AOE2 Online Multiplayer

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
A friend and I tried to play a game of Age of Empires 2 tonight but we couldnt get it to connect. We are both have cable internet and both of us are connected through a router. Will we have to bypass the router inorder to play or is there another way? Anyone able ot play AOE2 online behind a router? thanks

You'll have to forward ports on the router of the person who is being connected to.
Edit: I assume that in your scenario you are connecting directly to each other via IP? If not, what I said may not apply.

Well what would be the best way to do it? My IP for my ISP is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( i dont have it memorized ) but I have my cable modem pluged into my router and the router gives me the IP of 192.168.1.100. His computer is hooked up the same way on his end. I just opened Windows messenger and started a conversation with my friend and clicked on invite to play AOE2. I tried it this way because I didnt know what IP to put in a direct connect on the game. Obviously if you put in the 192.x.x.x IP address that wont work because its not a routeable address. But if i put in my IP address from the ISP, that wont work either will it?

I had the same problem when I used to play that. The only true cure was bypassing the router while playing AOE2. That's just the way it is, or was.

You have to set up a pass-through port in your router. When your friend tries to connect to you, he connects to your isp ip and the port you specified, then the router will send all traffic to that port to your computer.

Do all routers support these pass through ports? I dont recall seeing anything about that in the router menus. I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Gateway. I guess when I get home from work I will look. Does it matter what port number I use?

Back