Anyway to buffer video/audio when streaming 1080p over wifi?

dhahlen

[H]ard|Gawd
I am using WMPHC and the PC can play 1080p just fine if the file is local or on an external drive. However, when playing 1080p, sometime during the movie, the audio will lose sync with the video. I am using wireless N, and it has a strong signal, but I think the minor drops in signal strength cause it to drop since 1080p content needs a relatively high amount of bandwidth.

I was curious if WMPHC or another media player, could buffer the video to prevent these drops from happening, or at least correct them before they occur. I'm eventually going to wire it in, I just haven't felt like patching and running wires through the house yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Go wired, preferably gigabit ethernet. Wireless, even 802.11n isn't worth it for streaming high def. There's too many factors that go into getting enough bandwidth and a stable enough signal. Walls, distance, emi/rfi, throughput, etc. It also varies from router to router, and what NIC you're using. It's not worth the hassle and cost.

Go wired, preferably gigabit ethernet. Wireless, even 802.11n isn't worth it for streaming high def. There's too many factors that go into getting enough bandwidth and a stable enough signal. Walls, distance, emi/rfi, throughput, etc. It also varies from router to router, and what NIC you're using. It's not worth the hassle and cost.

This.

Or if you can't run CAT5/6, but both locations have a Coax drop, look into a MoCA solution. I stream 1080p around my house with that method perfectly fine. PM me if you're interested.

Most of its already run, I just need to drop a patch panel in the audio closet and patch in the HTPC. It's a fair amount of work, which I do not have much time to dedicate at this moment. I generally rip 720p to stream over wifi, but I like to rip movies to 1080p for many reasons.

I have cat5e running all through the house, it seems it was done before I moved in, like I said, I just have to run a drop into the closet and path it all in.

Thanks for the mention on MoCA, I've looked into it briefly, I think patching in the cat5e cable will probably be the ideal solution for me at this given time.

While going wired is the best answer, is there no way to adjust the way 7MC buffers video?

This.

Or if you can't run CAT5/6, but both locations have a Coax drop, look into a MoCA solution. I stream 1080p around my house with that method perfectly fine. PM me if you're interested.

What do you think about MoCA vs the Powerline electrical kits?

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for my sister's house (since I'm afraid of using -N due to problems like the OP). The house is new but unfortunately they didn't wire it for ethernet... and they aren't particularly likely to wire it through three stories now anytime soon.

I have no experience with Powerline networking. I went with MoCA because I already have FiOS which uses MoCA so I was familair with it. Used Verizon branded Actiontec MI424WR routers can be had on Ebay for $25 and can be turned into Ethernet to MoCA bridges very easily. I put one in my house wherever there was a coax drop and I needed Ethernet connectivity. The MoCA spec allows for over 200Mbps, but since the routers themselves only have 10/100 switches, you are limited to 100Mbps. Plenty fast enough for even 2 1080p streams which I have done on numerous occasions.

I have used iPerf to test bandwidth between 3 floors and I get a steady 11MB/s between all the MoCA bridges. Pretty nice stuff and cheap as hell to buy. Best part? No running CAT5/6.

Sure its not Gigabit speeds, but its still plenty fast for streaming media without any reliability issues like you get with WiFi.

Waiting for FiOS to make its way to AZ, it's on the project list, but it could be a ways out. Buddy in Temecula has it, loved it.

Just to clarify for anyone else, you don't need FiOS to use MoCA in your house.

Thanks for the info on that and the routers; I'll have to check it out. Gigabit is nice but indeed overkill for movie streaming. Sounds like that might be the most cost-effective/easiest solution.

Gigabit isn't necessary, but it's very nice to have. It cuts down file transfer times immensely. Cat6 cable isn't any more expensive, and just a single good quality switch for your home would do the job. Skimping out on a job and going with obsolete/old technology isn't a good way to start things out, and you'll often find yourself running into more problems down the road when you wish you would have done something the right way to being with. If you're setting up a home to be networked, and especially for HD media, gigabit is your friend, especially in the case of multiple streams and large file transfers. =)

First off, not everyone can/is willing to wire their house with CAT5/6 after its built. Secondly, MoCA is hardly a "old' technology, in fact its brand new...

Don't get me wrong, if at all possible, standard Ethernet with CAT5/6 IS the way to go, but again, its not always possible.

No one is arguing against your idea, no need to defend it.

First off, not everyone can/is willing to wire their house with CAT5/6 after its built. Secondly, MoCA is hardly a "old' technology, in fact its brand new...

Don't get me wrong, if at all possible, standard Ethernet with CAT5/6 IS the way to go, but again, its not always possible.

No one is arguing against your idea, no need to defend it.

I think he was referring to Cat5 and non-gigabit switches being the old technology.

Correct. Criccio just gets riled up and confused sometimes. :p

^--I've had to take several of those back for clients due to overheating issues.. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Gigabit isn't necessary, but it's very nice to have. It cuts down file transfer times immensely. Cat6 cable isn't any more expensive, and just a single good quality switch for your home would do the job. Skimping out on a job and going with obsolete/old technology isn't a good way to start things out, and you'll often find yourself running into more problems down the road when you wish you would have done something the right way to being with. If you're setting up a home to be networked, and especially for HD media, gigabit is your friend, especially in the case of multiple streams and large file transfers. =)

I completely agree with you... which is why in MY place I have a gigabit switch and wiring to match :p (and I do notice and appreciate the difference when transferring large files across my network) And any house I own in the future will certainly have the same. But I know for my sister and her husband, they are happy with some craptastic g-band router at the moment... and they are unlikely to need anything beyond the ability to stream a single HD movie anytime in the foreseeable future.

Back