Anything Stiffer than Cherry Green..?

KazeoHin

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys.

I just upgraded to a Ducky Cherry Green keyboard and I love love LOVE the audible click and stiff(ish) keys. But I'm a pretty heavy typist, and I like a LOT of resistance. I don't want to type, I want to BATTLE WITH MY KEYBOARD. I slap the return key and spacebar with a hard THWACK and punch in acronyms like I'm playing a miniature game of whack-a-mole. This Ducky is amazing and a step in the right direction, but I want MORE. I was actually slightly disappointed when I first got the ducky out of its box and started typing, I actually had to remove a keycap to make sure I got the Cherry greens that I ordered. I had a suspicion that the retailer had shipped me an MX Blue instead. To a normal, non-oafish person, the difference is probably like night and day, but without immediately switching between the two, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between Blues and Greens. For all intents and purposes, the Ducky is AMAZING, and the resistance issue is more my ham-fisted nature: for what I bought it for it's a flawless keyboard. I'm thinking I need a freakish amount of resistance, like 100+g . Do such keyboards exist, and any as good as the Ducky brand?

The only cherry mx switch with more stiffness than the greens are the super blacks. 80cN vs 150cN. I have no idea if these switches are still made but if I remember correctly they were only used for the spacebar.

*For reference the blues vs greens are 50cN/80cN.

Last edited:
Cherry MX Super Blacks (150 cN) were indeed only used on certain keys to prevent accidental key presses, and not even the space bar of Cherry branded keyboards. You might not be able to find enough to populate an entire keyboard, because they went out of production in 2012.

After that, you're looking at several choices of 80 cN switches, including the Cherry MX Linear Grey, the Cherry MX Tactile Grey and the Cherry MX Green.

There is a third Grey variant, the Cherry MX Click Grey, that is 105 cN, but it is described as rare so you might not be able to find any.

Cherry MX Super Blacks (150 cN) were indeed only used on certain keys to prevent accidental key presses, and not even the space bar of Cherry branded keyboards. You might not be able to find enough to populate an entire keyboard, because they went out of production in 2012.

After that, you're looking at several choices of 80 cN switches, including the Cherry MX Linear Grey, the Cherry MX Tactile Grey and the Cherry MX Green.

There is a third Grey variant, the Cherry MX Click Grey, that is 105 cN, but it is described as rare so you might not be able to find any.

So its official: I have a problem.

I find that hard to believe, though. I've used membrane keyboards with (what feels like) more resistance than the Cherry Greens. I really want something to put my weight into. I can't possibly be the only one!

So its official: I have a problem.

I find that hard to believe, though. I've used membrane keyboards with (what feels like) more resistance than the Cherry Greens. I really want something to put my weight into. I can't possibly be the only one!

It only feels like more resistance because bottoming out a membrane keyboard gives a rubber resistance feedback. The greens are it for clicky keyboard and even those are pretty rare when it comes to common brands as most manufacturers tend to stick to Reds and Blues.

I have the same feeling about greens.... I wish they were stiffer.

If you are willing to do some work, aftermarket springs are available. I have been considering switching out the spring in my custom built green board with something aftermarket stiffer.

Jeez.. are your fingers made out of lead? I felt the blue were pretty stiff already

Are you referring to actuation force - the force required to register key press - or bottom out resistance, when the key is fulled depressed?

Early Gateron Yellow
had significant bottom out resistance, but they were fairly quickly replaced with the newer Gateron Yellow which is much lighter. It may be as difficult to find as Cherry MX Super Blacks at this point.

You completely overlooked what others already said in answer to your question.

Try Tactile greys.
I guarantee they will be perfect for you.
The reason greens are lighter than they suggest is because the resistance is almost fully in the tactile click bump, then it drops off (almost like a buckling spring effect) right after with the spring resistance being lower than the bump itself, until you reach the bottom out point.

tactile greys are MUCH meatier.
So try them instead of complaining that no switches fit your expectations.

There's ONE left in stock just waiting for you.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=981

The linear version (also called dark grey) is here but I don't think you want the linear version.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1104

Cherry MX Tactile Grey and Green switches both use 80g springs. They should certainly feel different, tactile vs clicky, but I can't imagine the Greys would feel appreciatively heavier.

Umm, correct me if I am wrong, but as per Cherry, there is Linera and there is Tactile, and "clicky" is Tactile. The same thing :D

Back