Anyone using Netgear 10gbe switches?

Machupo

Gravity Tester
Looking for a cheaper option for 10gbe core switches. I am looking particularly looking at the XS708T as I need LAGG (NAS mobo has dual 10gbe), but not many ports. Other than my lab, most service in the house will run out of my unifi PoE gigabit switch.

Just looking for price/performance or web interface useability comments. I have heard the fans are not quiet, so I will probably swap the fans for quieter models.

Thanks in advance!

I may also snag a netgear MS510TXPP as it has SFP+ and put the 8x AC-PRO APs on there and reserve the unifi switch for camera / wired IOT usage.

Lol, almost 5000 views and I'm apparently talking to myself :p

People want 10G, but want the cheapest possible. 10G is not cheap, you dont cheap out on 10G. Wait a few years and 10G will be cheaper...

Are you saturating a 1G line?

I'd recommend digging in to Mikrotik's product lines and curling up to some fiber...

People want 10G, but want the cheapest possible. 10G is not cheap, you dont cheap out on 10G. Wait a few years and 10G will be cheaper...

I am saturating a dual 1G connection (just rebuilt my SSD NAS in the storage forum showoff thread). Plan to go to a dual 10G connection to the box.

I am not looking for *cheap*, just quality, certain features (LACP), and not *unnecessarily* expensive (cough, cisco). I have no issue plunking down around a grand for a core switch, but 2500 is certainly out of consideration. Hence the interest in the netgear items.

Thanks!

I'd recommend digging in to Mikrotik's product lines and curling up to some fiber...

Will take a look at mikrotik; any particular models/lines? Any usage comments?

I move every couple of years, so would prefer not to put fiber behind the walls. With copper 10G, the people who follow me would just see a cat 6a keystone as a normal ethernet plug (because it is) and could probably use it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Will take a look at mikrotik; any particular models/lines? Any usage comments?

That really depends on your intended architecture. How many ports, where do they go, which / how many need to be 10GbE and / or PoE, etc.

I move every couple of years, so would prefer not to put fiber behind the walls. With copper 10G, the people who follow me would just see a cat 6a keystone as a normal ethernet plug (because it is) and could probably use it.

I feel you there!

Fiber is cheaper for longer runs, supposing that those are convenient, but also using Direct Attach Cables (DACs) between SFP+ ports in shorter runs. Thus, a mix of SFP+ and 10Gbase-T RJ45 ports is likely to be most effective.

This. I have a spare expansion slot on my NAS machine waiting for quality 10G to drop in price to something reasonable.

I am saturating a dual 1G connection (just rebuilt my SSD NAS in the storage forum showoff thread). Plan to go to a dual 10G connection to the box.

I am not looking for *cheap*, just quality, .... Hence the interest in the netgear items.

So you're saying that you consider Netgear quality? Seriously? bwahahahaha!!! Good luck with that /rotfmfao

For the pricing, the XS708T is perfect for a home office. It's a mature product that has been out for coming up on 4 years now and has pretty much halved in price in that time. What issues do you have with it?

https://www.servethehome.com/netgear-prosafe-xs708t-review-quiet-8-port-10gbase-t-switch/

I wound up with a similar HP switch primarily due to complaints around the quality of Netgear's warranty service on Reddit.

I was able to order a pair of custom DACs (from Fiberstore) to set up the two SFP+ ports as a trunk using LDAP with an Aruba S2500 I'd gotten off ebay. Not needed, but it was a way to check them both, and I'd ordered two at US$40/ea so that I'd have a failover.

Now, if I had to do it again, I'd go with Mikrotik. Likely a smaller SFP+ switch and a larger 10Gbase-T switch. I'd keep the Edgerouter 4 until I find an affordable SOHO-level edge device that can handle 1Gbps duplex IPS flow without throttling or increasing latency...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wound up with a similar HP switch primarily due to complaints around the quality of Netgear's warranty service on Reddit.

I was able to order a pair of custom DACs (from Fiberstore) to set up the two SFP+ ports as a trunk using LDAP with an Aruba S2500 I'd gotten off ebay. Not needed, but it was a way to check them both, and I'd ordered two at US$40/ea so that I'd have a failover.

Now, if I had to do it again, I'd go with Mikrotik. Likely a smaller SFP+ switch and a larger 10Gbase-T switch. I'd keep the Edgerouter 4 until I find an affordable SOHO-level edge device that can handle 1Gbps duplex IPS flow without throttling or increasing latency...

Looks like this should be under my consideration :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not just one but, two qualifiers ... trying to convince me or yourself? :)

I'm not trying to convince anyone, if you want to spend more, buy Cisco. I'm not inclined to mess around with transceivers in my house and will stick to CAT6A but obviously other people will feel differently about their setups.

Looks like this should be under my consideration :)

I was thinking they'd had something newer with more 10Gbase-T, but it looks like this is it; still, it's price-competitive with Netgear, HP, etc, so that works!

Do note if it's not already been mentioned that there are SFP+ 10Gbase-T transceivers available for US$50-US$70 a pop if you need them, from Mikrotik and others.

Get a cheap used Nexus Switch.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cisco nexus&ssPageName=GSTL

Beats anything Netgear can muster for the same price. Not really hard to setup, NX-OS is great to work in.

*edit*

I missed the part about quiet... you could always put it somewhere out of the way? Its gets "quiet" once its booted.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Mikrotik make great switches. But the thing is, the cheaper models are typically just switches despite them calling them router/switches. Their management processors are usually quite anaemic which means that you try to do more outside of the switching fabric and they grind to a near halt.

If all you're doing is bridging networks or doing back-haul or whatever they're great.

If all you're doing is bridging networks or doing back-haul or whatever they're great.

You do need to do your research with these. They offer flexibility, Ubiquiti does the same, but one does need to be aware of the potential effects to performance.

So you're saying that you consider Netgear quality? Seriously? bwahahahaha!!! Good luck with that /rotfmfao

I usually tend to pick something else, but certain grades of their stuff have actually served me very well. I used to work in a lab that did heavy system imaging, pretty much constantly. I burned through all kinds of industrial grade rackmount switches, but was never able to kill a single simple off the shelf Netgear ProSafe. I couldn't believe it myself; I replaced at least every other switch I used once but the little Netgears just chugged along like nothing.

Still working optimizing, but it works :p Initial config was super easy, as was lagg/lacp setup.

Quite a bit louder than my unifi poe+ switch (which I modded to use Noiseblocker fans), so will be excited to get it downstairs into the rack, lol. Not bad at all for $50/port, though.

Back