Anyone using Linux with a Gigabyte DQ6 (or similar?)

Hey everyone,

I just got around to installing Arch Linux 0.8 with the 2.6.20 kernel onto my new build, and upon first use, I started getting problems when trying to install packages.

After downloading files, I end up with some corrupted files, and then my system gives me an error:

Code:
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address

As well as

Code:
Soft lockup detected on CPU #0!

Now, I know my motherboard has some fairly new stuff like the Marvell NIC and the JMicron IDE controller, plus I run in AHCI mode with all my SATA drives. Right now I'm pointing to the driver for my Marvell NIC (the new sky2 module), so I was wondering if any of you ran a system that used a Marvell NIC that used the sky2 module?

System specs:
Gigabyte 965P DQ6
Core 2 Duo E6300
nVidia Geforce 8800GTS
2 GB RAM (5-5-5-15)
Onboard Marvel 8056 controller (sky2 module)
Realtek AL888DD onboard sound

The system is, as far as I can verify, not unstable. It is overclocked from 1.83 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz, it has survived overnight memtest86+ runs as well as a 12 hour Orthos testing of both cores, so I don't think it's a hardware problem - I really think it's driver related.

Thanks!

I have some DS3 boards, which are very similar to the DQ6. I can tell you with authority that sky2 does not work very well right now, even with the latest patches to kernel 2.6.20. It never locked up a CPU on me, though. All of the other on-board hardware works.

Cool, that's good to know. I think I remember you saying something similar in another thread.

I guess I'll have to use an add-in NIC card for the time being, time for the trusty Intel Pro/1000.

I have a S3 and I patched the kernel using latest marvell drivers from their website compiled kernel and everything works like a charm same with the jmicron. debian 4.0 has some support but its a hit and miss to get it to boot until you compile kernel with jmicron. its in the kernel but not enabled

So an update:

I tried the sk98lin drivers from Marvell's website based on some posts in other forums like Ubuntu and LinuxQuestions, and while it worked without corruption, the NIC will still just stop functioning, and net use is very bursty when it actually does work.

Apparently the person working on the sky2 driver has now removed support for Gigabyte's Marvell-based Yukon2 controllers because Gigabyte's are problematic or something, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I put the order in for an Intel e1000-based PCI NIC last night, rather than wait some indefinite amount of time to be able to use the Marvell NIC in Linux.

Back