Anyways to change color of Vista Taskbar?

Right click>personalize>display options, the one on the bottom, I think. From there you can customize the color to just about any color, and I'm sure you can it to where it's almost white...

Not that it matters, in terms of a purchasing decision, but I like the fact that Vista can be customized so much.

Not that it matters, in terms of a purchasing decision, but I like the fact that Vista can be customized so much.

Yeah, They Really made it friendly to customize. No room for 3rd Party apps to create errors/performance issues

WHat the second poster said. Also drop the transperancy/opacity option to get that light white I think.

Good to hear. People using the beta versions of Vista said that you could pretty much customize everything save for the black taskbar. Not too sure why, but I just have never been a big fan of black for use in GUI elements. If someone has a moment, could they please post a screenie of what the tasbar and windows look like set to a silverish / white scheme like the above Windowblinds screenie? I have my copy of Vista Business 64 sitting here beside me but I am hesitant to install it until some of the bugs with the current apps I use have been resolved. Too bad its an upgrade edition, otherwise I would try installing it on my lappy in the meantime.

The only time the Taskbar will turn "black" in Vista is when you maximize a window, and so far I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to be any other color without using some third party tool, which I don't do. When windows are minimized or not full screen, the Taskbar takes on whatever color it's assigned in the interface colors you choose/chose, meaning it's using Aero's color scheme.

Since I'm stuck at a lower resolution right now (my SGI 1600SW is perfect for Vista with it's widescreen 1600x1024 resolution but I don't have a multilink adapter presently, ugh), making a window full screen is almost a necessity, especially the browser, so I just had to get used to it.

If anyone knows of a way to get around that, I'd sure love to know it since changing the color doesn't seem to be an option in any of the interface color choices.

Good to hear. People using the beta versions of Vista said that you could pretty much customize everything save for the black taskbar. Not too sure why, but I just have never been a big fan of black for use in GUI elements. If someone has a moment, could they please post a screenie of what the tasbar and windows look like set to a silverish / white scheme like the above Windowblinds screenie? I have my copy of Vista Business 64 sitting here beside me but I am hesitant to install it until some of the bugs with the current apps I use have been resolved. Too bad its an upgrade edition, otherwise I would try installing it on my lappy in the meantime.

You didn't hear this from me, but...

If you take that Vista Business x64 DVD and put it in, and you don't enter a key when asked for one... voila... you can pick any edition and it'll install clean, with no muss and no fuss... and you can check your hardware and application compatibility for up to 30 days... when you get your answers, hopefully good ones, then you can install it properly using the key and do a "normal" upgrade... :p

Back