Anyone working as a senior network tech?

damarious25

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone. I recently got hired as a senior network tech. It's with an unfamiliar company and is a step up from my last job. In my last job I worked a similar role, but as part of a team, and I wasn't the team lead.

My question is, is there a standard or best practice when taking over a network? Even a silly checklist really? I have a good idea of what I want to do, but I don't want to miss anything no matter how small...
My plan of attack so far is to:
Ask for existing documentation
-Inventory (software and hardware)
-Topology charts (with subnets)
-Passwords
-Existing issues
-Existing routines (backups, updates)
-ISP details
-Current Disaster Recovery Plan
Walk around
-To double check topologies and note inventory differences and asset tag practices
Log on
-To servers and confirm AD setup and passwords
Test VPN from external connection
Look into security setup
Write my own detailed documentation

And that's just to scratch the surface. I want a better checklist before I begin and was wondering if anyone here has advice. Or if there's a method they've used as a consultant or when in a similar situation?

Thanks!!! And I'll probably log my process here too.

and look at all the users in any administrator groups

So when you say network tech, what are your job duties? Some places network techs maintain switchgear/routers/servers/applications. In my line of work, network techs are cable pullers and switch installers.

So when you say network tech, what are your job duties? Some places network techs maintain switchgear/routers/servers/applications. In my line of work, network techs are cable pullers and switch installers.

Well, I find the title changes depending on what HR says it is. Although, looking at the details this senior tech position is a jack of all trades. Able to run structured cabling included ;)

Judging by the lack of replies I'm confident I'm on the right track...

I would definitely move verifying/configuring backups to the top of the list.

I have found, taking over 3rd party networks, that usually it is because the previous tech is no longer there and not many other people can tell you in great detail about the network. I would get a spiceworks VM spun up and let it scan everything on the network with the domain administrator login. Spiceworks is free and easy to setup if most devices are joined to the domain. It doesnt catch everything but will give you a pretty good idea of hardware specs, software installed, installed windows patches, etc..

I have found, taking over 3rd party networks, that usually it is because the previous tech is no longer there and not many other people can tell you in great detail about the network. I would get a spiceworks VM spun up and let it scan everything on the network with the domain administrator login. Spiceworks is free and easy to setup if most devices are joined to the domain. It doesnt catch everything but will give you a pretty good idea of hardware specs, software installed, installed windows patches, etc..

In school, this is mainly what my teacher says... similar to what is quoted above.

Back