Anyone using/used the Zalman ZM600-HP?

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey there, [H]'ers! This is a question for anyone who has previously or is currently using the Zalman 600 watt PSU. I'd like your observations about quality, reliability, and noise. My choices for quality parts are limited where I live, and the Zalman recently came into stock at a good price... almost too good, if you know what I mean. So thought I'd ask fellow [H]'ers if they've any experience with it before splashing down the dough. My system is in my sig and any feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. ;)

Thanks Paul! I'm not yet decided as to whether I'll purchase it at all... I'd much prefer a PSU with 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. Now that the 2900XT is out in the wild, I doubt Nvidia is going to ignore these in future products. The only PSU available wjere I am that has these connectors is the Thermaltake 1000w Toughpower. Besides the overkill, I'd really like to avoid the TT's next time, as I have a 700w TT now, and it throws out more heat into the case than I'd like. Anyway, thanks for the link. :)

Thanks Paul! I'm not yet decided as to whether I'll purchase it at all... I'd much prefer a PSU with 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. Now that the 2900XT is out in the wild, I doubt Nvidia is going to ignore these in future products. The only PSU available wjere I am that has these connectors is the Thermaltake 1000w Toughpower. Besides the overkill, I'd really like to avoid the TT's next time, as I have a 700w TT now, and it throws out more heat into the case than I'd like. Anyway, thanks for the link. :)

The TT 1000w and 1200w are completely different product lines from the other TT Toughpowers. The efficiency on the 1000w/1200w is very good and the cooling solution is as well. Take a look: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzMCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Hi Paul,
I remember that review, it seemed an impressive unit. I just worry it would be overkill for anything I'll have in my system for the next year or two. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't graphics cards the biggest single 'offender' when it comes to power consumption in a system? With both ATI and Nvidia working on die shrinks for their next generations, won't that mitigate to some extent their power draw? I know far too little of PSU's, so I would appreciate your advice: do you see over the next year or so an OC'd enthusiast/gaming system running RAID 0 with perhaps one or two more hard drives, a host of fans, an optical drive, and a discrete graphics card drawing enough to need 1000watts?

Drawing enugh to hit 1000w? No, but PSU's usually hit their peak efficiency around 50% load so you may want to consider in conjunction with any derating when selecting the correct size.

That's very useful to know! So... get the TT 1000w, throw in another 2900XT for some crossfire action and I'll be at peak efficiency...

... Ok, ok, I'm stupid, I know! :p

Back