to Gigabyte.....Stupid Gigabyte!

BAAASHA HOW DID YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM???? THIS MONITOR SUCKS, IT DOES NOTHING LIKE A BOX!!!!!

l88bastard you need to c-clamp the gpu to the box. Clearly it's a weak connection issue
Thanks Ill try that!

I just spent another FOUR HOURs on the phone with Bill Gates personal gardener and he was able to point out that I forgot to install the memory and CPU....so I did that.....and after an hour of trouble shooting I realized that the 5900x doesnt have an integrated GPU....sooooo I have to find another place to install the 3090 cause I have the processor there where it was and installing that processor was a real bitch!
1625622279149.png

What does this get you?

It's the only way to get 3090 SLI to work in DX11 games. Nvidia clamped down hard on trying to get SLI to work with DX11 titles and the only way to circumvent that was to use Surround. Of course, using Surround usually means multiple monitors at a much higher resolution (i.e. 7680x2160) which is more taxing on the GPUs so it ends up being pointless.

I want to run 4K (3840x2160) with 3090 SLI. Ergo why I wanted two tiles of 1920x2160 to "stitch" them together in Surround.

It looks like that is a no go at this point.

l88bastard didn't you realize you have to tape the GPU to the SIDE of the box and not the top? you must be new to PC gaming.

Finally got the monitor and set it up. Have to say I like it. Certainly better than my Dell 3014. Windows scaling seems to working on everything even though I turned it off. Some things I'd rather it not scale, but it seems to anyway. Gaming is definitely better with VRR and HDR is good enough for me. I have a Sony 900F and I think it's HDR is better when comparing HDR videos. Overall at $900 this was definitely worth the money if you are coming up from any lower resolution 60hz monitor. No dead pixels or stuck on pixels so it's a keeper. :) Still have a lot to test out.

Back