Anyone using Netgear 10gbe switches?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Machupo, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

Looking for a cheaper option for 10gbe core switches. I am looking particularly looking at the XS708T as I need LAGG (NAS mobo has dual 10gbe), but not many ports. Other than my lab, most service in the house will run out of my unifi PoE gigabit switch.

Just looking for price/performance or web interface useability comments. I have heard the fans are not quiet, so I will probably swap the fans for quieter models.

Thanks in advance!

2. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

I may also snag a netgear MS510TXPP as it has SFP+ and put the 8x AC-PRO APs on there and reserve the unifi switch for camera / wired IOT usage.

3. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

Lol, almost 5000 views and I'm apparently talking to myself :p

4. Sniper|3d-R|

Sniper|3d-R| [H]ardness Supreme

People want 10G, but want the cheapest possible. 10G is not cheap, you dont cheap out on 10G. Wait a few years and 10G will be cheaper...

Are you saturating a 1G line?

GotNoRice likes this.
  5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I'd recommend digging in to Mikrotik's product lines and curling up to some fiber...

6. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

I am saturating a dual 1G connection (just rebuilt my SSD NAS in the storage forum showoff thread). Plan to go to a dual 10G connection to the box.

I am not looking for *cheap*, just quality, certain features (LACP), and not *unnecessarily* expensive (cough, cisco). I have no issue plunking down around a grand for a core switch, but 2500 is certainly out of consideration. Hence the interest in the netgear items.

Thanks!

Will take a look at mikrotik; any particular models/lines? Any usage comments?

I move every couple of years, so would prefer not to put fiber behind the walls. With copper 10G, the people who follow me would just see a cat 6a keystone as a normal ethernet plug (because it is) and could probably use it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 8:41 AM
  7. IdiotInCharge

That really depends on your intended architecture. How many ports, where do they go, which / how many need to be 10GbE and / or PoE, etc.

I feel you there!

Fiber is cheaper for longer runs, supposing that those are convenient, but also using Direct Attach Cables (DACs) between SFP+ ports in shorter runs. Thus, a mix of SFP+ and 10Gbase-T RJ45 ports is likely to be most effective.

8. beyonddc

beyonddc Limp Gawd

9. ThatITGuy

ThatITGuy Limp Gawd

This. I have a spare expansion slot on my NAS machine waiting for quality 10G to drop in price to something reasonable.

10. Nicklebon

Nicklebon Gawd

So you're saying that you consider Netgear quality? Seriously? bwahahahaha!!! Good luck with that /rotfmfao

11. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

12. IdiotInCharge

I wound up with a similar HP switch primarily due to complaints around the quality of Netgear's warranty service on Reddit.

I was able to order a pair of custom DACs (from Fiberstore) to set up the two SFP+ ports as a trunk using LDAP with an Aruba S2500 I'd gotten off ebay. Not needed, but it was a way to check them both, and I'd ordered two at US$40/ea so that I'd have a failover.

Now, if I had to do it again, I'd go with Mikrotik. Likely a smaller SFP+ switch and a larger 10Gbase-T switch. I'd keep the Edgerouter 4 until I find an affordable SOHO-level edge device that can handle 1Gbps duplex IPS flow without throttling or increasing latency...

13. Nicklebon

Nicklebon Gawd

Not just one but, two qualifiers ... trying to convince me or yourself? :)

14. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

Looks like this should be under my consideration :)

15. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm not trying to convince anyone, if you want to spend more, buy Cisco. I'm not inclined to mess around with transceivers in my house and will stick to CAT6A but obviously other people will feel differently about their setups.

16. IdiotInCharge

I was thinking they'd had something newer with more 10Gbase-T, but it looks like this is it; still, it's price-competitive with Netgear, HP, etc, so that works!

Do note if it's not already been mentioned that there are SFP+ 10Gbase-T transceivers available for US$50-US$70 a pop if you need them, from Mikrotik and others.

17. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

Get a cheap used Nexus Switch.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cisco nexus&ssPageName=GSTL

Beats anything Netgear can muster for the same price. Not really hard to setup, NX-OS is great to work in.

*edit*

I missed the part about quiet... you could always put it somewhere out of the way? Its gets "quiet" once its booted.