Anyone uses Raspberrypi3 and retropie for emulation?

I was talking about the lag from modern TVs, not the usb protocol

In *game mode*, pixel refresh latency is typically under 16ms even on crappy TVs nowadays. But yeah, that's one reason why competitive gamers still cling to CRTs, as the pixel refresh rate can be considered instant. That's one area why all forms of LCD/LED fail.

I have, It typically costs me about $70 and that includes to SNES usb controllers along with a case that supports a fan. The SD Card size is 32gb I believe for the limit

This is my current favorite case for RetroPie builds:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRHDVTN

I also use 32GB cards mainly, but I'm starting to get a little low on space. Might need to upgrade to a 64GB soon. I also haven't messed around with the new Pi 3 B+ yet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So for your retropie users, beware that Nintendo is trying to sue ROM sites out of oblivion now.

So for your retropie users, beware that Nintendo is trying to sue ROM sites out of oblivion now.

Nintendo only sued because the emulator that was being used in that case was running ROM images directly off the internet; that's a huge no-no since the Emulator was tied directly to infringing content. Emulators remain perfectly legal, and the DMCA allows fair-use backup of your own games.

Oooh ok. Man the media made it sound like ROM sites were going byebye. Well that's fine then. Whewph.

There are other ways to get eoms besides ROM sites. Nintendo is not going to go after individuals.

Honestly don't understand why anyone uses those ad/malware filled sites to begin with, other ways to get them that are much faster/easier than fighting 5+ ad pop ups to download 1 backup of the game you totally own.

Last edited:
There are other ways to get eoms besides ROM sites. Nintendo is not going to go after individuals.

The least-illegal way is probably getting ahold of an Retrode to 'rip' your own cartridges.

This is my current favorite case for RetroPie builds:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BRHDVTN

I also use 32GB cards mainly, but I'm starting to get a little low on space. Might need to upgrade to a 64GB soon. I also haven't messed around with the new Pi 3 B+ yet.
I put my hands on a NESPi the other day. For $25 I was impressed.

Honestly don't understand why anyone uses those ad/malware filled sites to begin with, other ways to get them that are much faster/easier than fighting 5+ ad pop ups to download 1 backup of the game you totally own.

It's kinda like hooking up with a random person at the bar. You know, you could probably get a more certifiable clean individual. But...in the moment, you want it now.

It's kinda like hooking up with a random person at the bar. You know, you could probably get a more certifiable clean individual. But...in the moment, you want it now.
That's just it though, by the time you fight through all the ads and the "wait 30 seconds for your link" BS just for 1 torrent it's not worth it, then depending on where it's hosted speeds usually suck.

Certain private tracker sites take 1 search and 2 clicks then it's maxing out my 150 connection.

That's just it though, by the time you fight through all the ads and the "wait 30 seconds for your link" BS just for 1 torrent it's not worth it, then depending on where it's hosted speeds usually suck.

Certain private tracker sites take 1 search and 2 clicks then it's maxing out my 150 connection.

Yeah, but depending when you figure out when to bail....you might as well?

Nintendo / Sega / Sony should all make retro gaming SaaS sites we can play on for $5 per year each.

Would there be 10,000 subs per year? Probably....

That's 50K per year / per company!

Would it cost MORE than 50K for set up in the first year? Probably not.

Would it cost 50K per year to keep it running? Certainly not.

Would I pay $5 for one of them or $5 x 3 site = $15 per year to play stuff on all of them?

HELL YES !!!!!!

RE: the OP

My kid did this on a raspi3 + his PC with one of the virtual pi apps.

virtual raspi at DuckDuckGo

When I asked him about it - he said just use my old laptop - unless I really want a smaller system.

He suggested finding a portable system from a reputable supplier w/ good reviews on amazon.

Amazon.com: retro pi

I just wanted to play excitebike and other random stuff...

Last edited:
One word of warning. I got the iBuffalo Classic SNES USB controller, which gets rave reviews, but mine didn't work on my Pi... works perfectly on my laptop and PC though... perhaps it's a USB power issue and would work through a powered USB hub, I dunno, but I asked about getting a refund and the company went ahead and gave me one and told me I didn't need to send it back... I got a free controller WOOT... maybe they are aware of the issue and figure returning the controller is more work than it's worth.

Nintendo / Sega / Sony should all make retro gaming SaaS sites we can play on for $5 per year each.

Would I pay $5 for one of them or $5 x 3 site = $15 per year to play stuff on all of them?

HELL YES !!!!!!
Yeah it would cost more then 50k a year to run/setup the site. The salary of one person proabably be near $50k and I am sure they would need several people. Also unless they only put up games they have right too they will have to poney up license fees for each game. Sony already does it on PS4 for $20 a month with their stream service. I am sure Nintendo will get their store going eventually for the switch also.

I'd figure 1 guy for 3-4 months + some help from others for 1-2 months, so 6 "man months" total.

I mean, look at all of the existing material that you & I can get going in less than a week....

HELL YES !!!!!!

Remember this: Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and the console makers don't actually own 99% of the IPs. That's the one reason why most re-releases only contain games from certain companies, since there's a cost involved getting the permission to allow re-sale of the IPs. Especially since a lot of the companies that made classic games no longer exist.

Having some issues trying to override my core controller configuration for a specific system.

Does anyone know the exact config file per system that needs to be updated with the new controller setup?

I've tried both adding the updated controller options to the system retroarch config and also tried copying the entire core confg files and changing the system config to point there, neither worked.

Having some issues trying to override my core controller configuration for a specific system.

Does anyone know the exact config file per system that needs to be updated with the new controller setup?

I've tried both adding the updated controller options to the system retroarch config and also tried copying the entire core confg files and changing the system config to point there, neither worked.

I use vanilla Retroarch on the PC, and at least there you can override the defaults for either the current Core being used, or by game. You have to manually save it though, and I find it works much better if you exit and restart after you do. In any case, Retroarch creates new files for each saved config (core or game). I'm at work so I don't have the directories it saves to on me at the moment, but they aren't buried too deep. Not sure if RetroPi is much different; I'd imagine not.

Back