Anyone using quad SLI with 3+1 displays?

klepp0906

Gawd
Gonna be a nightmare finding someone with this exact config id imagine but I'm having problems setting up an accessory monitor so I'm trying to find someone with the exact same set up so I can ascertain what is a guarunteed to be working config.

Best I've come up with is a yellow exclamation point that says "this monitor will not be used".

All connected to different cards using DVI and before someone jumps in and says that's the problem and they all need to be on one card etc etc. NVCP forces you to connect 1 display to card 1/2/4 to enable surround. Where the last one goes, I haven't figured out/had luck with yet.

You would think the empty card but I've tried that and others with no luck. The acc display is a 24 and 1200p while the surrounds are 27 and 1440p but that "shouldn't" make a difference. So far, you could have fooled me .....

Anyone with anything to offer - especially an identical config nvidia wise would be awesome!!

The only thing I can offer is that is not a supported configuration with Nvidia Surround Display.. you have to have identical resolutions and orientation (Portrait, Landscape) and use 1 matching output on each card. There is no support for a fourth monitor using a spare output.

I have not tried using a separate video device to see if it could work alongside of Nvidia Surround...say something like a USB video adapter to drive a 4th monitor (logic tells me it should work but you know how that goes)

Really? Cause i was told 3+1 is supported. Many people use it tbh. Just not me apparently lol

As for using the onboard video - that is something I didn't even consider... I wonder how much heat etc would be generated by enabling the gpu on the CPU. (I have it overclocked to it's limit so I can't afford much more temp). Something I'll definately look into should I not be able to get it working on my gpus.

Really? Cause i was told 3+1 is supported. Many people use it tbh. Just not me apparently lol

As for using the onboard video - that is something I didn't even consider... I wonder how much heat etc would be generated by enabling the gpu on the CPU. (I have it overclocked to it's limit so I can't afford much more temp). Something I'll definately look into should I not be able to get it working on my gpus.

Where/Who is telling you it is supported? It's supported in SLI sure..but not Surround AFAIK

It works. I have two systems running this config (one SLI titans the other SLI 780Tis)

You have to do this in 2 steps
(1) Configure the surround group and you will see the yellow exclamation on the fourth LCD (just configure the 3 surround group)
(2) Then in nvidia control panel select setup multiple displays and place a check box in the accessory display to turn on the fourth LCD

A hah! I posted this elsewhere and got the same reply!! One more question before I hook this up and try it that way (assuming it will work too!) Are you using a different reso display for your accessory?

And yes I'm using 2psus. I haven't boughten a splitter for the 24 pin yet (not until I replace my lian li mid tower with a full tower (both psus won't even fit in the case lol. I had to do a lot of cutting to fit four cards and my watercooling is all outside the case as well.). Fortunately the evga supernova psu has a dipswitch that allows you to simply flip the switch to turn it on/off (I rarely turn my PC off anyhow)

Anyways - thanks SO much for the replies guys. I'm gonna give it a go and report back :)

Just as a quick update. I connected it and it shows up in the multiple display category. I got excited but when I went to click the check box, it is greyed out :(

The display itself currently says "the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1200x60hz or any other listed timing per the monitor specifications?

Sounds like it's trying to use it at the same reso as my surround displays? Any ideas?

What size are yours? What kind of connections are you using?

I noticed someone asked about onboard gpu. Yea the haswell has one but it's disabled as my chip is heavily overclocked. I'm hoping to keep it that way. Certainly a last resort and something I hadnt considered before. Besides what if I were using a CPU without integrated gpu :(

Keep the info coming :) thanks again!

Woot woot!! It wouldn't work on the barren card but when I connected it to card 1 and ran windows update - it installed monitor drivers and POOF popped up!

How exciting!!!

Sooooo happy now lol. No idea how these work but I'm hoping I can use it during gaming to do some reading online/research/homework soon (going back to school at 31 ewww)

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions. Guys like you make forums such an awesome place that we would all be lost without :p

One more question as my OCD/anal tendencies take over! The color difference is tremendous but since they're both dells I'm going to assume if I set similar colors that are on the surround displays, the acc should come close. If not, I dial it in - not rocket science.

Panning to the accessory display however... I currently have it lined up at the bottom edge and if I move my mouse from my surround to the acc - it lines up perfectly. However, the further I move upwards to make the transition, the further off it becomes (where the mouse pointer reappears) how does one adjust this?

Also, is it possible to use a different background on the accessory display as on the surround? I have it set as extend which is the only way I think u can use it - which leads me to believe that using a different background is impossible :(

I hope it's not the case as my acc display seems to be showing a duplicate of my surround displays wallpaper - not extending anything :p

As always, thank you!

Hey, glad it worked out for you. You can drag to arrange the desktops so that they line up where you have them physically in the CP.

I think you have to use some kind of third-party desktop app to get separate backgrounds.

Good luck with school, man, what are you going in for?

Yea after doing some digging it looks like a third party app of some sort is required. Ah well.

I wasn't thinking during that last post. Obviously it shows a duplicate desktop otherwise it wouldn't be an accessory display it would be surround :p

I did in fact try adjusting it by moving it which is how I got it lined up at the bottom. Due to the different resolutions it's off as I move up the display by more and more. I think without it being in surround their is nothing I can do about this due to the one display having 1920 pixels and the other habing 2560 (they are in portrait)

All of that I can get past - however one last GLARING issue which kills me is the fact I cannot use it while gaming. Tell me their is a solution for this? In order to use it I have to alt tab which defeats the purpose lol. I can run in borderless mode but then I lose SLI which at this resolution simply isn't an option.

You would think these sorts of things would be front and center when designing software/drivers. I do a lot of mmo gaming and my absolute main driving idea behind adding it to begin with was to be able to use the web browser while gaming! (As well as use it for school stuff while in game)

Anybody know of a way around this? I have heard that some games use SLI while in borderless (apparently not the ones I play) no clue why they ALL don't. If it's not some type of hardware limitation I don't understand what the hold up with making it available is. It would alleviate all my problems lol. With that said it could be that it works on single display SLI setups but not surround. Would be far from the first issue I've found with surround vs single display :(

Anyhow, before I carry on. To answer your question - I'm going to school for my bachelors in computer science. I went straight out of high school for a few semesters but women and my social life came first. Oh if I only would have known that school then led to plenty more of that AFTER lol.

Live and learn. Anyhow being a computer enthusiast - hardware and troubleshooting/being a power user has always been my thing. Unfortunately that does you little good in the corporate world. I need to work on become much more apt in networking/administration and as of late, programming has piqued my interest.

At one point in time I intended to become a dietician/therapist/personal trainer and was going to pursue a degree in kiseniology but I was diagnosed with cancer a few years back and between the toll that took on my body and then getting married - had to kiss that goodbye lol. Haven't seen a gym in 3+ years now :(

If I didn't get married I had considered the military as well. (Was big on physical activity and they truly do offer an amazing benefit package, fringe and otherwise). Alas, my wife is so attached to her families teet, she refuses to move and even if I was cleared by my doc to enlist id likely be risking my marraige. Sad but true. Fortunately I have several passions of equal intensity so to speak :p

Anyhow, you now have my life story lol. You asked :p

You can't discount having the life experiences that you have though. Some of which you could do without, but of course you can't pick and choose after the fact in life. Like I said, good luck, man, and come what may.

Back