anyway to force vista to upgrade install over prior same version?

hypertek

Gawd
So my vista ultimate 64 has got corrupted, i can boot and load programs, but i cant open the control panel *it closes* and i cant access the "view installed updates" in the add/remove programs panel... Otherwise i would uninstall sp1 so i could try to reinstall with my dvd..

I have tried system restore and startup repair to repair some of my problems but those have not worked, and i read online that reinstalling vista as an "upgrade" should solve everything without loosing your data.

Is there any tricks to forcing it? vista wont let you do an upgrade install if your OS is newer than whats on the dvd..

Have you tried making a new DVD with all the service packs and updates slipstreamed? Of course this would mean using another computer since yours won't work, haha..

yeah i tried one with sp1 and it didnt give me the option to upgrade... I wonder if a slipstream sp2 might work.. ill have to look on the net.. im on the ocmputer right now as i can burn and stuff. Just crippled. thanks

You could always reformat, and install SP1 immediately after the install is complete.

ok I might just have to reformat.. i can take teh 250gb hdd i have in my ps3 and back everything up... question, is there a way i can copy everything from my hdd to the backup hdd, and then install fresh windows on my hdd, and move everything from the backup while having it transfer all teh files and installed programs so i wont have to reinstall everything??

i got like over 30gb used up for rfactor *racing simulatior with tons of downloaded content and configuration, i would hate to have to redownload and install each individual piece for it*

fawk it, i think ill dl the win 7 beta and see if it will install over this and correct my problems, all while ill just backup my current setup *ill have to squeze it down to fit the 250gb hdd* for safety..

Back