anyway to upgrade klipsch 4.1 to 5.1 speakers?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
I was pondering this the other day and i've had my klipsch 4.1 400w speakers for a long time now and i still love them. they're still a good sounding speaker set and i dont want to spend 500 dollars on a new speaker system when these are perfectly fine. What i'm wondering is, if there is some way to upgrade the klipsch system to include a center speaker to take advantage of 5.1 surround sound instead of the 4.1 i've been using. I believe that my sound card has another speaker jack for center/subwoofer. Would it be as easy as just getting a center channel speaker and plugging it into that port on the back of the sound card and changing my speaker configuration to 5.1 in windows? seems easy enough... But it cant be that easy is it? Any suggestions?

Although that might work, the problems might be 1) the speaker will not be routed through the klipsch amp and will operate at different volumes, which can be corrected of course and 2) it might not properly upmix things from stero to surround.

If you have an extra mulimedia speaker handy, give it a try. I'd be interested to see if it works.

ehZn said:
Although that might work, the problems might be 1) the speaker will not be routed through the klipsch amp and will operate at different volumes, which can be corrected of course and 2) it might not properly upmix things from stero to surround.

If you have an extra mulimedia speaker handy, give it a try. I'd be interested to see if it works.

I think it would probably work... Maybe at a different volume though, but if the sound card has center/rear/front speaker outputs and i have the front and rear plugged in from the klipsch, it would seem that there should be no problems in the mixing for surround sound... Problem is, i dont have an extra speaker laying around, so i would have to spend some money to find out :) Anyone else have any experience with this?

Back