Anyone with a Samsung KS8000? Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Version_3

2[H]4U
I've been trying to convince Samsung that they have a bug in their current software (I have 1114 as the latest), and since my TV is less than 2 weeks old at this point, I'd rather see if the userbase has the same issue, instead of them replacing the mainboard in my new TV.

I have a UN65KS8000FXZA, and connected to it on HDMI 2 is a Raspberry Pi, running a web server that displays an information dashboard I wrote in Angular. As the info is helpful to us in the morning to plan for the day, I set the power on and power off timer for Mon-Fri.

Power on: 6:00AM
Power off: 7:00AM

It had been working well, turning on right at 6, but we eventually turn it off ourselves, as we've been leaving the house by 6:15AM.

When I get home in the afternoon, I'll flip on Netflix, Plex, Amazon, or my PS4 and do something with it. While using the TV, it would just shut off. After turning it back on after, it's fine.

The second day this happened, I reset the TV to factory settings, unplugged it, waited, plugged it back in, and then set it up. Any of the Eco settings, the Anynet+ (CEC) settings, or anything else that could control the TV's power cycle, were left off or turned off.

Day 3, it happened again. It wasn't until it turned off after less than 1 minute where I queried my wife and asked when she left. She said right at 7, but she still turned off the TV manually, right at or just about 7am.

So then I made the connection while also remembering that the TV never shut off on it's own during the weekend.

If it powers on at 6am, and I shut it off at 6:15am, in the afternoon when I turn it on again, it will shut off 45 minutes later. It is acting like a sleep timer instead of a time off trigger.

I tested this over multiple days, and it happens right at the time I expect it to.

I contacted Samsung, and the person on the other end couldn't understand basic English, so I just asked for my issue to be escalated. Next I got a call from a local repair shop wanting to come out to replace the mainboard or blame the Netflix app (nevermind that I used several other sources). I believe it's a software issue, and I've been trying to convince Samsung ever since.

So, if anyone with this TV or similar, such as the KS8500, please set the power on and power off timer (in the Time menu), and test it like how I described it above, I'll take this thread and send it to Samsung in the effort of getting them to fix this timer.

Thank you!

TL;DR: TV may have software bug with power off/on timer. Please help test and confirm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back