AOC Agon AG352UCG

Bladestorm

[H]ard|Gawd
This monitor is now up for pre-order on Amazon, and as much as I want to get an ultrawide, I have some hesitations about pulling the trigger on this particular model. For those with VA panel experience, would I notice going from 144hz IPS to 100hz VA? How drastic of a change would that be?

For those with VA panel experience, would I notice going from 144hz IPS to 100hz VA? How drastic of a change would that be?

This is one of the most subjective things there is. If you play competitive games and such then 144+hz is where you want to stay. If you are a casual player 100Hz is more than fine. Only just recently did a single video card(Pascal X/1080 Ti) provide close to the max Refresh for 3440x1440 at 100Hz for the AAA games.

Recent benchmarks done by Joker & screenshot below:

upload_2017-3-16_8-46-57.png

I want to go ultra wide but feel like I should hold off until 144hz and hdr models come out +gsync

I want to go ultra wide but feel like I should hold off until 144hz and hdr models come out +gsync

I would suggest that in addition to official display port 1.4(required) & HDMI 2.1 implementation.

Last edited:
Pretty good for a VA panel. The lack of ULMB is what kills it for me.

before anyone thinks the Agon is a high end gaming screen, this is what a true gaming screen should look like in 2017. left: Samsung C24Fg70, right, Dell S2716DG:

C24FG70-blur.png

The difference is subtle judging by these pictures, ignoring the strobed modes. It's weird for the Samsung to have backlight strobing tied to "response time" setting, though.

With regard to motion clarity issues geok1ng mentioned above, I wouldn't go higher than 75 Hz on a VA panel due to the response times.

I wouldn't go higher than 75 Hz on a VA panel due to the response times.

there are quite a few VA panels over the last 4 years that behave better around 120Hz: the one on my seiki 39", eizo foris fg2421, predator Z35 and the C24Fg70. Choosing the proper overdrive settings matters, but as a rule of thumb, aim for 120Hz on VA panels.
back to topic, medium overdrive setting and 100Hz is the lesser evil on the agon 35.

Finally.
-Impressively low input lag.
-TFTcentral confirmed some slow transitions.
-lack of LMB mode hurts this panel. pursuit camera results are worst than 38UC99 at 75Hz.

gsync and price are the main selling features, definitively things are not looking good for the HP Omen 35, which uses the same panel and costs $400 more than the Agon.

the older and "smaller" 34" VA panel performed better, check the MX34VQ:

MX34VQ-blur.png

I canceled my pre-order after reading the reviews. I'm going to wait for something with specs equivalent to or better than my XB270HU, but in ultrawide flavor.

There are 3440x1440 monitors coming later this year at 144 Hz.

Those pictures are confirm my opinion that 120fps is right where things get completely negligible. I know I can't tell 120 from 165

I jumped and preordered one from Amazon rather than play the panel/backlight lottery with the Predator.

I got this monitor the other day, don't think I would suggest it to anyone.
Lots of flicker in gsync mode (granted I was playing neverwinter in windowed mode), doom3 look fine.
My major issue with it, depending on whats on the screen, it affects other areas with artifacts!
I used firefox at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php to create the following video, most effective against a grey background.
I seen something like this before on a cheep analog cable, I can only assume on digital that it "can't be the cable".
http://www.quickesthosting.com/~spirit/agon.mov
Other than those two issues, so far its night and day over my BENQ TN that from any angle changed gamma (even hardforums grey background look black at the top and grey on the bottom)
My LG IPS that I use for work, way better than this monitor, at almost everything except high refresh rate.
Photo of the AOC Agon in doom3: http://www.quickesthosting.com/~spirit/agon.jpg (all I have is an Iphone for pictures / video, sorry)
I will be retesting using oled 13 alienware laptop + amp + 1070 with gsync; I have a gut feeling the flickering is due to high dpc latency issue that I have with my computer.
I also want to confirm that Doom3 is just 'washed out' in that area of the game, and that it's not the monitor.

