Anyone went from nvida to ati or vise versa and did you like the change?

See, this is what starts fights. You state this like it's fact, when really it's just your opinion based off of a bad experience or two. You really should say that you've had nothing but bad experiences with them, you wouldn't reccomend them, et cetera.

If you say that, people with brains won't read your post and think, to themselves, "wow, look at this idiot dispensing advice like he's installed every single video card, with every single driver set, on every single windows configuration" ;)

OP, like some have said here, both has advantages and disadvantages. IF....IF you get a good, clean, driver install from either company, I'm sure you'll have a great experience. Sure, you might get a dud card once in a blue moon, but that happens with everything, not just vid cards.

I dont need a teenaged noob lecturing me on what I should and shouldnt say. Lets just say I have been installing video cards since before 3dfx was popular, and I have the experience to make the statements I made with confidence. I stand by exactly what I said exactly how I said them.

i generally go with the company name, doesn't matter of its ATI or Nvidia, i go with whoever offers the best support for the video card, like EVGA with lifetime warranty. I owned both ATI and nvidia cards in the past and usually bought the 2 same competitors equal value/speed cards, such as the 260/4870. in that option there is really no reason to go either way, but i stuck with evga with their support and good OC results. thats really it

I have a related question. I've always owned Nvidia but recently purchased an ATI HIS passively cooled 4670 as I don't game but do run dual monitors. So far I'm loving it! I am having a hard time figuring out how to assign different images to the desktop of each monitor in Extended Mode. I run XP Pro. Looking through the Help files, I've read a couple things that mention Hydra and enabling Multi Desktop and that Hydra is only available in Vista? I've been able to assign different background images on my dual monitor setups using XP with Nvidia cards FOREVERS. Is this really not possible in XP with an ATI card??? Am I missing something? Thx.

i went from 7600gt -> 8800gs -> 3870x2 -> gtx 260 -> 9800gtx+ -> 9600 gso

with my 3870x2, the ati catalyst control center would crash every day. this was with a clean install. oftentimes when i booted up, i would get that message saying ati ccc has crashed and was closed upon reaching my desktop.

after i switched back to nvidia, i have not had a single crash with the nvidia drivers. this is with both beta and whql releases. so i've used nvidia for 7series, 8series, 9series, and gtx, and they've all been very stable for me. 7600 was xfx, 8800 / gtx260 were evga, 9800gtx+ was galaxy. my 3870x2 was an asus.

I went from an X800 XT 256MB to an 8800 GTX (then SLI, then Tri-SLI). The 8800 GTX looks better in the same titles and is obviously worlds faster. I also much prefer the Nvidia Forceware drivers to ATI's Catalyst Control Suite.

Having been a long term ATI owner (Rage Pro 128, Radeon DDR, Radeon 9700 Pro, Radeon X800 XT) I can't see myself going back to ATI any time soon unless they can definitively take the performance crown from Nvidia. Having dealt with solutions from both companies (and more recent ATI cards in the 4800 series in machines belonging to friends and family) I do not feel either has any kind of IQ lead; all I see is a bit of variance in default gamma levels. A properly calibrated display shows things for what they really are, namely, damn near the same.

ATI's driver suite however is even more broken than Nvidia's (I am not really defending either company -- they both have a long way to go here) and their cards are generally slower. Finally, and most importantly for me, they seem to have consistently lower minimum framerates, and this number is far more important to me than maximum, and to a degree even average, framerates.

Lets just say I have been installing video cards since before 3dfx was popular,

Me too, so what's your point? I didn't realize we had to account for our activities all the way back to the time before Nvidia and ATI being the duopoly they are today. I'll see your 3dfx and raise you a Number Nine Vesa Local Bus card. Or maybe an S3 Trident 2MB ISA VGA card. I think it could do 256 colors at 1024x768. Whee.

Worked for a company that had 21" monitors in the early 90s running 1280x1024 on freaking OS/2 2.1, it was pretty radical resolution back then. But I don't expect any brownie points for it.

Back