Anyone using a smartwatch as a smartphone replacement?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I don't own a smartwatch but I'm wondering about buying the Samsung Galaxy 5 phone and if it would be a possible replacement for my smartphone

I would keep the phone but not carry it around with me

has anyone tried this with the latest generation of smart watches?

I don't own a smartwatch but I'm wondering about buying the Samsung Galaxy 5 phone and if it would be a possible replacement for my smartphone

I would keep the phone but not carry it around with me

has anyone tried this with the latest generation of smart watches?
You could lean heavily on it, but I wouldn’t count on leaving your phone at home. Battery life notwithstanding, there’s probably going to be moments where you really, really wish you had your phone, like a text message back-and-forth.

I have an Apple Watch and usually leave my phone in my pocket, but there are definitely times when I need something more while I’m out.

Thanks. Maybe smartwatches are still a few generations away from bring practical as phone replacements.

Do current smart-watches have their own sim card (or eSim) now, to where they can operate as an independent device? I thought they functioned as an extension of your phone via bluetooth?

It really depends on what you do on your smarthphone (and how good you are to be understood when you talk by smartwatch and if you are in environment where it is possible to speak loudly command and text)

I have the Watch 4, I knew I did not want the phone version as it would kill battery life and not work very well overall as my only device or my main one. I DO use the phone feature and text more than I thought when my phone is up stairs or in my bag when biking and such. Or I just leave my phone at home and go for a walk and the watch will track it. Primarily its still just a watch but I use more of its smart features than I thought I would. Changing out the default keyboard made me much faster at texting but its still slow. When possible I'll just dictate to it but its not as good as my phone (S22).

Love it, happy with it but I never expected it to be more than a watch with some bells and whistles.

Do current smart-watches have their own sim card (or eSim) now, to where they can operate as an independent device? I thought they functioned as an extension of your phone via bluetooth?
You have to buy the cellular version of the watch in order for you to use it independently, ie making calls, without having the phone on you. I have an Apple Watch and have 16 gigs of storage on this thing that let me download songs so I can listen to music on my earbuds while out on a walk without having to have my phone on me.

Back