29ms from a G-sync screen? no way.....both TFTCentral and Pcmonitors independently tested it at around 5.5 - 6ms total lag. something must be up with Prad's testing methodology there

29ms from a G-sync screen? no way.....both TFTCentral and Pcmonitors independently tested it at around 5.5 - 6ms total lag. something must be up with Prad's testing methodology there

Sorry, my mistake. It says overall latency, rather than input so they mean the panel is kind of slow for gamers from their experience.

no, they are still listing 25.6ms for lag latency which is clearly not right

I got this monitor the other day, don't think I would suggest it to anyone.
Lots of flicker in gsync mode (granted I was playing neverwinter in windowed mode), doom3 look fine.
My major issue with it, depending on whats on the screen, it affects other areas with artifacts!
I used firefox at http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_tests.php to create the following video, most effective against a grey background.
I seen something like this before on a cheep analog cable, I can only assume on digital that it "can't be the cable".
http://www.quickesthosting.com/~spirit/agon.mov
Other than those two issues, so far its night and day over my BENQ TN that from any angle changed gamma (even hardforums grey background look black at the top and grey on the bottom)
My LG IPS that I use for work, way better than this monitor, at almost everything except high refresh rate.
Photo of the AOC Agon in doom3: http://www.quickesthosting.com/~spirit/agon.jpg (all I have is an Iphone for pictures / video, sorry)
I will be retesting using oled 13 alienware laptop + amp + 1070 with gsync; I have a gut feeling the flickering is due to high dpc latency issue that I have with my computer.
I also want to confirm that Doom3 is just 'washed out' in that area of the game, and that it's not the monitor.

The flickering is a issue with G-Sync and not a issue with the monitor. EVERY G-Sync monitor has flickering issues when looking at stationary objects and this is a limitation of the G-sync technology directly and not the panel. Here is the explanation:

"The guys at PC Perspective did a little sleuthing this week, and they've both confirmed the problem and identified its cause. Turns out the issue has to do with the way G-Sync handles "stalls" in game animation—that is, cases where the frame rate briefly dips to zero, as on some loading screens or when content loads in the background. G-Sync displays can't simply stop refreshing the image when that happens, so a failsafe measure kicks in:

Completely stopping the panel refresh would result in all TN pixels bleeding towards white, so G-Sync has a built-in failsafe to prevent this by forcing a redraw every ~33 msec. What you are seeing are the pixels intermittently bleeding towards white and periodically being pulled back down to the appropriate brightness by a scan.
PC Perspective measured this effect by taking continuous brightness readings in EVE Online with an Asus ROG Swift monitor. (In that game, the problem rears its head when the user snaps a screenshot.) What happens is basically a "very slight brightness variation," which the site neatly graphed over time.

So, is there a fix? Not really. PC Perspective says all of the variable-refresh displays it's tested exhibit the same problem to some degree, and Nvidia is chalking up the problem to the way LCD monitors work. "All LCD pixel values relax after refreshing," Nvidia told the site. "As a result, the brightness value that is set during the LCD's scanline update slowly relaxes until the next refresh."

If better LCD panels aren't the solution, then perhaps Nvidia simply needs to cook up a better algorithm for handling frame-rate stalls."

Source: http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

The bottom-line is that everyone can be waiting for forever for the "perfect" monitor, but it will likely not come for a LONG time until this technology is perfected. No matter how you slice it, the AOC Agon AG352UCG is the best value right now for anyone looking for a VA-paneled Ultrawide G-sync panel. I returned the $200 more expensive X34 just yesteray because the backlight bleed was atrocious for a $1000 monitor. Was going to pull the trigger on the HP Omen X35 when I found out that both the HP and the AOC use the EXACT SAME PANEL but the HP is $300 more. Granted, the HP looks a lot better and has a thinner bezel but that difference is not worth a $300 premium for me.

I pulled the trigger on the AOC this morning. With the Acer Predator Z35p coming out soon, I was considering waiting with the VA panel but again it's probably not worth the $200 premium for it for the same tech and 20hz additional refresh rate which I wouldn't notice anyway.

dsUAtsV.jpg

Source: http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/9ff014bdd

Was going to pull the trigger on the HP Omen X35 when I found out that both the HP and the AOC use the EXACT SAME PANEL but the HP is $300 more. Granted, the HP looks a lot better and has a thinner bezel but that difference is not worth a $300 premium for me.

I used to think like that a few weeks ago, but then:
- Omen was down to $970
-in depth review showed that the Omern has better overdrive settings and less motion blur than the Agon. Just read the omen thread [H]ere for comparisons.

The Omen definitely isn't worth the $300 premium over the AOC for most people. But if you catch it discounted on amazon like I did then it's well worth it.

There was a lot of disciplined testing done on the effects of refresh rate and perception for VR - 90hz+ is the magic number for a ultra fast display panel technology like OLED.
120hz is still better, but there is a very steep drop in perceptible differences after 90, i.e. 100 vs 120 should be minimal, except for actual poor panel refresh behavior like dark transitions tied to LCDs. On an OLED, with perfect transitions and black frame insertion (i.e. ULMB like behavior) 100 vs 120 vs 144 etc., should be minimal, but on LCDs, the panel type limitations have a lot to do with what we see as differences.

21:9/ultrawide is fucking crap. It's never going to be supported as well as 16:9.

Back