Anyone using the Ubiquity EdgeMax Router Lite & Unifi combo?

Vader

Supreme [H]ardness
My brother is a Ubiquity dealer so I can get stuff for a great price, though he has yet to work with the EdgeMax Router. I'm looking to completely replace my home Dlink setup as i've had two hardware related failures and I really want a better Router/Firewall with additional Ports for DMZ, my Private VMware Cloud deployment lab..as well as adding a IP security camera(s) to a Cloud based server on my LAN. My LAN is run by dual HP 1810-24G's so i'm all set in that area. I also want to replace my access point with something more powerful than my Dlink access point/switch in my living room. We started to redo our sunroom on the back of the house and we will be spending a lot of time out there this summer so I would like to have Wireless Music..etc..setup out there and I don't want to have to worry about drops..etc.

I'm thinking of a combination Ubiquity EdgeMax Router with a Single Unifi in the center of the home. My home is single story Ranch (finishing Basement next year) 2000sq ft and i'd like to get it outside at a decent distance in the backyard, maybe 100ft or so out the back of the house.

Any thoughts on this setup? I'm not really looking for other hardware recommendations, rather, an idea on if I would need additional wireless capacity and if anyone here has used the EdgeMax and their thoughts on the product.

Edgerouter lite is an interesting box. At the moment it has a bug where if you game or torrent the Hardware acceleration driver will screw up and throughput will tank. I know they are working on it.

Over all its an impressive piece of hardware. It should be ready for prime time usage by next spring.

The Unifi units kick ass in 2.4Ghz mode. On the Pro model 5Ghz mode is not bug free, but works well with less than "3" 5Ghz clients connected. There's are no issues with 20+ 2.4Ghz clients connected on any model. Overall its a very impressive device.

I own one, and am considering adding a second later.

You can run FreeBSD with pf/ipfw on the Edgerouter Lite otherwise :)
//Danne

Crap a year to fix that issue is a bit extreme no?

The hardware driver issue specifically will probably be fixed within the next 2 months. The Edgerouter has a ton of features....of which only a few are available in the GUI.

Give it a year and there should be 6-10 times the number of features available in the GUI. Along with a pile of new features.

So if you like configuring your routers in CLI. And like not have complete and fully available documentation from day one....go buy one. For $99 you won't be disappointed.

I'm using a PSsense box for now and might buy a Edgerouter Pro when they are released next year.

Ubiquiti is one of those strange companies that somehow has a slowly expanding business model where they resist the temptation to grow the company quickly.

Where did you get the Edgerouter? Is there somewhere that is shipping already?

streakwave.com seems to indicate they have them in stock, probably gonna get one of these later this month to try out.

I just got my edgerouter lite today I got it from ubnt.ca but I am going to WARN you guys that the edgerouters are still on back order on many distributor sites and I can say they will be all gone with all the back orders they have so wait other 3 months before you even get one. Also Ubnt have an stocking issue that they never got fixed yet as they said they didnt.

At least try to look stuff up instead just being lazy...
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/mips/Octeon
http://people.freebsd.org/~jmallett/octeon-dmesg/ubiquiti-edgerouter-lite.txt
It's work in progress but still...
//Danne

very interesting...

also, does anyone have any more details on the hardware accel problems they were having? i've been trying to find info on that and have come up short...

is this still a problem? what is the real issue? has ubiquiti come forward about it?

I ordered mine from Microcom. Even though their site indicated May availability, it shipped 2 days after placing the order. I ordered it for a client for use with a Unifi AP but have not set it up yet.

I ordered mine from Microcom. Even though their site indicated May availability, it shipped 2 days after placing the order. I ordered it for a client for use with a Unifi AP but have not set it up yet.

I thought they didn't have a unifi client for the EdgeRouter? Or did they finally get around to releasing one?

I thought they didn't have a unifi client for the EdgeRouter? Or did they finally get around to releasing one?
I am not sure what you mean by unifi client - the router is managed by a web-ui and ssh CLI.

My Edgemax was delivered yesterday. Gonna play with it this weekend. Will share my experience as soon as I have time..which lately..has been non-existent...

I assumed you were going to run the Unifi Controller software on the EdgeRouter.
Ultimately, I would love this, to be able to control the Unifi from the Edgemax would be awesome! My hope is that they can build this functionality in with later firmware, though it's doubtful.

My Edgemax was delivered yesterday. Gonna play with it this weekend. Will share my experience as soon as I have time..which lately..has been non-existent...

Ultimately, I would love this, to be able to control the Unifi from the Edgemax would be awesome! My hope is that they can build this functionality in with later firmware, though it's doubtful.

i don't think the edgemax really has the capability for that... it's specially designed for packet switching, not serving up java

you can do offsite management now of the unifi devices though, that's a good thing

again EdgeRouter can not do this not at lease read Ubnt forums about it please.

OK..I don't think anyone stated it "COULD" manage Unifi..it's more of a wishlist type thing. Not a big deal really.

My Edgemax is in place at the house now. Preliminary testing is good, no issues with gaming, downloads, etc.

For security, i'm basically running it like a statefull firewall. I have yet too setup any external access, or VPN...etc...that's next on my list. I'm happy with it so far. The next test is implementing my vCloud VLAN's and Routing functions so some of my vCloud vApps can access the Internet. One of my goals with my Cloud Project was to implement my own WordPress Services. I like my Blog hosted by Wordpress now, but I don't get all the features that I could get with rolling my own.

Ordering the Unifi tomorrow.

The hardware driver issue specifically will probably be fixed within the next 2 months. The Edgerouter has a ton of features....of which only a few are available in the GUI.

Give it a year and there should be 6-10 times the number of features available in the GUI. Along with a pile of new features.

So if you like configuring your routers in CLI. And like not have complete and fully available documentation from day one....go buy one. For $99 you won't be disappointed.

I'm using a PSsense box for now and might buy a Edgerouter Pro when they are released next year.

Ubiquiti is one of those strange companies that somehow has a slowly expanding business model where they resist the temptation to grow the company quickly.

Ubiquiti is not hesitant on expanding. Rather the company has commented numerous times for their reason to adaptation:

Without adding a lot of the unneccessary features, utilizing the community/forums of official staff to knock down on tech support bills, and the pervasive/ubiquitous internet to sell the product/name itself guarantees parts at marginal cost with 90% of the necessary features. Not to mention the reinvented wheel and the GUIs are driving people wild.:p

To the OP:
I think you've have a simple yet justified setup plan ... my only recommendation, without spanning your house with a tape measure, would be a possible second unify piece of hardware. Go with one to start and check your coverage ... if your serious about this mutimedia ability without slowdown, you may yield better results with 2 (I believe the network is seemless from 1 ap to the other)

Firmware 1.2.0 is out..fixes a bunch of stuff, but big one is the hardware acceleration and upnp.

Back