AOL Mulls Breakup, Then Merger with Yahoo

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by MajorDomo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MajorDomo

MajorDomo [H]ard as it Gets

The one time Internet giant AOL , is reported to be exploring a split off of its dial up internet and display advertising services. The internet business will be sold off and the remaining holdings will be merged with Yahoo. Once known as the world’s largest online community, AOL has suffered loss of membership to faster broadband ISP carriers.

2. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

Waaaait... AOL never went broadband? Hahahaha oh lawd.

3. 450

450 [H]ard as it Gets

I hated AOL's broadband service because it wasn't Always On. You'd have to login just like you would with dial up and keep AOL running in the background. This wouldn't be as big of a deal nowadays, but back then I only had 512MB RAM.

4. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

The amazing thing is how they even made it this far.

5. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

They had some deal with Time Warner Cable for broadband (it might have still been Adelphia then). You still had to log in to AOL though, which was weird.

6. 450

450 [H]ard as it Gets

Yeah it was Time Warner for the Cable side of AOL Broadband. I dont remember who handled their DSL operations.

7. Azhar

Azhar Fixing stupid since 1972

Roadrunner is AOL too. Quite popular around Kansas City. My older brother used to have to install the AOL software to install the login authenticator, but it's no longer required.

8. niconx

niconx 2[H]4U

Sunken ship merges with sinking ship?

9. iTYPE

iTYPE Limp Gawd

Yeah, dont keep up with this stuff but I woulda thunk theyd been extinct vwith the dinosaurs.

10. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

They used to annoy the crap out of me with all of their CD's...

I'm amazed they are still alive with dialup only.

Even my troglodyte parents got DSL a few years back. I don't know anyone who has a modem anymore, and haven't for YEARS.

I also did not know that AOL had a map service. I used to use MapQuest until Google maps was launched and I made the switch. Now I never use anything else.

11. p.i.m.p

p.i.m.p Gawd

AOL coasters for sale

or just chuck em at pigeons

12. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

The real question is who will step forward as the main provider of brittle plastic frisbees to our nation's children?

13. bigstusexy

bigstusexy 2[H]4U

Ahh you beat me to it!

14. Valset

Valset [H]ardness Supreme

hey quit trashing AOL. until they moved to CDs I didn't have to buy floppies at all :D

15. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

EFT.

16. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

17. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Ahh, I wish that were the case for me. I was living in Europe back in the days before CD's.

I bought a lot of floppies back then... :p

18. Dylan80

Dylan80 [H]ard|Gawd

AOL should of not been so douche and sold their company when they had the chance.

Now merging with Yahoo is just going to be like adding a $20 bilge pump to the Titanic. Shit is STILL going down LOL!

19. Dylan80

Dylan80 [H]ard|Gawd

Clipped: "AOL, has strengths in maps"

AOL Maps? MAPQUEST??!?! Wow, that's a lie. Mapquest is very, very weak.

That's why everyone says they end up at a deadend with mapquest, I heard that lots of times a few years ago.... I haven't heard the word mapquest AT ALL since that. Plus GoogleMaps being Free and much better, mapquest is very far from an AOL "strength"

AOL just quit, just leave the internet and cash out what's left of your winnings (if any)

20. Blazestorm

Blazestorm [H]ardness Supreme

I thought that was one of the "benefits" of Broadband... always-on connection and no need to login, it was just running :eek:

Apparently not..

21. Spectrum17

Spectrum17 Gawd

Did none of you read the article?

AOL is in better shape than you think. They have 2.4B in revenue, with 1B from dial-up, and 1.4B from ads. They also have 600M in cash, and almost no debt. Sounds like a pretty well run company to me, although the article did note that they are losing hundreds of thousands of dial-up customers every quarter, so they have to do something about that side of the business.

I was surprised that Earthlink is still around.

22. thefreeaccount

thefreeaccount Gawd

I know tons of older folks (mostly nuns/brothers) who still use the AOL client for their AOL email. Tried to get a few of them to switch to gmail, but they weren't interested.

23. 450

450 [H]ard as it Gets

If you get rid of AOL you still get to keep your AOL email.

24. az_max

az_max Gawd

I wish someone would sound the death knell at AOL so I can finally get my parents off of it and on to cricket or verizon wireless. My Dad refuses to move because of "all the tech support I get from them". Nevermind that it's AOL that's causing him to need tech support....

25. Ryokurin

Ryokurin [H]ardForum Junkie

Why? They are profitable in basically the same way that AOL's dialup division is profitable. Everything's paid for and the costs are largely fixed at this point so its basically is free money. Sure the amount of money is dropping but the only time they really started to lose it was when they tried city wide wifi and funded helio. I don't agree with them buying even more dialup customers to delay the inevitable, but hopefully it's to buy time for them to actually do something new that works.