AOPEN motherboard sound problem in Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

Rampage1329

[H]ard|Gawd
A few weeks ago I was given the task of finding out why their wasn't sound output in win 2003 EE. The sound is onboard, and the first thing I assumed was that their was a physical error.

This system runs on a P4 mobo, and I replaced the mobo with a spare one we had. Before replacing it, I checked the sound because it was installed in a winxp box that isn't deployed so I know that the hardware is running. I've checked to make sure windows audio has been started in services, and that their wasn't any volume issues.

To save the suspense, this needs audio to work because it controls the music on hold player. I' ve used speakers to test the audio out with a cd, and ideally a 3.5 mm jack would be plugged into the sound card spliced into an RJ11 jack. Please assume, I've done the necessary updates to BIOS and drivers.

Stupid question but have you enabled sound in windows server? By default it is disabled.

Edit:

I should have mentioned how to turn it on.

go to start, Run and then type services.msc

I want to say the service is called windows audio. You need to set it to automatic and start it.

You may also need to enable direct x for the audio to work.

Right click on your desktop somewhere and select Properties. Click on the Settings tab, then Advanced and then Troubleshooting. Move the slider all the way to the right to Full, and click ok. Next go to start run and type in dxdiag. Under here you can drag the sound slider to full under the sound acceleration under the sound tab. You may want to download the newest direct x right from ms for this as well.

Yes, and there are no stupid questions. I anticipate this to be a stupid problem, and something i overlooked. All of the symptoms suggest to me that is hardware related but since sound worked in the xp installation, and not in the server I'm sort of lost. I know this has worked before.

Rampage1329 said:
Yes, and there are no stupid questions. I anticipate this to be a stupid problem, and something i overlooked. All of the symptoms suggest to me that is hardware related but since sound worked in the xp installation, and not in the server I'm sort of lost. I know this has worked before.

Check my edit of the above post to make sure you have done all of that.

thanks for the quick response, I read the edited post and none of that is working. I'm tempted to move the mobo back into the xp box and see if it still works, maybe thier is something in the case thats jacking this around. I'm not sure if a bad psu could cause this, but i haven't ruled it out. I have also tried plugging in a soundblaster pci ensoniq. The drivers messed up during the installation, but it was able to play music and then it stopped playing altogether.

Tried upgrading directx yet? Also the card shows up under the device manager right? I would upgrade directx and then uninstall the audio drivers and try to reload them. After that check the dxdiag again.

Back