Anyone with Asus motherboard bios 2301 (model technically shouldn't matter) having a dual starting/rebooting issue?

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a Z490-I that acted normal on bios 2201. I installed 2301 (which all this is supposed to change is have the TPM crap setup on default in bios for Win 11) Ever since this bios the computer does what seems like a dual start both from cold booting and from a restart.

IE it acts like when you make bios changes for the first time where the system will start up then shut off then start up normally. As if it's setting timings and such for your ram. Problem is it does this all the damn time now. Do a restart in windows it shuts off then powers on. Cold boot it starts up doesn't post and shuts off then powers on again normally. I can do bios flashback to 2201 and this goes away. Put 2301 back on it and hello back again.

I've tried auto, manual, and xmp to the same outcome. I've searched google and all I seem to come up with is setting timings for ram manually which I've tried and to have ERP off which it's already disabled.

Is this normal activity for the TPM module since that is what ASUS "claims" as the change between 2201 to 2301. (TPM being activated by default in bios for WIN 11 readiness)

I didn't have issues like that with other Asus boards when flashing to a fTPM module activated by default bios. Granted it was on an AMD board, but the fTPM shouldn't cause that behavior on its own.

I also don't have that behavior on a Z690-A D4 board either. I sold my Z490 board a while ago, so I can't tell you about that particular chipset.

I didn't have issues like that with other Asus boards when flashing to a fTPM module activated by default bios. Granted it was on an AMD board, but the fTPM shouldn't cause that behavior on its own.

I also don't have that behavior on a Z690-A D4 board either. I sold my Z490 board a while ago, so I can't tell you about that particular chipset.
I mean Asus "claims" the change from 2201 to 2301 is that the TPM is activated by default there are no other changes in the bios so they say. So for it to boot and restart normally on 2201 then do this double start bit with 2301 leads me to believe there is something else in this bios then just the tpm enabled by default. This is my second Z490-I board. First one 2201 wouldn't save the PTT being enabled just like this one on 2201. It wouldn't take 2301 because the Intel ME F/W was updated 3 versions newer then what Asus has on the support site.

I jacked around with them for over a month trying to get them to update the 2301 to support the 3 newer versions of ME F/W and just kept getting the same copy paste canned responses from different reps each time. There are several people on the ROG forums that have the same issue with 2301 because they updated their ME F/W also. So it's not like I was the only one trying to use 2301 with a newer then available F/W from their support site. We all know Asus takes a decade to update their crap. LOL How they expect to get anything done in a timely manner with their support is beyond me. They have got to be the only company that doesn't assign a ticket to a single person so one person knows what is going on vs 15 different ones not having any idea what was previously discussed etc.

For the record newer Intel ME F/W and 2301 just causes an infinite never posting boot loop. What fun that is. lol

I've got a Z490-I that acted normal on bios 2201. I installed 2301 (which all this is supposed to change is have the TPM crap setup on default in bios for Win 11) Ever since this bios the computer does what seems like a dual start both from cold booting and from a restart.

IE it acts like when you make bios changes for the first time where the system will start up then shut off then start up normally. As if it's setting timings and such for your ram. Problem is it does this all the damn time now. Do a restart in windows it shuts off then powers on. Cold boot it starts up doesn't post and shuts off then powers on again normally. I can do bios flashback to 2201 and this goes away. Put 2301 back on it and hello back again.

I've tried auto, manual, and xmp to the same outcome. I've searched google and all I seem to come up with is setting timings for ram manually which I've tried and to have ERP off which it's already disabled.

Is this normal activity for the TPM module since that is what ASUS "claims" as the change between 2201 to 2301. (TPM being activated by default in bios for WIN 11 readiness)
It sounds like there is something with 2301 that your system doesn't like. If I were you, I'd wait until the next BIOS version comes out and just run 2201 and skip 2301 entirely.

are you doing a good bios clear after updating?

It sounds like there is something with 2301 that your system doesn't like. If I were you, I'd wait until the next BIOS version comes out and just run 2201 and skip 2301 entirely.
or that ^^

Well I finally discovered why 2201 wasn't Win 11 ready. For some reason that bios was changing the OS Type under secure boot to Other OS instead of Windows UEFI mode. Changing it to UEFI now shows it as Win 11 ready as to 2301 bios screw it! Asus has problems with it and I'm not going down that support back and forth copy and paste response while having a completely different rep after each email any more then I have already rabbit hole.

Well I finally discovered why 2201 wasn't Win 11 ready. For some reason that bios was changing the OS Type under secure boot to Other OS instead of Windows UEFI mode. Changing it to UEFI now shows it as Win 11 ready as to 2301 bios screw it! Asus has problems with it and I'm not going down that support back and forth copy and paste response while having a completely different rep after each email any more then I have already rabbit hole.
Yeah sounds like Asus support still leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah sounds like Asus support still leaves a lot to be desired.
While I'm not saying Asus support is great or anything, but thinking a big tech company is going to make custom BIOS files everytime a customer complains about an issues is whishfull thinking.

If the only thing that was supposedly changed it that TPM is on by default, just turn it on manually in the old BIOS that works fine and be done with it.

The problem is that a lot of these companies have monthly BIOS releases (ASUS being the worst) where they do not explain what the changes are. They'll simply say something like: "improves stability" and that's it. I've seen significant changes in a BIOS that weren't documented in the version notes made available to the public.

Back