Anyone who has used both 27/28" 4k and 32/34" 3440*1440 pls

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Let me know your thoughts.

I have $200 in amazon gift certs from various work rewards and about $700 cash I could spend.

As with certain other things (whether they say so or not) in this case Size does matter... but so does clarity.

I'll be dropping from 5760*1080 but I sit back about 4 feet from the monitors now too and will be able to move closer and put my keyboard on my desk instead of this microwave cart.

Thoughts, opinions, feedback, suggestions and ideas are very welcome.

TY ALL

*EB*

Anyone have experience with the :
Sony XBR65X930C 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
As a monitor?

It looks almost too perfect, though I know pricing is for being a last years model with a price of $891.

As for 4k content, how well does that work with no Display Port?

I am looking at both monitor and tv options for putting 1 new display on my desk.

All one topic for me.

Recently seen 27" 4k VA, Ultrawide 1440 IPS panels, 1080p ultrawide, 40" 4k and use 2560x1440 10bit AH-IPS.

My pick with all equal is the 40"+ 4k. Far, far more immersive, better productivity and not much bigger than the 1440 ultrawides in terms of base desk space. Wasabi Mango if you need freesync but input lag on them isn't perfect.

If input lag is an issue go Ultrawide.

27"4k seemed like a waste of pixels, just extra load for a GPU when gaming and scaling issues in apps which don't scale. It's so fine pixel wise, that the benefit is not really there of 4k. 110ppi or so (1440p or 4k 40"+) seems to be the sweet spot for me.

My next monitor will be in the high 30" to high 40" range, depending on OLED or IPS releases. If I had to buy now, Wasabi Mango.

Anyone have experience with the :
Sony XBR65X930C 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
As a monitor?

It looks almost too perfect, though I know pricing is for being a last years model with a price of $891.

As for 4k content, how well does that work with no Display Port?

A few problems.

A) No DisplayPort...means that in order to get above 30Hz refresh rates you need HDMI 2.0 on both the monitor AND the GPU driving it. DP1.2 even does 60Hz 3840x2160 fine in 10 bit.

B) Viewing distance. How far away are you wanting to sit? The nice thing and bad thing about 4K is that in 27-32" class panels you get higher DPI so font rendering is much more crisp....the bad thing is that Windows has some goofy sometimes broken scaling tendencies when you crank up the scaling factor to make thing readable.

For example on my 32" 4K, in Chrome in Windows 10x64. Windows Scaling set to 150%, Chrome zoom set to 90%....HardForum looks great. But Google Hangouts chat windows look blurry. Why? Because of goofball scaling that Microsoft never standardized....But if I set Windows scaling to 125%, and do zooming (125%) and sizing of Text via Chrome for readability the bluriness goes away. I also have to use 3rd party utilities to alter the Win10 fonts for typeface and sizing, because W10 sucks like that.

Last edited:
My GPU does have HDMI 2.0, I've found pretty much any TV I'd remotely consider as a monitor also has HDMI 2.0, where the Monitors all have HDMI 1.x and DP.

The Wasabi Mango does look pretty nifty - except for this part:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Anyone have input on this one? :
Philips Monitor Bdm4350uc 108cm 42.5in Ips Led 3840x2160 16:9

I stopped torturing myself and pulled the trigger.

Samsung UN48JU7500 Curved 48-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (2015 Model)

The Wasabi Mango monitors look good spec wise, eventually I'll be looking for another, for a second system, or another person, how well do they hold up?

I was a bit concerned about not knowing the brand and all that.

I have experience with the Philips 43" 4k, Samsung 40" 4k, an LG 27" 4k and the Acer 34" Ultrawide. I had problems with the Philips and it was too large for me. The Samsung was a better size but input lag was way too high for me or with better input lag the 4:2:2 sucked.

For now, I have landed on the final two, a 27" 4k and 34" Ultrawide. Happy with my decision as I now have low input lag, high fps, and a high resolution secondary monitor for 4k consumption/manipulation. Gives me plenty of usable real estate for productivity and a second monitor while in something full screen. I would rather have two monitors than one giant one personally but we all have different usage needs.

Best of luck with the Samsung. Hope it fits your needs/wants.

Thank you.

This one is supposed to have pretty low input lag, and support chroma 4:4:4 @ 4k 60hz

I know that isnt super fast but it seems to work ok for me.

Anyone have experience using a 3d TV as a 3d monitor?

If I'm not mistaken it has low input lag with 4:2:2 or high input lag with 4:4:4. You get one or the other but not both which was very disappointing to me.

Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

Acer X34 predator user here.

I love it BUT I have to qualify 3 things.

1. I only game on it (well and casual Internet use). I won't be caught dead watching movies or TV shows at PC desk.
2. I have a very deep desk (so I sit a comfortable distance from it)
3. I have it backed by 2 X Titan Xs in SLI

Haven't used 4K yet.

If I'm not mistaken it has low input lag with 4:2:2 or high input lag with 4:4:4. You get one or the other but not both which was very disappointing to me.

Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up.

It arrived today.

I will likely battle the box, desk and everything tomorrow after work or this weekend.

From : Samsung JU7500 Review (UN40JU7500, UN48JU7500, UN50JU7500, UN55JU7500, UN65JU7500, UN78JU7500)

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4
: Yes
1080p @ 120Hz
: No
4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4
4k @ 60Hz
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4

Like all Samsung UHD TVs, it supports chroma 4:4:4 under PC mode, but can't handle 1080p @ 120 fps.

Input Lag

: 21.1 ms
With Interpolation

: 130.2 ms
Outside Game Mode

: 119.8 ms
From all the other TV's I've looked at 21.1 is pretty good.

Of course I will keep this thing in game mode 24/7.

I dont watch tv/movies often, I dont mind watching on my computer. I can see the point of not wanting to watch on the Preditor 34"

I was seriously tempted to go with the Predator and work my way up to 3 of them. Would fit on my desk.

Then I would have to cry and wait for the GPU able to run them in surround.

AH I see : Game mode and PC mode are different.

I will have to test it out.

The input lag of the Samsung JU7500 is a very low 21.1 ms when you turn on game mode. PC mode, which you need to use if you want full chroma 4:4:4, has 37.3 ms.

37.3 is much more average.

Yeah, I can't handle 4:2:2 as it bothers the crap out of me on the desktop and 37.3ms was also too much input lag coming from basically zero. 21.1ms is not bad but I don't know why Samsung couldn't figure out how to get 21.1ms input lag AND 4:4:4.

Been using the new monitor a few days.

I dont have a way to test, if someone knows please speak up - I can find no "computer" mode in the settings - just game mode. Text in windows and everywhere is sharp and easy to read. I assume it is 4 4 4.

In fact the text on the samsung is sharper and easier to read then on either westinghouse even though it is larger print on the others.

I'm now wondering how worth it the $39.99 to Nvidia will be to turn on 3D for all my games....

Back