Anything comparable to Apple Cinema Display?

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
I am in the market for a 23-30" monitor and was curious if anything was comparable to the Apple Cinema Displays. I see them in the store and they look really nice and crisp. Don't do hardly any gaming, a lot of photography,graphics and movies. My brother has a 20" that seems pretty nice. I am currently using a VA2026w. Thanks in advance!

Is the Apple Cinema 23' a really nice monitor? Does the price really justify the price? Thanks!

Yes, it's a nice monitor, provided the power brick does not fail on you. No, the price does not justify the features or specifications. But it's one of the few remaining IPS panels that can be purchased new for under $1K, and it also has a very fine pixel pitch. Put togther another $300 and you can get a far superior (maybe best over all LCD) 24" NEC LCD2490wuxi. Or for about the same price, a 26" Planar or Doublesight with a H-IPS panel.

I would recommend the LCD2490WuXibk or LCD2490WuXiBk-SV version that has the included Spectraview II calibration software/hardware.

This will give you a great standard gamut monitor that probably outstrips the 23" Cinema in quality and faithful color reproduction.

The 23" is a very nice monitor (though I've seen some questionable examples quality-wise) but I think the NEC is in a class by itself.

If you would need high gamut/wide gamut the LCD2690WuxiBK-SV is also very good version. I have the LCD2690Wuxi-bk and purchased the SVii (spectraview II) kit separately. This kit is unique because it actually calibrates the monitor and not just your PC or Mac via .ICM profiles.

Either one would be excellent for Photoshop or movies, but I would give the LCD2490 the nod if you do not need wide gamut, and just need sRGB gamut coverage and super accurate colors.

Regards,

10e

!0e, I'm not really able to drop $1,200 on a monitor right now. I don't game much at all, a lot of web, movies and photoshop is all I use it for. I have a 20 inch VA2026w now that's not cutting it at 1680x1050 as I need more space! Any other recommendations? Also, I read that these Apple screens are a 3 year old technology? Thank you

All current apple monitors are end of life, it doesnt make sense to get one at this point in time(Dont mention SWOP certification, also they are not wide-gamut and do not support HDCP).

Go with the NEC 90 series, they are suited for the kind of stuff you are doing.

not in the 24inch range. Well wait, Dell did have back in the 2405 days a run where people were getting an LG S-IPS type panel. You best bet is going to be the DS 26" H-IPS panel.

not in the 24inch range. Well wait, Dell did have back in the 2405 days a run where people were getting an LG S-IPS type panel. You best bet is going to be the DS 26" H-IPS panel.

Not on a 2405 they were'nt. That was with the 2007wfp, 20" S-IPS or PVA.

So would you go with the DS or the NEC 2490? Cost vs. Performance?

For the hell of it, I picked up a Samsung 245BW @ Costco just to give it a whirl. It's not too bad but unsure how to calibrate it for a mac without buying things..

i am in the same position. I don't do photography, though. Just general purpose and programming.

I just bought an HP 2207h, but it just doesn't look right. I can't calibrate it correctly. My MacBook Pro LCD looks so much better.

I figure that an Apple Display will look great right out of the box since they are specifically made for Macs.

But I do worry about an updated model coming and all that.

A DS is wide Gamut and will not be like a mac display right out of the box. Your best bet is an NEC standard gamut panel: 2090Uxi/2490uxi.

Back